Running on outside of foot??

Options
I am wondering if there is anyone out there that tends to predominately walk/run on the outside of their foot (the side with the baby toes) I have walked like this for my entire adult life and always thought that the reason my legs hurt, was because I was obese. Now I am no longer obese (still overweight) and earlier in the year bought a new pair of walking shoes. I now realize the way I walk is what is causing my issues. My legs didn't hurt when I first bought my shoes but as the outside of the shoe wears down and my feet end up on more and more of an angle, my knees and hips are hurting more as well.

I would love to hear others experiences. My real question is.... is there anything I can do about this? (beyond buying new shoes CONSTANTLY) Thanks in advance.

Replies

• midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'd see a podiatrist or orthopedist, and get a referral for physical therapy.
  • Winchesterfied
    Winchesterfied Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sounds like overpronation. I tend to overpronate on my right foot only(what the heck?) and it also occasionally gives me pain, and wears down the side of my shoe! I'd say get some shoes that are specifically for overpronaters that offer lots of stability.
    If it is severe maybe you should see a doctor and see what they have to say.
  • sierra2k
    sierra2k Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I learned about it when I started running and I was having similar pain in my hips mostly. There are running shoes that are designed to give extra support on the outside of the foot to help correct this issue. My suggestion would be to try a pair. Often companies who specialize in athletic footwear will have overpronator as an option to search for the best shoe to fit your needs. If you are still having pain issues or the pain is sharp and "shooting" you should see a orthopedist a.s.a.p.! This is more likely nerve pain and needs to be addressed.
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Sounds like overpronation. I tend to overpronate on my right foot only(what the heck?) and it also occasionally gives me pain, and wears down the side of my shoe! I'd say get some shoes that are specifically for overpronaters that offer lots of stability.

Actually I believe over-pronators role severely the inside of the foot while running & walking. Supination is under-pronation, staying on the outside of the foot or toeing-off. Physical Therapy can help this, but in the Meanwhile a running store will fit you in shoes for under pronation to help with your running.

If you only have wear on one shoe are you running on a canted surface? It could be partially the lean of the ground wearing the edge of one shoe more than the other. Just a thought.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm having issues with some pain when I "run". I'm going to go to the local running company and have them do a gait analysis and recommend new shoes for me. I figure they're far more versed in proper running form than I am.
  • Winchesterfied
    Winchesterfied Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    fabnine wrote: »

Actually I believe over-pronators role severely the inside of the foot while running & walking. Supination is under-pronation, staying on the outside of the foot or toeing-off. Physical Therapy can help this, but in the Meanwhile a running store will fit you in shoes for under pronation to help with your running.

If you only have wear on one shoe are you running on a canted surface? It could be partially the lean of the ground wearing the edge of one shoe more than the other. Just a thought.

Oh snap, I've had it wrong all along! I guess I underpronate. Thank you for the correction! I feel dumb haha

And it's not just on my running shoes. I get the side wore on most of my daily go-to shoes and boots that I just wear going places or to class, so the surface varies but I'd say a majority is even and flat. When I check the bottoms, the scraping is dead-center on my left shoes and all the way on the right for my right shoes.
  • Gharley64
    Gharley64 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've walked on the outer edge of my left foot my entire life. So many podiatrists cannot tell me why. I have had orthodics for the last 10 years, but it does not help. I make a conscious effort to not do it.
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    jsandie76 wrote: »
    I am wondering if there is anyone out there that tends to predominately walk/run on the outside of their foot (the side with the baby toes) I have walked like this for my entire adult life and always thought that the reason my legs hurt, was because I was obese. Now I am no longer obese (still overweight) and earlier in the year bought a new pair of walking shoes. I now realize the way I walk is what is causing my issues. My legs didn't hurt when I first bought my shoes but as the outside of the shoe wears down and my feet end up on more and more of an angle, my knees and hips are hurting more as well.

I would love to hear others experiences. My real question is.... is there anything I can do about this? (beyond buying new shoes CONSTANTLY) Thanks in advance.
    It sounds like you've had some pain-free time in your new shoes so could I ask 2 questions?
    1. Are you a new runner? There is a bit of discomfort involved in learning to run. Soreness that resolves with in less than a day or two is normal. It's just your body strengthening & repairing itself. Sudden sharp pain that lasts for more than a day or two or forces you to alter your stride is worth talking to a doctor about.

2. How old are your shoes? Before I was a runner I wore the same sneakers for a year or more. Now I need to replace my running shoes every few months. Some shoes are better than others, but generally they only last 500-600 miles. I know some die-hard runners who replace them at 400 miles. I hate having to buy new expensive shoes, but if the alternative is wrecking my joints-new shoes it is.
    Lastly, I highly recommend Chi Running or Chi Walking by Danny Dreyer he does a beautiful job explaining the mechanics of movement & how to improve your stride.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I pretty much favor the inside of my right foot. My right toe tends to "grab" the ground- really wearing the front big toe side of my right shoe. I figure this is remnant from my pterodactyl ancestry. lol