Anyone know of any good exercises to do at home (that burn some calories) and how to log them?

Options
OK, so I go jogging every second day, not far, but for about 20-25 minutes, just to get my heart rate up and actually do something active, seeing as I've been VERY lazy for the past 8 years. I don't want to go every day, seeing as my knees are abused from playing soccer on a high level for many years and if I start doing it every day my legs will just give in (speaking from experience).
BUT... I do want to increase my level of activity, preferably at home (seeing as I can't afford a gym pass right now) especially for those rainy/snowy days.

Any recommendations and how to log them would be much appreciated! :)

Replies

• LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Check out fitnessblender.com. They have hundreds of (free) videos that also include an estimation of range of calories burned. I always logged the lowest estimation while I was following their workouts (to avoid overestimating since I'm a short-ish and not obese woman) and it worked well for me.
  • nusiax
    nusiax Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have fitness bands for when I travel and need to work out from home. Love them. You have to get the elastic that is right for your strength.

And I also do Pilates at home. Great for the core. There are several apps for our Phone or Tablet. And Youtube as way too many videos on the subject. Great to get started.

For your knees try deep water jogging. I have leg issues and deep water jog 3 to 4 times a week for 1 to 2 hours. Depending on schedule and how tired I get. But I wear a FitBit Flex in the pool. And I have gone from 2,000 steps and hour to 7,000 steps an hour in 5 months.
  • Dizzzlel
    Dizzzlel Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use the fitstar app and find it great. Logs back into MFP. Minimal monthly charge but totally worth it. I travel for work and find it very user friendly.
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Definitely second fitnessblender.com, they have been excellent for me to work out with at home.
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. You can find it for free on youtube but you might wanna skip some parts that are too hard on the knees.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Go on YouTube and search for workout videos
  • WMDemetree
    WMDemetree Posts: 3,923 Member
    Options
    Good advice guys, thanks.
  • brminor
    brminor Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Go to YouTube and type in Fitness Blender. They have a lot of free workout videos. I love them!
  • Poofersgrl
    Poofersgrl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    how do you log fitness blender workouts?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight circuits from newfitness. WHOOOie. dang. that is what they are - they are 'dang'.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you have damaged knees, you may want to prevent future injuries or faster deterioration by walking, not running. If you have uphill roads or streets where you are, walk uphill to increase your heart rate. I stopped running because of tendon issues in my feet that I don't want to end up becoming chronic. I use MapMyWalk on my phone to track distance, calories burned, etc. which can be synched with MFP. I also downloaded Runtastic Heart Rate app to see where I'm at while resting or walking. I also have a stationary bike at home that I use on alternate days.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sweetalot. I get lightyears more out of walking than running and I can keep up a faster pace much longer. It's nothing for me to walk a 5K in 40 minutes, but that's the same speed I probably run one at :P
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Same here, I could walk for hours with a very brisk pace but hate lifting my whole body off the ground aka running. Just can't do it.
  • maxmax12345678
    Options
    please can you answer my discussion :(
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics. As long as it's tough to do, your body will continue to change.

http://youtu.be/POdzasJklxw
  • tia530
    tia530 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Dance
    Cleaning
    Push-ups
    Sit-ups
    Jumping Jacks
    Jump Rope
    Hula Hoop
    Trampoline (small one)
    Squats
    Lunges
    Pelvic raises/tilts
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    check out the app "sworkit" it logs straight to mfp
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Poofersgrl wrote: »
    how do you log fitness blender workouts?

They give estimations of range of calories burned for every video on their website (there's a link in the description on the youtube videos) and MFP lets you enter custom exercises.
  • akuaafriyie
    akuaafriyie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters about fitness blender. very simple and effective
  • AvalonAdelaide
    Options
    Thank you all for the lovely advice! :)
    I decided to try the 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels (purely because I can always somehow fit it in with my plans) and log it as circuit training until I can get a HRM (which probably won't be until Christmas :P)
    Did 2 days, which was soooo hard, but could really feel all the benefits, until I went down hard with the flu. Hoping to start up again tomorrow, starting from day 1.... again :)