ARM flab - can you really get rid of it?

Options
When you have put on a lot of weight and your arms are a wreck - will hand weights really make a difference? Or at my age (60) am I just kidding myself that I can tighten it up? My husband has been doing them for the past year (he didn't have too bad a problem to begin with) and his arms look amazing, whereas mine flap in the wind. (Ha) He thinks I can make a difference with the hand weights. What do you think?

Replies

• cherylwhite
    cherylwhite Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump ...I have the same problem!
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You have to reduce your body fat
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Yes weights can help a lot, especially doing tricep exercises - I am seeing some progress myself. However, women (especially we older gals whose skin is not very elastic) have a rough time with arms and surgery may be required. I read somewhere you should wait at least a year after losing the weight and exercising before considering surgery.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I HAVE GAINED AND LOST WEIGHT SO MANY TIMES, I HAVE THE FLAB, AND THE FLAB WILL NOT GO AWAY, IT WON'T HURT TO LIFT LIGHT WEIGHTS ,BUT THE FLAB STAYS. I WAS TOLD BY A SURGEON SEVERAL YEARS AGO THAT SURGERY WOULD BE MY ONLY OPTION, SO I WILL LIVE WITH IT. PROBABLY NOT WHAT YOU WANTED TO HEAR, BUT, IT'S A FACT. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR WEIGH LOSS JOURNEY THO, RED
  • rhonda1981
    rhonda1981 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was just complaining about this the other day. When you find out please let me know!
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i've seen a plastic surgeon for a consult on tummy tuck and upper arm lift and i'm 36.....no, in my case it's not going away, it's hanging skin from years of yo-yo gaining and losing. at age 60, i would say it's probably not going anywhere if it's alot of skin and super saggy and seems excess (like stretched out beyond it's rebound ability).....men unfairly it seems have different make-up and more and bigger muscles and genetically aren't disposed to gain fat in the same way or areas as women
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You only have to look at some of the success stories on here to see it IS possible to lose arm flab. What works for some doesn't work for others. What harm can it hurt by doing exercises anyway. Tricep kickbacks and tricep bench dips get my arms burning.
  • VegasKC
    VegasKC Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks Everybody. I started the weights and I hope it helps but I am trying to be realistic about it too. As for surgery - who knows. I have to get the weight off first and i have a long way to go. If I do see any positive results, I'll let you guys know.
  • bcklee
    bcklee Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump