Real Lemons vs Bottled Lemon Juice

Options

Replies

• Cranny
    Cranny Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question ! I've been buying real lemons and cutting them up each morning, but this weekend at the store, I bought the bottled juice, thinking it would be so much more convenient since I drink my lemon water at work - just keep the bottle at my desk.

Needless to say - I do taste a difference, and will be going to the store to get real lemons tomorrow. I'll save the juice to cooking.
  • mavanscoy
    mavanscoy Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you that just made me go to fresh lemons..
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Since it just adds flavor, who cares?

Lemon juice doesn't 'eat fat" or any other nonsense.

I was waiting to see who was going to call out this nonsense as such.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    16 Health Benefits Of Drinking Warm Lemon Water

[just snipping some of it]
    Having warm lemon juice early in the morning helps flush out toxins
    It helps cure the common cold
    It strengthens the liver by providing energy to the liver enzymes when they are too dilute
    It helps balance the calcium and oxygen levels in the liver In case of a heart burn, taking a glass of concentrated lemon juice can give relief
    Source: http://www.undergroundhealth.com...

I would LOVE to see sourcing on these bits. Flushes out toxin? 'cures' the common cold? Utter bull****.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options
    I go through a 2lb bag of lemons every 2 weeks or so. I drink hot lemon in the morning a lot of the time (half a lemon juiced into 16oz hot water), one ir two servings. I like it. I also use fresh lemon juice in dressings, marinades, over grilled or pan seared fish, on roasted veggies like broccoli and brussel sprouts. Once I went to fresh, I can't stand the bottled.
  • happy2bfree
    Options
    I agree with the others that real lemons must be better for you, and taste better. However, isn't this mainly about making the water more alkaline and not so much about nutritious (although that's a big plus). So with that in mind.... isn't the bottled lemon juice able to do the same, and make the water more alkaline? I drink mine in hot purified water. And I noticed in my glass there were pieces of lemon in my water, and I used the squeeze kind this morning. Sorry for any repeated questions, but I didn't read what I was looking for. Mainly people were talking about the nutrient factor and not about the benefits of it causing your body pH to be more alkaline and detox. I think that has more to do with the acidity.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    16 Health Benefits Of Drinking Warm Lemon Water

Lemon is an excellent and rich source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that protects the body against immune system deficiencies
    Lemons contain pectin fiber which is very beneficial for colon health and also serves as a powerful antibacterial
    It balances maintain the pH levels in the body
    Having warm lemon juice early in the morning helps flush out toxins
    It aids digestion and encourages the production of bile
    It is also a great source citric acid, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium
    It helps prevent the growth and multiplication of pathogenic bacteria that cause infections and diseases
    It helps reducing pain and inflammation in joints and knees as it dissolves uric acid
    It helps cure the common cold
    The potassium content in lemon helps nourish brain and nerve cells
    It strengthens the liver by providing energy to the liver enzymes when they are too dilute
    It helps balance the calcium and oxygen levels in the liver In case of a heart burn, taking a glass of concentrated lemon juice can give relief
    It is of immense benefit to the skin and it prevents the formation of wrinkles and acne
    It helps maintain the health of the eyes and helps fight against eye problems
    Aids in the production of digestive juices
    Lemon juice helps replenish body salts especially after a strenuous workout session

Packed with all the goodness, make it a point to begin your day with a glass of warm lemon juice. Its cleansing and healing effects will have positive effects on your health in the long run. However it is very important to note that lemon juice when comes directly in contact with the teeth, can ruin the enamel on the teeth. Hence, it is advised to consume it diluted and also rinse your mouth thoroughly after drinking lemon juice.

What Are Your Favorite Ways To Use Lemons?

Source: http://www.undergroundhealth.com...

I just spit out my coffee from laughing. Im sorry what?
  • happy2bfree
    Options
    Thanks so much! Your response really helped to clarify my question? Anyone else? Again... the difference and whether the squeeze kind will make the water pH just as alkaline. I'll continue to do some research. :ohwell:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The oft-stated idea that adding lemon makes water or the body more alkaline is TOTALLY and COMPLETELY bogus. It is counter to basic science.
    ... However, isn't this mainly about making the water more alkaline ... isn't the bottled lemon juice able to do the same, and make the water more alkaline? ... benefits of it causing your body pH to be more alkaline and detox. I think that has more to do with the acidity.

Lemon juice is acidic. It therefore makes water, which in its pure form has a neutral pH, more acidic, not more alkaline.

To make water more alkaline you need to add something to it which is alkaline, baking soda, for example.

Here's a clear article explaining the matter: http://thechronicleflask.wordpress.com/2013/08/28/amazing-alkaline-lemons/
  • happy2bfree
    Options
    Thank you. I also found this....

"Because foods are not known to alter the pH of your blood or body, lemons won't acidify you either. Drinking lemon juice with water may increase the acid level of your urine, however, which is a sign that your kidneys are doing their job -- ridding you of excess acid."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/498141-can-adding-lemon-juice-water-make-water-alkaline/

And this is the reason why lemons are said to cause a more alkaline pH in your body even though they are acidic....

"Fresh lemons: If you prefer not to use baking soda, a fresh lemon added to your drinking water will also, eventually, make your purified drinking water more alkaline. Though it seems counter-intuitive to think that adding an acidic lemon to your purified drinking water could ultimately produce an alkaline result, it's important to remember that fresh lemons are also anionic. Once you drink the acidic lemon water, it will become alkaline as your body reacts with the lemons' anions during the digestive process. Use fresh lemons that haven't been exposed to air for more than 30 minutes -- not lemon juice purchased at the store or lemons that have been cut up and sitting out in the open at a restaurant all day."

http://life.gaiam.com/article/how-increase-alkalinity-your-water
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    ... Once you drink the acidic lemon water, it will become alkaline as your body reacts with the lemons' anions during the digestive process. ...

Though oft-stated, nope. From the same source you cited http://www.livestrong.com/article/498141-can-adding-lemon-juice-water-make-water-alkaline/: "The popular belief that lemons become alkaline during digestion isn't upheld by science. Under no circumstances can an acidic food alkalize your blood."
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I just get a lemon, nuke it 20 seconds then roll it a few seconds.. then cut it and squeeze it into 32 oz H2O per lemon...I'm on the road a lot... it's easier to carry around uncut lemons than keeping a bottle of juice cold
  • jtr357
    jtr357 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    :disagree: I don't like the taste of that bottled stuff... isn't it like fake lemon juice anyways? I always use real limes.
  • ECfromSJ
    ECfromSJ Posts: 31 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I can't really say how this compares nutritionally, but it sure is convenient and tastes good--we use packets of True Lemon crystallized lemon. You can add it to water or tea, use it in recipes calling for lemon juice if you add a little water, even carry the packets in your purse. They also have packets of crystallized orange and lime. If you order direct, they usually give you a coupon code to get some free items. The also sell instant lemonade; don't get that by mistake. truecitrus.com

Oh, by the way, each packet has 25% of a day's Vitamin C, although it looks like it has been added back in (ascorbic acid listed as an ingredient).

I have trouble using fresh lemons up fast enough, and I worry about how long bottled juice has been in the fridge. And using the packets you don't have to worry about dumping too much from a bottle by mistake. So it's working out well for us.
  • Trulie52
    Trulie52 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    lemon and water Increases alkalinity. An acidic body is essentially a magnet for disease, and cancer cells thrive in an acidic environment. Lemon juice aids in making the body more alkaline, just like leafy green veggies—the opposite of acidic. (Although lemon contains citric acid, it does not create acidity in the body.) Lemon enhances your digestive secretions so that acidic wastes are eliminated more effectively. Food as medicine! from
    [link removed by mod]
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Trulie52 wrote: »
    lemon and water Increases alkalinity. An acidic body is essentially a magnet for disease, and cancer cells thrive in an acidic environment. Lemon juice aids in making the body more alkaline, just like leafy green veggies—the opposite of acidic. (Although lemon contains citric acid, it does not create acidity in the body.) Lemon enhances your digestive secretions so that acidic wastes are eliminated more effectively. Food as medicine! from

2 year old post and this is absolute tosh
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Isn't it pasteurized as well?? Which is never good for any type of juice!