PCOS, IR... What worked for you?

Options
I have had PCOS for many years. I was put on an anti depressant type medication and my weight jumped by almost 60lbs over a few years, which made my PCOS symptoms worse.
Ive been going through IVF but due to all of this insulin resistance, etc I keep miscarrying. I HAVE to lose the weight before I go again. I cannot cope with anymore heart break.

I tried every diet known to man. I am very good at keeping my food in check, I eat extremely well, very little processed foods, lots of water and veggies and lean meats, etc.
I came off the medication due to getting diagnosed with insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes and was put on Metformin. It took a few months and some hard work but I lost 8kgs relatively easily. (Before now i could literally not eat for a week and still put on weight, NOTHING helped)

I am not at a total stand still. NOTHING is helping. Its been about 3 months now of low carb. even induction Atkins didn't really shift any weight. This is what I've tried:
  • 1 month induction - lost 2kgs
  • Very heavily reduced calories - Lost 2 kgs
  • Healthy eating with the theory that if more than 3 people or a machine have touched it before me i wouldn't eat it - No weight loss

As soon as I eat over 1100 calories a day i gain a kg the next day and it doesn't come off. I know I'm not eating 3500 so Its not fat, water maybe? Why won't it drop off?
    Ive upped my calories for a month now, slowly increasing from 1200 to 15/1800 a day (I weight 90kgs and am 5'10 so 1800 is my TDEE) and Im gaining, rapidly, 3kgs so far.

What worked for you? Ive been having this daily battle for years now. I can't take much more.

Replies

• tonileighsteele
    Options
    Anyone?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm the wrong gender for personal experience, but I have seen and listened to many say that the insulin resistance has to be addressed by carbohydrate restriction.

At 90 kg you can afford to run a higher deficit, as your reserves can supply well over 1,000 calories a day providing the insulin is held low to allow the release of the fat from storage.

I would think 20 grams of carbohydrates, 3 meals with 30g of protein each and about 60 grams of fats per day would be worth trying for a month. You don't want to be doing "lean" or "light" or "low fat" on a carbohydrate restriction plan.

Another angle would be to talk to your doctor about an 8 week VLCD intervention, like the "Newcastle Diet" used to address T2 Diabetes.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    PS there are PCOS groups on here, in the temporary absence of the Search feature you'll have to find them manually - message me if you can't locate them.
  • Cyndi10612
    Cyndi10612 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I recently found out that I have PC OS. My husband and I have not been able to get pregnant so we finally went to the doctors and found out why. P COS is very confusing! I'm still not sure I completely understand it. So as a newbie to all of this I'm not sure I can answer that question but I'm definitely interested in your journey. As of right now my doctor is suggesting Clomid. And I am doing the Atkins diet. I am losing weight but I am curious to know how the weight-loss will affect my infertility. If it even does it all. I'm going to add you so I can follow along in your journey, if that's okay. Also, what is the difference between Clomid and Metformin? Or is that basically the same thing?
  • Cyndi10612
    Cyndi10612 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I recently found out that I have PC OS. My husband and I have not been able to get pregnant so we finally went to the doctors and found out why. P COS is very confusing! I'm still not sure I completely understand it. So as a newbie to all of this I'm not sure I can answer that question but I'm definitely interested in your journey. As of right now my doctor is suggesting Clomid. And I am doing the Atkins diet. I am losing weight but I am curious to know how the weight-loss will affect my infertility. If it even does it all. I'm going to add you so I can follow along in your journey, if that's okay. Also, what is the difference between Clomid and Metformin? Or is that basically the same thing?
  • nicoleagafitness
    nicoleagafitness Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Google vitex and maca. That's what I was put on for my high androgens a couple years ago. Now I'm on spironolactone.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Insulin resistance, PCOS, long and irregular cycles, gaining weight and inability to loose weight and so many other health issues are impacted by low thyroid function. It seems to me that many medics are reluctant to test for, let alone address this as a possible problem, those who do, often tell a patient that they are "within normal range" what ever that means to anyone because the numbers were drawn from lists containing those who had been seeking relief of their low thyroid symptoms. The web site, "Stop the Thyroid Madness", may be of help to you. The thyroid is involved in so many of the bodies functions, digestion, from the mouth to,,,,,,,,,, constipation,this is only one of the complicated systems at issues if the thyroid is not working properly it can cause so many more seemingly unrelated problems. The site also helps those in the USA find a doctor who will listen, will also refer to an endocrinologist.
  • TitikiOoh
    TitikiOoh Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
    Not from personal experience, but a coworker with PCOS and she is on a GI diet right now that seems to be working for her.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/549945

http://www.pcosdietsupport.com/diet-tips/start-your-pcos-diet-plan/

https://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/pcos

• liltadertat
    liltadertat Posts: 19 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Well I'm Insulin Resistant but have a high thyroid function (Graves') but I don't get the rapid weight loss like most people with hyperthyroidism so I work for it. I've never had PCOS, but my doctor recommended gradually lowering my carbs. I was eating up to 2-300g a day. But right now I'm settling around 40g a day net. I don't care about ketosis or anything like that so I don't pee on strips everyday, but I just log my foods (making sure the net carbs are right, if not then I create my own food with the net carbs correct). It's been 4 days and I'm 6 pounds down (most likely water weight). For the past 2 days I've been walking 3-10 miles (whatever my schedule allows for) and I get my carbs mainly from sweet potato and nuts. I didn't get the "Carb flu" or anything like that. I do drink powerade zero so maybe the sodium helped. There's a low carb group that I'm a part of, I also frequent the keto and low carb boards on reddit. I got the okay to up the exercise so I'll be doing 30 day shred in the evenings now :smiley:

Oh I'm 5'3.5 and started at 194. Currently at 188 but the official weigh in is Tuesday. After this month of 30 day shred and walking, I'll be starting insanity with my boyfriend so i can finish it by my birthday. I'm not 100% on insanity, I'm thinking of starting at a boxing gym instead. But when I get there, I'll see how I feel.

you're welcome to add me! Good luck!
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    What is your exercise regimen? From personal experience the only thing that worked for me was exercising. I started with just cardio but when I added strength training is when I started seeing significant results.
    Of course I was still watching what I eat and I am on Metformin. It didn't really matter what "diet" I was doing as long as I burn more than I consume, I didn't try low GI though so I cannot attest t that.
    I know your concern is that you are gaining but even when you start losing again, expect around 1 lb a week since you are within 35 lbs to normal weight on BMI chart.
    Question though, how is the Antidepressant related to PCOS?
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    PCOS has been the bane of existence for almost 10 years.
    I have to calorie restrict AND exercise very regularly to loose anything, which seems common among pcos ladies.

Also, when i get my period i retain up to 4 pounds of water, and generally have bad water retention anyway, maybe this is it? Try detoxing teas and such, they seem to work for me.

Talk to your doctor to try find the right medication.
    I am yet too find mine... sigh
  • tonileighsteele
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies!
    They say my thyroid is normal but who knows!? There is def something not right.
    As for exercise, I have a fitbit and walk minimum 25000 steps a day, light jog andweight training 3 x a week.

I might just have to deal with it and accept that ill be on a low carb, low calorie diet for ever!
    Just feeling so defeated
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Search the threads for "ways people are controlling PCOS" I've been on metformin for mine since 2009 when diagnosed. Stopped while pregnant/breast feeding another 10 months. I lose fairly easily. I avoid biscuits, rolls, white bread, and white rice. I eat wheat bread, Quinoa, try to limit my pasta, and still eat potatoes mainly sweet.