Lost another streak...incredibly frustrated!

Options

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago I was really struggling to stay motivated and keep working on improving my health. Some of the things that helped me to get back in the right mindset was to look at my journal that I keep my measurements and weight in each week. When I look back from where I started to where I am now served as a huge motivation that I am on the right track. I can see how many pounds I have lost, how my BMI has decreased, I keep tabs on the inches that I have lost from the beginning, and I can see where my fitness has improved. My BMI started at 43% and it is at 39.2%, that may not be impressive to some people but it is a sign that I am making progress. I use my Polar HRM products to keep track of my VO2 information and when I first started exercising it was in the "poor" category. I have slowly climbed from "poor" to "fair" and I am barely in the "good" category, but I am stronger and healthier everyday. I prefer to use non scale information such as these to provide me with motivation, instead of the number on the scale because that thing can be flat out evil! Keep up the hard work and add me as a friend if you would like.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    the streak counter really has no bearing on your weight loss and fitness goals. if you know you put in the work and logged everything and was on track then don't worry about it. you can't take this stuff too seriously or you'll wind up in therapy.
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    the streak counter really has no bearing on your weight loss and fitness goals. if you know you put in the work and logged everything and was on track then don't worry about it. you can't take this stuff too seriously or you'll wind up in therapy.

Yup. Times two.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options

Yup. Times two.

I disagree, if your whole world is chaos and the only stable, constant thing is simply logging into MFP and getting another day onto your streak and that gets taken away, then you could end up in therapy. Sometimes the smaller things in life keep you sane.

Edit: call it a straw, and it could be the one that broke the camels back if you miss it.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options

Yup. Times two.

I disagree, if your whole world is chaos and the only stable, constant thing is simply logging into MFP and getting another day onto your streak and that gets taken away, then you could end up in therapy. Sometimes the smaller things in life keep you sane.

Edit: call it a straw, and it could be the one that broke the camels back if you miss it.

if your logging streak is the only thing keeping you sane, guess what? you're not sane.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I was disappointed to lose my streak of 100+ days because I was away for the weekend and didn't have cell reception. But I didn't reset, and I found that it's been quite motivating to try to get back to 100 again!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Yup. Times two.

Clicking on a link does not equal doing the work required to lose or maintain weight. If a meaningless number on a website dictates your world view or self worth, there are issues.
  • christopherbrownlee
    Options
    that ...is...awesome!! thanks so much - mine just reset on its own and im only on 34 days but it means alot to me too , could only imagine that guys frustrations when he lost it at 100. This was so helpful - thanks heaps - motivation restored!!
  • mlfrailing
    Options
    I know how you feel. My streak was over 400 days and I was out of town and apparently the logging on the app didn't count. Back to 1 day in a row. That happened quite a while ago, but I don't even pay attention to it anymore.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

Yup. Times two.

I'm sorry to disagree with you here, but nobody should hold onto something artificial that desperately. Life always happens in one way or the other (power shortages, illnesses, deaths, etc.) and I strongly advise someone frail to seek other kinds of things to find strength in. Preferably it should be something intrinsic, not depending on anything on the outside of one's person.

Having one's streak break shouldn't be a major catastrophy ever. You said "only stable, constant thing" and I would reply to that: "Look at yourself in action! You log faithfully and honestly! That's a huge change from what it used to be. Don't demand perfection, though, or you already failed; perfection doesn't exist, although there are quite a few perfectionists out there."

This is a typical case where perfectionism has the potential to do nothing but harm, if you let it be your master, rather than you being the one calling the shots.
  • Thaifarang
    Options
    New on here today so sorry for a daft question, maybe. But can you log on at any time during the day or is it after you hit that you have completed the days intake etc. that counts?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    New on here today so sorry for a daft question, maybe. But can you log on at any time during the day or is it after you hit that you have completed the days intake etc. that counts?
    It's not a daft question at all. You need to log in once before midnight in your own time zone. What you log or don't log is your own business and won't affect the ticker at all.
  • Thaifarang
    Options
    Thanks for that. Seems like a good reason to keep you coming on here. :)
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options

Yup. Times two.

I'm sorry to disagree with you here, but nobody should hold onto something artificial that desperately. Life always happens in one way or the other (power shortages, illnesses, deaths, etc.) and I strongly advise someone frail to seek other kinds of things to find strength in. Preferably it should be something intrinsic, not depending on anything on the outside of one's person.

Having one's streak break shouldn't be a major catastrophy ever. You said "only stable, constant thing" and I would reply to that: "Look at yourself in action! You log faithfully and honestly! That's a huge change from what it used to be. Don't demand perfection, though, or you already failed; perfection doesn't exist, although there are quite a few perfectionists out there."

This is a typical case where perfectionism has the potential to do nothing but harm, if you let it be your master, rather than you being the one calling the shots.

... it was just a suggestion from someone else's view. I'm on day 6, so I haven't experienced a 100 day streak, but clearly with so many people glad to see it can be gained back the original OP isn't the only person feeling this way.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I'd be sad if I lost my steak too.

edit: ugh, year old post
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Woah...finally reset mine from my cruise last November...was kinda bothering me it was showing only half the time I've been here...kinda hard to log in from the middle of the ocean!
  • tashabarker1
    tashabarker1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bluwaves1 wrote: »
    Well if you missed logging in you missed. If you 'cheat ' and reset your counter how does that make you feel good? :noway:

There's a difference between logging in and logging. If you've completed your diary (but a day/week or so late) how is that cheating? You've still done the work, you're still on track.
    The only person who knows if resetting your counter is cheating is you. If you've logged and done the work you deserve your counter to say so!
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

Yup. Times two.

I really like what you wrote here. Trying too hard to be perfect has hurt my weight loss efforts in the past. I've actually thought about intentionally not logging in for a day so I don't get too wrapped up in my streak.

• radario
    radario Posts: 59 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Same thing happened to me when I was away for the day at a wedding. I logged every damn bite and sip but it was after midnight. Until then I didn't even know I cared about my streak! I decided right there not to care anymore. The streak isn't what gets you where you want to be. It's consistently eating less and moving more, in a way that is sustainable for you that does that. If that means that from time to time you log in late so be it. Focusing on the streak simply for the sake of a streak is precious energy wasted.
  • juancarloszegarraayllon
    Options
    Thank you buddies! I almost lost my 420 streak! It was not my fault just my cell phone battery died before making my entry

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/login_counter_reset_request this is the link that worked for me