Menopause -- it's all changing!

Options
I used to be able to drop weight easily. 20 pounds has piled on quickly. I'm back to tracking and definitely getting out walking and doing yoga. Looking for accountability friends on MFP. Best of luck!

Replies

• UberGinger
    UberGinger Posts: 2
    edited October 2014
    Options
    anyone?
  • Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm going through the same. Trying to lose +/- 20 lbs. I've been exercising hard and eating 'fairly' well for the last 3 months. It's starting to come off at a snail's pace. I'm just coming off a week's vacation ... scared to step on the scale, because every lb lost so far required a LOT of effort, something I haven't given much thought to over the last nine days! Keep it up. Eventually it WILL come off; consistency is key. :-)
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. The gaining was awful. It just suddenly started gaining and gaining. I was doing the same things that had helped me lose 10 lbs and maintain it, yet I was gaining. I have finally started losing. I cannot express the sense of relief at seeing the number on the scale go down instead of up. I'll send you a friend request.
  • absinthia70
    absinthia70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Going through the same thing here - my metabolism isn't near what it used to be and every pound is a struggle - gained a lot during vacation too and now back on here trying to lose it all this time!
  • kinmoratree
    kinmoratree Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'll send you a friend request. I'm not there yet, but I'm seeing some of the signposts. Be warned, I'm honest about my food and it's not always "good".
  • Belsie1968
    Belsie1968 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just added you Uberginger :-) I use MYP alot and have many friends with it that comment and keep me accountable. I also use the Fitbit Flex for tracking my steps had it about 2-3 months and love it. I'm currently trying to quit sugar, which has been hard this week as my body is detoxing from it. But I'm loving my results.
    My scales are slowly coming down with 20kg lost in 4.5 months but I do have about another 20kgs to go :smiley:
    cheers Bel
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    sending you a friend request as well. I let myself gain wayyyy too much weight during menopause. Congrats to you for not letting it go too far.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Add me too. Just starting this and it's going straight to my waist. Not happy.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Hi Welcome to MFP, its been a struggle to lose while going through menopause, i tell you what, with strength and and consistency it is certainly doable! I sent you a friend request.
  • arabellamoore451
    Options
    Hi Ginger: I was diagnosed with full menopause 17 years ago. Up until that time, I was able to live my life without too much worry about weight gain. The first 10 lbs came on over night...or so it felt like. I am now 30+lb heavier than I was when first diagnosed and that is WITH trying and trying and trying. I am now using fitbit, mfp and I have joined a gym. To be honest, I am a bit frightened by how my body has changed beyond it's recognition. I shudder to think what I'd look like if I hadn't spent all this time focusing on eating and moving. Would I have gained 200lbs?!? SCARY
  • Yourkindagirl
    Yourkindagirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I used to drop pounds so quickly. Now it is soooooo hard to lose just a little bit. I have finally begun to lose, but I had to cut a lot of carbs to do it. It would be nice to have some friends experiencing the same thing. I've gone through menopause and it seems as if my metabolism is what paused.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Well, I can definitely relate ... although to be totally honest it started with Baby (a little bit, but who cares, right?) and continued with Being A Mom (because cooking and snacks, but that's OK for a while, right?) and then, bang, menopause and OH NO!!! I'm new and actually, not to sound like an alien, but "what is this thing called Friends?" Seriously. You, like, look at each other's food diary or something? (Hah. Mine might seem funny. I'm not even in the First World.) Definitely gotta LOSE though and always game for new things. Except for another 20 pounds. (Last weigh-in said 17 pounds to go, but like someone else said I just got back from vacation and ... cue music from Jaws.)
  • narasoel
    narasoel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would also like to join you. The last time I lost 25 pounds in roughly 4 months just by running and being careful with what I ate. I stopped running, the pounds came back and now the knees hurt and in the middle of menopause. I'm having difficulty getting any exercise in, but think it's more mental than physical. I'm not new to MFP, but never have joined a group so not sure how this friend requesting goes. Please help.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Add me too. Just starting this and it's going straight to my waist. Not happy.

The weight going straight to my waist bothers me too. I've always had an hourglass shape & am not used to gaining in my waist.

On a side note, I have had several women my age tell me cutting carbs has helped them lose weight. Two said they seriously struggled to lose until they cut them. I was always able to focus on calorie counting to lose but that stopped working. I should try cutting carbs.

I'm happy to have friends who understand so feel free to add me.
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have sent you a friend request. Previously I could lose weight, 5 years ago during a stressful six months I gained over 20lb and I can't seem to lose it. I struggle to get down to 150lb and can't go any further.

I could probably live with the weight except that it is all on my belly.
    Kincar wrote: »
    On a side note, I have had several women my age tell me cutting carbs has helped them lose weight. Two said they seriously struggled to lose until they cut them. I was always able to focus on calorie counting to lose but that stopped working. I should try cutting carbs.

I'm happy to have friends who understand so feel free to add me.

I've also heard that cutting carbs helps. I have only started tracking on MFP again so will look at how to cut them.

• CeeCeeMee
    CeeCeeMee Posts: 356 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Don't know if anyone will want to add me or not, since my problem isn't losing weight so much as toning right now.

I had a total hysterectomy three years ago. At that time I was right at 200 pounds. At 5' tall, that was w-a-y too much! Even still, I didn't actually start doing something about my weight until last year.

But I'm always open to new MFP friends and strong support systems! I have my food diary set as "Public" and do have both bad and good eating habits.

At, 557 days on MFP (so far), I don't expect to be not going away anytime soon. Letting myself go to pot was a gradual, habit-forming task. Getting back to where I should be, health and weight-wise, will be as well. :D
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Yeah, I cut out wheat/grain products and I think it's definitely helped ... my husband has managed that for 3-4 years (!!!), and he finds it helps, so that's inspirational. Basically it makes it easy to cut out the tempting crap or the meaningless calories (like another piece of bread, too much rice etc.) I limit myself to eating it when I'm at a restaurant, say, and it looks REALLY worth it. Or if it's pizza. Can't cut out pizza :smile:
  • dalesloanb
    Options
    Hi i'm new to MFP and have reently gained 20 pounds around my middle as i enter perimenopause. I'm really bummed and have not had success dropping this weight and another 20 pounds. Today i'm starting and could use some support from others. My worst time is at night between 7 and 10 pm EST.
  • trulabfloyd
    Options
    I have been through he "change" for 3 years now and I have noticed a change. Thicker waist and it is much more difficult to lose. But exercising regularly and trying to watch what I eat. MFP is GREAT for support and helpful friends to encourage you on. Yes I would be happy to be your buddy too!
  • welshpoppy
    welshpoppy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am the same have 28pounds to shift and can not shift it no matter what I try been here around a year or more.