MFP and Diabetes: Counting Carbs??

Options
Is there anyone here who is also counting carbs due to diabetes? I have just been diagnosed--very early stages and low numbers--so I am trying to lose the weight and manage via diet. I would love to hear from others about how they manage and achieve successful habits. I never realized just how many carbs I was taking in until I began to track them.

Replies

• alecno
    alecno Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am a type 1, fully insulin-dependant diabetic. I track carbs for every meal via MFP to dose out my insulin boluses.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic but I am doing carb cycling, so doing 5 low carb days a week. By low carb i mean it's usually under 70g a day, sometimes a bit higher. Feel free to look at my diary for ideas.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group This might be a group you're interested in.... probably will answer a lot of questions. :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I am not diabetic but many family members are including my ex husband.

This is the plan -- depending on the instruction of the doctor:

Limit this: bread, pasta, pizza, rice, corn, potatoes.
    Limit this: fruit

Eat this: beef, pork, chicken, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts,
    Eat lots of this: broccoli, swiss chard, kale, spinach, romaine, cabbage, mushrooms, asparagus, avocados, okra, cauliflower, bell peppers, snow peas, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, winter squash, brussels sprouts
  • Baconist
    Baconist Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You should ask your doctor or your diabetic trainer/counselor. Mine is 40% and *suppose* to stay away from starches; pasta and potatoes especially...I am not always successful.

Until I sat in on the classes my doctor offers, I thought Carbs = potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, cake, cookies...and they are, but they are, or most of them are, starches as well which are terribly not good for diabetics. There are the so called "good carbs" fruits, veggies, legumes, beans. Then the "please limit these in your diet carbs"...Milk and cheese mostly, but some others as well.

My doctor also told me to beware "whole wheat" or "whole grain" pasta and breads as they are still a starchy carb.

Best to you.
  • Baconist
    Baconist Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I am not diabetic but many family members are including my ex husband.

This is the plan -- depending on the instruction of the doctor:

Limit this: bread, pasta, pizza, rice, corn, potatoes.
    Limit this: fruit

Eat this: beef, pork, chicken, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts,
    Eat lots of this: broccoli, swiss chard, kale, spinach, romaine, cabbage, mushrooms, asparagus, avocados, okra, cauliflower, bell peppers, snow peas, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, winter squash, brussels sprouts

Love this... <3
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm not diabetic but I am insulin resistant and hypoglycemic so I count carbs.

I follow a diet similar to diabetics:

-30-45 grams of carbs per meal (I usually only eat 25-30 grams depending on what I'm having)
    -15-30 grams of carbs per snack
    -No simple carbs (cookies, cake, muffins, juice, soda, etc.)
    -Complex carbs only (veggies, brown rice, quinoa, legumes)
    -Protein with every meal and snack
    -Lots of healthy fats (i.e. olive oil, avocado, nuts, and seeds)
    -Fruit should be eaten in moderation (berries are the best because they are low on the glycemic index)

I don't eat dairy except a small amount of hard cheese occasionally. I am about 80-85% gluten free as well.
  • Lippylikes
    Options
    I am insulin resistant and high risk of diabetes so also count carbs. I am as close as I can get to sugar free, wheat free, ad 80% gluten free. The only carbs I eat are from vegetables, I also occasionally treat myself so some cheese as a treat. I rarely drink Alcohol. Since adopting this eating plan, I have lost 30lbs and my blood sugar is stabilising x