To Eat or Not to Eat?

Options
I am just about 2 weeks into MFP and am wondering whether you are "supposed" to eat your cals burned from exercise?? It doesn't make sense to me, but there are days where I sure cut into them. I don't know much about the whole science of it so forgive me if this seems like a silly question. What are the pros/cons? Should I or shouldn't I?

Replies

• fallon144
    fallon144 Posts: 40
    Options
    You should eat some of them back. I have a 1200 cal limit and I usually burn 200-400 calories every other day. I eat back about 50-75% of my exercise calories.

Good luck!
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Eat until MFP says that your Net Remaining Calories is 0. It's quite simple. You are allotted 'x' number of calories per day. If you burn calories from exercise, it adds calories to your alottment pool. So if you burn 'y' calories form exercise, you should eat 'x+y' calories that day.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a reminder on how mfp sets you up and the finer points of making it work for you.

1) When you joined and put in all your info mfp gave you a daily goal for calories. That goal already has the deficit needed to shed that weight built in right off the crack of the bat with no exercise built in, period end of story. For those whom do not know here is the breakdown on daily deficits based on mfp's goals. The daily deficit is what you need to shed the fat.
    1/2 lb loss a week = 250 cal deficit/day BUILT IN.
    1 lb/wk loss = 500/day
    1.5 lb/wk loss =750/day
    2 lb/wk loss - 1000/day.

2) Eating back the exercise calories:
    Yes you eat them back unless you want to exceed the goal set forth by mfp every day, IF YOU LOG ACCURATELY EVERY DAY! This is the part that sooooo many seem to have trouble wrapping their heads around. If you log every day and log accurately for food intake and what you burn during exercise via a hrm (get a good one) then it will work without fail. It has done so for me and nearly every single person whom has befriended me on mfp.So lets give an example here:
    Person X eats 1200 cals a day, works out and burns 300 cals a day leaving them with 900 net cals, refuses to eat back those exercise cals. They are dipping below starvation mode, give them 2 or 3 days like this and fat loss will stop dead in its tracks and the body will start to consume muscle for survival. So when mfp says eat those calories then that means eat them for a reason, you are not working out for nothing. Your working out to raise your BMR not to shed more fat, let the body shed the fat for you while you enjoy your meal and recover from your workout.

3) Having trouble eating what mfp says you should for caloric intake? You are not alone, many of us do or did not eat enough for fat loss, do not be alarmed. Eating right/more does work I am living proof of that and no I am not trying to sell you something or a fat loss program. I am trying to get you to understand that healthy fat loss is totally achievable without starving the body and it can be done in a way that makes you happy and full of energy. So society/tv/commercials and all those other crack heads/snake oil salesman have it wrong, starving yourself to lose fat is not the answer end of story.

4) Get used to the idea that there are going to be the naysayers out there saying that their "diet" is the best. What else is new, any diet that restricts good healthy foods like fruits, good fats, and healthy carbs is just that it is a diet, not a lifestyle change that will serve you better in the long run. We need to find what works for us and if you trust mfp, log accurately and religiously then it will work for you.

5) Why 1200/day as the minimum? Well this part is debated hotly around here, the reasoning behind that is that it is pretty hard to get the proper nutrition into your body on this low of an intake, so that is why they enforce it so strongly on the site. It is not an arbitrary number they pulled out of thin air, it has been proven several times over that 1200 or less a day is not advisable. Yes you can function on less but do you really want to be walking around starving the body and depleting muscle?

6) Starvation mode what is it? Well simply put starvation mode is not starving yourself from a hunger standpoint. The starvation mode they speak of is when the body is not being fed what it needs so in turn it will slow down the metabolic rate and effectively shut down fat loss. It happens daily on here and the number 1 reason for plateaus as ppl call them on here is that they are simply not eating enough. You can not expect to train like an olympian and eat like a mouse and expect fat loss, it is simple physics. The body need X amount of fuel to run, and X+more for effective fat loss, it is figuring out what amounts work for you to make fat loss a real thing.

So I hope this helps to clear up some misconceptions out there and if you have a question feel free to ask, I will do my best to answer it.
  • lllazarus
    lllazarus Posts: 11
    Options
    They say you should eat them back. The majority of the time I am forcing myself to eat and I don't feel right doing that. So if I do I do if I don't I don't. As long as I know I am eating and exercising.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    plan ahead and eat more at each meal if you are having trouble eating them so you are not left trying to eat a ton of cals post workout.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Eat them to the best of your ability, it can be hard if you exercise late in the day and have stuck pretty well to your numbers all day...for example I did a new video today and now have 400 calories I should eat and it's 9:30 pm where I live...I will eat something, but I don't think I can go that high!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I never do and have never slowed down in weight loss
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Try not to eat them back. Why would you try to eat back the deficit you created?
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm always surprised when people say they can't eat back their calories.
    Grab a handful of peanuts, that's nearly 200 calories right there. Having a salad, add 2 tablespoons of EVOO, that's 240. Avocado's, also high in calories and healthy.

Great advice given by Fuzzy.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Try not to eat them back. Why would you try to eat back the deficit you created?
    you obviously did not read what I said when you filled out mfp and then set your weight loss goal the deficit is BUILT IN, so working out creates a larger one even if you eat your daily goal I swear some ppl are super dense about this.
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i try to eat at least most of mine back
  • MsRobin_TheSequel
    MsRobin_TheSequel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    That was awesome! Thank you so much for your input. I never took on one of those diet plans, primarily because I instinctively didn't trust them. MFP seemed like the real deal and hit a cord with me so I decided to go with it. With being morbid obese/obese my whole life and just 2 weeks into MFP, I am definitely a novice! I appreciate everyone's patience as I feel my way around and come to terms with both proper lifestyle and how to obtain my weight loss goals. Thank you!
  • MsRobin_TheSequel
    MsRobin_TheSequel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting those links! Going to check them out. I appreciate the help in understanding the whole MFP/weight loss/maintenance concept. Thanks!