C-Section mommy's?!

Options
Hello, my name is Bianca. I am a 22 year old FTM. A few months before pregnancy I started working out, eating healthy and losing weight! I was 215, which was the most I had ever weighed, and I went down to 187. During pregnancy, the very last day they weighed me I was 248! I had my son September 5th of this year and after 3 weeks I went down to 215. Instead of eating healthy like I should have, I ate nothing but junk! Which caused me to gain 9 pounds in less than 2 weeks and left me at 224 currently. My goal right now is 200 but after that I want to try and go down to 120 if possible.

Anyways, please feel free to add me, give me suggestions on what would help lose this weight! ALSO, quick question.. idk exactly what their called but quick way I can explain it is a 'belly band' ? can we use those? after a c section? o_O

Replies

• maybebaby34
    maybebaby34 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im a double c section mommy. Please give your body about 3-4 more months to heal before doing any exercise or lifting above walking. I didnot listen and now have reoccuring hernias. Iknow you despedesperately want the weight off, me too! But it isnt worth it. Start today with diet and light exercise. Start the new year with increased exercise. My starting weight june 26, was 224, today I am 195. My first 17# was with absolutely no exercise. Btw if you are breastfeeding I really hope you arent cutting your calories. Good luck Mommy!
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section in november 2011. in February of 2012 I had hit a weight of 228, then in march I had gotten to 234.. I was 190 before I got pregnant. I ended up starting my weight loss journey in march 2012.. I didn't really take off until april though (easter had set me back) but once I got going I lost weight rather quickly. I just counted calories and did zumba everyday (or took my son out in the stroller). In may 2013 (about 15 months on the journey) i got to 133.6... I was down 100 lbs! I was so happy! but then I went on vacation to my in-laws place and got out of control and then lost all control and got back to a weight of 146.. still not bad, considering where I was at. It took me from June-november to get back below 140.. then I maintained in the 136-140 range through january 2014 and started T25. by the time i was done with alpha & beta phase, I was down to 130.6 in March 2014! then I went to an outing weeking with friends and loosened up my eating and dieting plans a little (okay, a lot) and between march and may of this year I gained 20 lbs back. I'm still struggling to get them back off. I currently weigh 148 and have been bouncing between 147-151 for the last 3 months. I am not happy with it, but I'm happier than where I was. feel free to add me if you'd like, OP. I can help encourage you to workout, but I may not be the best example..
  • radario
    radario Posts: 59 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Belly bands: you mean those things you wear in pregnancy around your belly to bridge the gap between top and trousers? If so, yes you can wear them. In fact, supporting your belly like that is actually a good thing after a section, especially for those of us with larger bellies. My midwife recommended a pregnancy belt for me and I wore it for a few weeks and sometimes belly bands too after that. I had two c-sections 18 months apart. Please give yourself time before doing major exercise, especially ab work or lifting. I can only echo what maybebaby34 said. You'll be tempted to push yourself as you start to feel better each day. But if you push it too far you could set yourself back. You'll already be doing lots of lifting with a baby so find some more gentle exercise for just a little while. The calorie deficit is what really drives the fat loss anyway. Give yourself time; sleepless nights, calorie deficit and exercise is all stress for the body so if you overdo it now it might backfire. Find the real calorie bombs in your diet and work on reducing them, eat smaller portions and find some gentle exercise you enjoy and slowly build from there. Feel free to add me if you like, I've quite a few mommy friends and an open diary.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 c-sections. As the other posters said, don't overdo it. You don't want to cause complications in your recovery. My youngest is 16 months old, and i'm soon going to have to go back to fix a hernia, for the 2nd time, that developed at my incision site. I can't say for certain the cause, but I do know that I overdid it after my sections. With 2 other kids, I didn't give myself sufficient recovery time on my last, and i'm still suffering for it.

I started my weight loss journey in Feb of this year, at 224 lbs as well. I'm down 40 now, but need to lose at least another 45-50. It's a struggle to find time to work out when you have kids (and I work full time as well). Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • hwells0614
    hwells0614 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had my son via c-section August 19. The research I have done is that you need to add 500 calories if you exclusively breastfeeding or 300 calories if your baby is eating also. This way you have plenty of nutrients for you and baby and you don't end up starving yourself. Also you need to increase your water to 10-12 glasses a day. Hydrate!! ;)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 csections. First was in 2011 and second was May 2014. ;)

Take it easy. Start with just walking first. I did a little too much this time around and actually caused my scar to re-open a bit. I however didn't start a workout program until September 11.

I started working on my weight in Jan, 2012 (6 weeks after my c-section). I was 260lbs. :flushed: I put too many restrictions on myself and couldn't sustain the plan past about 6 or 7 months that year. During the holidays, I ended up gaining some of the weight back. I did however catch myself before I regained everything.
    In March 2013, I started using MFP. I was 218lbs at the time. By September 2013, I was down to 170lbs. Then I found out I was pregnant.
    Progress threads from last year:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1011152
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1100730

On May 28, 2014, I was 212lbs (41wks pregnant/2 days before c-section). By September 11, I was down to 181lbs by just diet alone. I added in exercise on September 11. Currently I weigh 177.6lbs and still have another 47.6lbs or so to lose.