how do u make baked beans?

Options
shaddowstorm
shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
with a few ingredients would like a easy recipe or else will just resort to buying salt reduced canned baked beans.

thanks

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I make them in a bean pot, similar to this recipe:

newenglandrecipes.org/html/baked-beans.html

I prefer to use kidney beans. I make a half recipe (1 pound of dried beans). They freeze very well.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    StraubreyR wrote: »
    I make them in a bean pot, similar to this recipe:

newenglandrecipes.org/html/baked-beans.html

I prefer to use kidney beans. I make a half recipe (1 pound of dried beans). They freeze very well.

I make min in a similar way to the method described above as well... except I do them in a crock pot and use navy beans and I use yellow mustard in place of dry mustard. My husband is Muslim so I don't use the pork but a few slabs of turkey bacon does add a bit of that flavor though admittedly it's NOT the same!

The most important thing is just to be PATIENT. Baked beans take a LONG time.
  • Adieux
    Adieux Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I make mine in the slow cooker using tinned beans and refrigerate or freeze.

2 cans mixed beans
    2 cans red kidney beans
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 capsicum (red bell pepper), diced
    1 tub tomato paste
    1/2 onion, diced
    cumin, turmeric, paprika, garlic powder
    cracked pepper

Basically chuck all of the above in the slow cooker on high for 2.5 to 3 hours and you're done. Use whatever spices you want in whatever quantities you want - I don't measure mine and just use whatever I've got in the cupboard.

I've made it without canned tomatoes as well and just added some water, turned out alright.

If I'm feeling like a bit more spice and tang I add sweet chilli sauce when I'm serving it.