Dancers

Options
Hey there lovelies, I just wanted to make a space for dancers that want to go through a healthy weightloss.
So, just post what kind of dance you do or want to do and your journey.
I dance contemporary/modern intermediate'advanced level and next year I will begin with ballet. Very excited!
Cheers!

Replies

• Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I take classical ballet! It's definitely not easy, especially since I started 3 years ago, but I love every minute of it! I'm working hard and hoping one day to be able to dance en pointe.
  • caimay149
    caimay149 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hip hop and locking. Very intense class/rehearsal schedule and I'm constantly struggling to get enough rest! Here I am in a class:
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    caimay149 wrote: »
    Hip hop and locking. Very intense class/rehearsal schedule and I'm constantly struggling to get enough rest! Here I am in a class:

That is AWESOME! I can relate! Even though I don't take hip-hop, at ballet, I'm the one with sweat rolling down my face and chest, (aside from the fact that we're in an un-airconditioned studio, I'm the 36 year old in with the teen girls. My instructor that taught the adult class was unable to teach again this year, so the owner of the school (her sister) just stuck me in the Thursday night class, which is the advanced class, it's the girls who have been dancing since they were *literally* 3 and 4 years old. They're all extremely supportive of me, and surprisingly enough, to have only been dancing for 3 years, I can keep up at the barre, it's once we move to the center of the floor that I am MUCH slower, my technique needs a LOT of refinement, and there are things they can do that I can't.

My favorite was a few weeks ago, when Cindy, our instructor told us to pointe our feet- she said, and I quote- "Girls, I want to see you pointe your feet NOW!!! I want to see what they look like NOW! Not what they're gonna look like when you're thirty!"

I looked at her and said, "standing right here!" Everyone burst out laughing!

(Taking a "selfie" of yourself while en sous sus without the barre isn't the easiest, so this picture is ALL kinds of blurry! *LOL*)

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I am a middle eastern folk dancer- to everyone around me and in very broad terms- but I'm a bellydancer- and have been for almost a decade. I take west african- modern- some ballet- and I have tried to start incorporating hip hip- but my teachers are very grounded in old school dance- one is a former heavy duty tapper- the other was big on hip hop- so we have a broad range of how we dance even though it's still "bellydance" lots of 'flavor' (so- I'm not talking - belly-fit stuff)

I love it- we work hard- like really hard. I know what a jazz run is (no thanks lmao and I can do chenne turns- and we do a lot of plie' squats. we are dancers. and I love it. every second.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Modern jive and blues for me. I try out some new things from time to time - but it has to be partner dancing for me.
  • cmpilgrim
    cmpilgrim Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I take pole dancing, but just for fitness and because it's fun!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I take classical ballet and various styles of bellydance.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am also a contemporary/modern dancer. I also do many types of dance for fun such as African, Swing, Salsa. I will try any kind of dance. I choreograph/perform, and I also teach dance for performance (mostly to children at this time).
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I am a professional shagger. It's a form of swing.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Jacwhite22 wrote: »

Lol. I always get a lot of comments when I say Swing dance.

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I can only imagine. What form(s) do you do? collegiate shag, lindy hop, west coast, etc?
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Not dance, but cheer. (Although I adore watching dance!) I would like to be in better shape to teach the routines and spot tumbling.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I haven't danced in about10 years. I danced from age 3 to age 24. I miss it and am contemplating taking some classes through Ballet Arizona, just trying to decide what level and which day works best. In my 20+ years I think I have done every form of dance, staples were ballet/pointe, modern, tap and jazz.

I quit because I felt my only option was teaching and I didn't have a good experience with that early on. I wish I had stuck with it though!
  • BinaryPulsar
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Jacwhite22 wrote: »

Lol. I always get a lot of comments when I say Swing dance.

I just do it for fun. I have done Lindy and west coast. I have probably done some other kinds, but didn't remember the name. I'm still just learning. But, it is very fun.

I would think professional shagger would get some comments from people even more than just saying swing dance.

• EvaStrange
    EvaStrange Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My Flamenco classes are the bright light at the end of my day. This past week we've been on an autumn break, and I've had to drop two classes because I'm going back to school – which sucks. I just want to dance!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I used to do ballet also when I was younger. And I also have done Japanese Butoh Dance.
  • iGipsy
    iGipsy Posts: 6 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hi. I do various styles of bellydance, and sacred dance as well as instruct classes. Absolutely adore this art form.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm a professional bellydancer. I've been doing that for 12 years, and used to dance on average 5-6 shows / week. A year and a half ago I mived to a new area where dancing opportunities are scarce, so I have been dancing very minimally. Adding that to the stress of the new job, nothing to do in this town, I gained a lot of weight, and hadn't been able to lose any until I found MFP.
    In the past 3 weeks I lost 9 lbs :) I already feel so much better and my costume fit awesome when I performed last night.

I used to teach classes, and that also kept me in shape, but given that in this town there are a few teachers, there might not be room for another teacher.
    I want to lose 30 more lbs, which will put me at my best weight.
  • miriams76
    miriams76 Posts: 138 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I dance flamenco as a hobby. I did it when I was young into my teens and then again for the past six years with my daughter. We had a bit of an issue the past couple of years with a teacher from one school who had been asking us and other students to perform for free at restaurants, private gigs, concerts etc but was asking/receiving professional fees from those venues whilst often not dancing herself and not giving us lessons or anything in exchange either. Her reasoning was , as one of the ex-students told me after a blowup between them about a wedding event, is that she is the professional and we are not. Good enough to dance at professional gigs = good enough to pay something though. However I have recently been taking classes with my daughter's awesome school whom she switched over to last year where the expectations about performances are very clear and ethical. I also respond better to their teaching method. Looking forward to another year and the new dances.
  • kali_debruin
    Options
    I currently dance only hip-hop. In June, I will be starting color guard (not exactly dance but similar). In August, I will be rejoining my dance team (I was on it last year but decided to take a foreign exchange year) where we normally dance pom, lyrical, and jazz.