Struggling with following gluten & dairy free diet

Options
Hi,
I was wondering of anyone had any advice on how to follow a gluten/dairy free diet and still feel like they are not being deprived of stuff. I have really been struggling with this. I grew up eating a normal diet so I know what "normal" food tastes like. I will be honest some gluten free food tastes nasty and is ridiculously expensive. Any suggestions on how to eat healthy but still feel like you get to "indulge" at times? Thanks

Replies

• bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Is there any reason you must eat a diary and gluten free diet? While wheat products can be replaced with other grains like oatmeal and rice, eliminating diary eliminates your best source of calcium and a good source of protein.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    is there a medical reason to no longer include them as a part of your diet? or is it just personal preference? also gluten free has really no benefit to you if you don't have a sensitivity/celiac's disease as far i know. i don't consume dairy myself, and found it pretty easy to cut cold turkey and just got over the cravings eventually. plus there's so many alternatives when it comes to milk (rice, almond, flax, hemp, coconut, soy etc) that i don't mind not having animal milk. cheese is really the only thing i sometimes miss, but make do with vegan/nondairy recipes online. you just have to find the right ones. almond/yeast combinations are popular in recipes to create cheeselike consistency and still have protein. but like if you have no medical reason to quit either i wouldn't worry about it! weight loss will happen no matter what at a deficit.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Unless you have celiac disease, there's not a reason to avoid gluten as long as you keep your servings of wheat per day reasonable. Gluten free is a fad--I saw oranges advertised as gluten free. Dairy is a bit trickier, a lot of people have allergies and intolerances to dairy. Unless dairy makes you sick, there is no reason to exclude.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    As others said, there's no reason to restrict these foods if there are no medical reasons for it. I eat gluten-free (4+ years) because if I do eat gluten I wind up with IBS issues, so it's just easier for me to buy naturally gluten-free foods or look for foods that are specifically made to be gluten-free. I tried dairy-free first, as I was doing it to see if I'd feel better and see improvements in my skin and neither changed by going dairy-free, so... i eat it all the time still.

I can pretty much tolerate gluten once in a while, but then afterwards I feel bloated, gassy, and half the time it's painful. Then I'll be constipated or have diarrhea. This is even fi I just eat it once in a while. But if this is not an issue.... then eat it? Weight loss is about calories in < calories out.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    jeheer wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was wondering of anyone had any advice on how to follow a gluten/dairy free diet and still feel like they are not being deprived of stuff. I have really been struggling with this. I grew up eating a normal diet so I know what "normal" food tastes like. I will be honest some gluten free food tastes nasty and is ridiculously expensive. Any suggestions on how to eat healthy but still feel like you get to "indulge" at times? Thanks

Just my 2¢... I went gluten and dairy free for awhile, as an act of solidarity with my husband, who suspected he had allergies. Initially, I lost a lot of weight, but I had to learn to love vegetables and meat. You can find a ton of satisfying recipes on http://www.marksdailyapple.com or do a search for Paleo recipes and see what you get. Most days, it was a veggie omelet or scrambled eggs for breakfast, a salad for lunch (with meat), and various recipes for dinner. I was happy when we figured out DH could have gluten and dairy, but I really haven't made them a huge part of my diet since then. One of my favorite go-to meals to this day is a Seeds of Change Indian sauce (tikka masala, korma, etc.), mixed with chopped up chicken and poured over a bed of broccoli.

Gluten free products are a total waste of money. Just crappy tasting processed foods. It's much cheaper and not much more trouble to learn to eat real food.
  • pomegranatemint
    pomegranatemint Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You get used to it.

I use lactose free milk, and you might find light tasty cheese okay.

"Matured cheeses, (Cheddar, Edam, Tasty and Swiss cheese) are low in lactose and are suitable for a low lactose diet."

Gluten, well I do things like rice puffs, rice crackers, rice cakes, rice noodles etc. I too don't bother with gluten free products, they are full of products I can't have anyway, and a lot of the preservatives don't agree with me anyway. I don't even bother with gluten free flour now, because any ingredients I tried to bind with it, just doesn't work well my tummy.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    it really depends on WHY you are doing it. if you have health issues which require it, i would say that feeling well and being strong internally would be motivation enough. if you are just following a fad or trying to lose weight, it will be darn near impossible to do. my daughter has a very high sensitivity to gluten and has severe stomach distress when she ingests it, so we went GF a long time ago and it's very easy for me personally. (i have some sensitivities to it as well, although not as severe as hers, but i get bloated, headaches, sometimes a rash, esp if i eat corn) **ETA yes i know corn doesn't have gluten, but it causes me to have a rash on occasion so i thought i would mention*

my advice is to go completely cold-turkey. there are tons of alternatives such as fresh fruits & veggies, meats (check labels if they are packaged meats) nuts, seeds, etc.

i personally would avoid "gluten-free" products because they usually offer little nutrition. if my daughter wants a cookie (which 6-year-old doesn't??) then i will bake some GF cookies, but for the most part, we stick to whole foods.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    jeheer wrote: »
    Hi,
    Any suggestions on how to eat healthy but still feel like you get to "indulge" at times? Thanks
    Eating healthy does not mean you have to give up anything. Why are you going gluten/dairy?
  • tracylbrown839
    tracylbrown839 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Going Gluten free is a totally ridiculous fad. If you have celiac disease, that's one thing. Truth is, not that many people in the general population actually have celiac disease. (Less than 1%)

Going dairy free is also not necessary unless you are lactose intolerant.

Self-diagnosis is also not a good idea. If you are suffering from weight loss, diarrhea, intestinal upset, itchy - blistering skin rashes, numbness and tingling of your feet and hands, joint pain, headaches and fatigue - then... see your doctor.
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Pick a meat & a vegetable to center your meals around, instead of focusing them on the carbohydrate. Bake some potatoes & sweet potatoes to munch on when your body wants some carbs. Don't bake GF products & expect them to taste like "normal" ones. Try new recipes & explore new tastes instead of trying (and failing) to replicate older ones.

There are certainly health improvements many people find from cutting out gluten &/or dairy, especially if you suffer from any GI distress.
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I eat gluten free because of an intolerance I have to it and I have found it very easy to do, with the exception of pizza. I do miss that. Gluten free bread is not that great but it tastes pretty darn good toasted. And yes, it is very expensive. So mostly, I opt out of eating bread and just having the meat without the bread, saves calories! I hardly eat pasta but gf pasta is pretty good when covered in a sauce :-)

As for dairy, I have coconut milk for smoothies and cereals. When I indulge in ice cream, I have good old fashion dairy, there is no replacement. I have had ice cream made with coconut milk and it is pretty good though. I don't care for almond milk.

What are your reasons for doing this?
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Going Gluten free is a totally ridiculous fad. If you have celiac disease, that's one thing. Truth is, not that many people in the general population actually have celiac disease. (Less than 1%)

That is so not true. You need to have mine and my daughter's digestive system to realize how true it is that you can have a gluten intolerance. We have both been tested for Celiac and came back negative (an actual biopsy), that's how bad our reaction to gluten was. Our physician told us to just try going GF for 1-3 months just to see what happens and it was amazing how much better we feel. When I sneak in a slice of real pizza, I can feel the difference and it is not fun.

• Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten, dairy, and egg free for nearly 2 years now. Not full blown coeliac, but sufficiently severe intolerances to make the change necessary. In my humble experience there is no bread like that containing gluten, so I rarely eat bread ... But I don't miss it. There's sufficient dairy free choices of spreads so that's no issue either. But, finding pre-prepared foods which are free from all 3 is very difficult. Despite all of that, my diet now is more healthy than ever before, weight loss has been good, and there are plenty of other upsides; increased clarity of thought, increased mobility and enthusiasm for life, and generally greater positivity.

It does take time to adjust, but as a life style change its a good reason to have to make the positive steps.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you don't have a medical reason, as others have stated, it's not necessary to go gluten or dairy free. Of you feel better without gluten and dairy, then go for it. Whole30.com has good resources. I eat both things, but not a ton. I do not buy "specialty" gluten free products, like the bread or pasta, because I generally don't eat those things, and I just eat the real stuff, if I decide I want it, since it doesn't bother me. Lots of lean meat, eggs/egg whites, veggies and fruit. Lara bars are decent for a sweet snack if you really need one, but are high I fat. I like both almond and coconut milk as well.
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Vegetables are a carbohydrate.

.... literally every food contains carbohydrates ;)

We eat vegetables because they contain important nutrients. And their carbohydrate value is lower than something like bread.
  • kwjager
    kwjager Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I too must abstain fromaef dairy or wheat due to allergies. I *can* eat gluten, so barley and rye are ok. I find that the dairy free part is far more difficult than the wheat free, as dairy provides such good sources of protein.

Removing the wheat is easier too than trying to find "gluten free" substitutions, which are never quite as satisfying. I eat a lot of whole grains--kasha, oats, rice, barley. Udi's has good gluten free bread options. And there are always rice cakes and rye crackers. Nut Thins are a pretty good product too.

I eat a lot of meat, eggs and PB2 for my lower-calorie protein sources. I miss yogurt!