Going to a party tonight...Any SOCIAL EATERS like me??

Options
So i went over my calorie goal already today, then went running with all the time i had to even it back out. I ccannot eat one more thing today, or i will be back over. but tonight there will be tons of treats and goodies. What do you do in situations like this? is there anythihng you tell yourself, like make food seem gross in your mind or something?? I am very much a social eater so parties are my biggest struggles when it comes to controling food intake.
ADVICE??

Replies

• minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Eek this is my biggest problem also! Maybe stand away from the food tables? Always have some water in your hand so that you're holding something and won't unconsciously go and grab something? Or agree you can have a certain amount and pace it out over the night?
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Stay the he!! away from the food table!!! Keep a glass in your hand at all times and sip, sip, sip . . . and don't even look at the food table . . . walk a wide circle around it . . . . people always put out such great stuff at social parties . . . so don't even look!
  • christadoud
    christadoud Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am a social/emotional eater. Hunger has very little to do with what/when/why I eat. It is a constant challange. Lately I have been scheduling cheat days ( I allow 6 a year plus major holidays). we will see how that works ! Sorry I can't offer any real advice, but I feel your pain.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    water or diet soda. And the thing i try to remind myself is that if i indulge it will feel good for a minute or two but, if i manage to stay away, I will be so proud of myself when its over that i could jump up and down. Remind yourself of how good it will feel if you succeed. And, if you don't, f it. Just don't decide the day is lost and get run over by the wagon if you know what i mean. That food is laced with no nos and is high cal stuff, not the salads and samiches you make for yourself at home. Try to keep all that in mind.
    And report back tomorrow because i'm a social eater and will be cheering for you!
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    OH my gosh I wish I could help then I could help me too! I am having what my work calls "a pig out" tomorrow UGG!!!! Lord give me strength I am going to try to just stay really really busy and away from the table!
  • jpeper1966
    Options
    Promise yourself that you will burn off every one of the calories tomorrow. Then when you look at each snack compute how many miles it will cost you.

I suck at parties too. I actually try to avoid them when I am trying to lose weight. I use my suggested approach to keep me out of the snack pantry at home. I also use it to "earn" a dinner out.
  • theplanahead
    Options
    Hang out with the pickiest eater and keep thinking about having to run off every chip slathered in guacamole - or chow on a banana right before you get there - you'll feel totally full and not a bad way to replenish after your run - better banana calories than swedish meatball calories (put some celery sticks in your pocket).

It's hard - I know I have a hard time keeping my hands out of the chip bowl too! Sooooooo darned tempting. You can do it.
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with buffets and social events too. Try to limit yourself to either fruit or veggies. Those won't hurt you as much as the fattening goodies will...and the previous poster is right...you might bounce up a few pounds (like I did at Easter), but you can workout hard the next few days and be back to where you were...good luck!
  • AlexandraR2011
    AlexandraR2011 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    brush your teeth before you go, I rarely want to eat when I've just brushed my teeth and theyre minty.
  • Drealicious
    Options
    well, i avoided the red velvet cake, but i ate 4 chocolate chip coookies:( i didnt get to see all these awesome posts before i left. ughh i wish i had the strenghth
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a pretty solid success. It could have been better but it certainly could have been much worse!