Your recipes for a lower sodium chili and taco seasoning

Options
LaVie13
LaVie13 Posts: 143 Member
I have been buying the reduced sodium packets of chili and taco seasoning , but still going over my sodium intake on the days I cook with these. What are your recipes for a homemade or store bought that are low in sodium. Also , the favor has to be mild. Thanks

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Here is my taco seasoning (makes the equivalent of one packet):

1.0 tbsp Chili powder
    2.0 tsp Onion powder
    1.0 tsp Ground Cumin
    1.0 tsp Garlic powder
    1.0 tbsp Paprika
    1.0 tsp Ground Oregano

Just remember that you need to add a thickener to make it like commercial packets of taco seasoning. I typically use cornstarch but flour or arrowroot will work

Without the thickener added (for the entire recipe): 78 calories, 0 fat, 18 g carb, 6 g protein, and 84 g sodium.

58841349.png
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Where do you live? Penzeys Spices chili seasoning is salt free and it comes in regular, medium, and hot. You can mail order it if you don't have a store near you. The only ingredients are ancho chili pepper powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, and Mexican oregano.

58841349.png
  • LaVie13
    Options

thank you. I will try the recipe and see about ordering the packets online. 84mg of sodium is way better than 1500mg reduced packet.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash makes no sodium taco and chili seasoning packets. The taco mix is mild, but I don't know about the chili one.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I usually just mix a can of kidney beans with some low sodium ketchup and chopped chili peppers. Melt 3 cups of butter in that mixture and it's to die for. I can't tell you my secret spices, but I've had major companies try and buy my exact recipe because it's so good.
  • LaVie13
    Options
    I will look at the Ms. Dash and see if my local stores carry them also. DavePFJ , thats sounds good but then I would be worrying about the fat count. :)

I think Im just going to have to start making everything from scratch. Made my son and me son pizza minis and two biscuits is over 900mg sodium.
  • earlnabby
    edited October 2014
    Options
    LaVie13 wrote: »

I think Im just going to have to start making everything from scratch. Made my son and me son pizza minis and two biscuits is over 900mg sodium.

That is what I do for everything except chili powder (I buy from Penzeys). Many of the ingredients for these seasonings are similar so once you have a stash of onion and garlic powders, oregano, paprika, cumin, etc., you will be able to make up many of your own seasonings.