saggy skin

Options
It's officially happened. I think now that I'm getting a bit older it's taking longer for my skin to catch up. I'm drinking a lot of water and soon I'll be adding weights. But I was wondering if anyone had any tips for dealing with this. I exfoliate 1-2 a week with a salt scrub/vitamin E mixture and I am using a collagen boosting lotion daily. By find my gut flopping out from under my belt and having to wear a good push up to keep the girls in place. My skin looks like a tan 12 hours a day! I was wondering if anyone had any tips on dealing with this? I feel disgusting. I'm thinking spanx and hoodies hahaha

Replies

• busymomwithboys
    busymomwithboys Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im sorry i have no advice but I feel your pain.. ive lost a total of 100lbs in the course of 19 months.. tho i cant say i have saggy skin.. yet.. but im well aware that its possible.. and the 'girls' well my treat to myself when i hit my goal are breast implants.. it must be done.. so sad.. but weight loss has been more detrimental on my breasts than pregnancy and nursing 4 babies.. but im glad i have been able to finally do this.. its been an amazing 19 months I have accomplished amazing things i didnt think were possible.. Im hoping running will help with the loose skin

CONGRATS on your journey :D
  • alligatorrawr
    alligatorrawr Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss!! I'll be okay once my skin tighten up a bit. I don't mind having small girls too much, just super annoyed with the floppiness right now!! I really think spans and hoods are going to be my new tank top hahaha
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    They say it's all time and genetics.
  • d8106red
    d8106red Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Probably not what you want to hear, but after talking to my surgeon the other day, he basically said until you can cut "this" off, use spanx, there is nothing going to help when you are losing this much weight, except for surgery. If I could go back 10 years, I'd tell my 20 year old self, get your food issues together now, because even when you lose the weight you still have so many more issues to deal with like loose skin...urgh!
  • silverteacup
    silverteacup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think age has something to do with it the older you are the less your skin will recover....that said ample water and weights definitely help I can vouch for that. After losing 184 lbs I definitely have some sag but I think it would be much worse if I didn't have some muscle to better support the skin.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    d8106red wrote: »
    Probably not what you want to hear, but after talking to my surgeon the other day, he basically said until you can cut "this" off, use spanx, there is nothing going to help when you are losing this much weight, except for surgery. If I could go back 10 years, I'd tell my 20 year old self, get your food issues together now, because even when you lose the weight you still have so many more issues to deal with like loose skin...urgh!

I agree with what you said and wish "I could go back 10 years, I'd tell my (younger) self..." I have some other medical issues + age, so I am not sure what the advice will be. I plan to hit goal by the end of January 2015...

73641431.png
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi Alli, we all react differently I guess but age is a major factor and you still have that on your side. From personal experience what affected me the most was how quick I lost the weight, so my advise is go slow. Weight training helps a lot because that muscles compensate for the space left underneath the skin as you lose fat
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    d8106red wrote: »

This. It's genetics, and how long you were overweight etc. Skin will recover faster if it was stretched for a couple years instead of 10, for example.

I have a lot of loose skin, and there's no amount of weight training that will fix it, no matter what people say (plus really, muscle is under the skin, not in the skin, so I can't even fathom how it would make any difference).
  • MyMalfunction7
    MyMalfunction7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    While age can be a factor, I lost all of my weight between ages 15 and 21 and still had loose skin. I think a lot of it really is the speed you lose it at and the natural, genetic elasticity of your skin.
  • alligatorrawr
    alligatorrawr Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    thanks for your input!! luckily I've only had this much extra weight for a year, so I hope I bounce back a little quicker :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I moisturise often and take a grape seed extract supplement which is supposed to help with collagen production. I also take vit C 3 times a day.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Beef ravioli?
  • joshpass
    joshpass Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    ya it sucks. i lost 160 so i have loose skin. it tightened up a bit but i still have a lot. it does suck that for only a 5-10 year period, I let myself go and now I have loose skin to remind me for the rest of my life. it's hard for it not to depress me but it could definitely be worse, that's for sure!
  • Ale81CL
    Options
    The only way i'm ever gonna get a flat belly is with a tummy tuck :(
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I lose very slowly. I often console myself by reminding myself that if I lost faster, I might have more loose skin.

I hate my loose skin.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    25 is still young. Weight train and you'll be fine.
  • joshpass
    joshpass Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i was 25 when I lost all my weight. ive had my loose skin since then. but everyone is different. some people don't get loose skin. some do.
  • kahulalui
    Options
    Ale81CL wrote: »
    The only way i'm ever gonna get a flat belly is with a tummy tuck :(

Ditto. I have lost and gained weight too many times but, I deal.