Need to jump start my program

Options
Any one have a good 21 day diet/menu program that can help me jump start my weight loss? I don't want some fad, meal shake or paleo über strict plan. I'm looking for a healthy low fat real food plan to help me get on track. I have to feed kids/ teens too! I do walk 4 days a week. Any tips about strength training would also be appreciated!:happy:

Replies

• lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You don't need to 'jump-start' anything. Seriously! The best thing you can do to jump start your weight loss is to figure out how many calories you burn each day and eat an amount less than that depending on how fast you want to lose. You don't need to cut anything out so long as you stay within that goal. Play around with logging in MFP, plan and log ahead the meals you want to make and see how they fit into your calorie goal and macros. Weigh all your food with a digital scale. Most people do better this way because you are learning how to use portion control and maintain healthy eating in the long term, eating the foods/meals YOU like :)

If you don't normally cook healthy meals and are stuck for ideas there are tons of low-cal resources and recipes available online! Pick the ones with ingredients that you and your kids will enjoy. Good luck!

Edit: OP if you do have your heart set on following a set meal plan, try this site http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/weight_loss_diet_plans/diet_meal_plans/weight_loss_diet_meal_plan :)
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Oh as for strength training, I found it helpful to hire a personal trainer for one or two sessions just to show me how to do it properly (with the free weights). Check out Stronglifts 5x5, that seems to get a lot of cred around here!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    By the way, fat is good. Cut down on the carbs for yourself and the family.
    Good two week menus.
    Also make an account on pinterest.com

http://www.thebettermom.com/2014/09/27/bi-weekly-whole-food-meal-plan-for-sept-28-oct-11/
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    The only tips I have are to incorporate more veggies and add some resistance training. Logging really jump started it for me. Once I started recording what I was eating the weight started coming off.

Edited to correct my grammar.
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Nothing amazing to add to the discussion. I just love that you spelled über correctly.
  • olivflo
    olivflo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What has helped me is cutting my starches after 3pm. I'll make chicken alfredo for the family, but instead of eating the pasta I'll just use broccoli as my base or slice and sautee zuchinni. Spaghetti squash is really good too. Lots of chicken/fish and veggies. Just think no breads, pasta, or rice at night. I'll have taco night and have tortillas for the kids but use lettuce for my tacos. I'm all about trying to make a family dinner that everyone can eat that's healthy, but can be even healthier with other options for me. Kiddos need carbs they're growing ;) I hardly ever buy ground beef, I'm all about the ground turkey and my family can't even tell the difference. Ha! As for strength training, start with your own body weight. Push-ups, sit-ups lunges, etc, but if you don't want to pay for a trainer, look up videos online for correct body positioning and have your hubby or kids watch you and tell you what to fix. Body position is KEY! I'm a big believer in being able to control your own body weight first before venturing into weights. If you can't do a push up, but can lift 150lbs, there's something wrong with that picture. lol. Hope this helps. Add me if you'd like!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    There's no jump starting, this is for the long haul, meaning permanent. That's what MFP is all about.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You can jump start you weight loss by buying a food scale, weighing all solid foods and measuring liquids, logging everything you eat, and making sure that you eat less calories than you burn.

Once you get the hang of it, it's really easy. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    What has helped me is cutting my starches after 3pm. I'll make chicken alfredo for the family, but instead of eating the pasta I'll just use broccoli as my base or slice and sautee zuchinni. Spaghetti squash is really good too. Lots of chicken/fish and veggies. Just think no breads, pasta, or rice at night. I'll have taco night and have tortillas for the kids but use lettuce for my tacos. I'm all about trying to make a family dinner that everyone can eat that's healthy, but can be even healthier with other options for me. Kiddos need carbs they're growing ;) I hardly ever buy ground beef, I'm all about the ground turkey and my family can't even tell the difference. Ha! As for strength training, start with your own body weight. Push-ups, sit-ups lunges, etc, but if you don't want to pay for a trainer, look up videos online for correct body positioning and have your hubby or kids watch you and tell you what to fix. Body position is KEY! I'm a big believer in being able to control your own body weight first before venturing into weights. If you can't do a push up, but can lift 150lbs, there's something wrong with that picture. lol. Hope this helps. Add me if you'd like!
    No starch after 3pm and no bread pasta or rice is not necessary. There is nothing wrong with those foods anytime of day.

And a taco with lettuce instead of tortilla is really sad.
    Indeed it is.
  • kaylene5
    kaylene5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I'm not trying to cut out healthy fats just the bad kind.thanks for the links those are great. Insight from others really helps. I know this is long term I've just been really stuck.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Jump Starting is for cars not humans. Buy a food scale, log everything you put in your mouth, find the most accurate entries in the database - get your logging in check. An accurate diary can really get the scale moving especially when you've been stuck. I was stuck for the longest time and once I got really honest in my diary again and started using my food scale and being more accurate in my diary I started losing again.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Just eat at a deficit. Use a food scale, weigh and measure everything.