Hiking NSV

Options
Myrmilt
Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
My first post, and yes, I am counting today as a grand success.

I hiked 10.5 miles, 2.5k elevation gain, and packed 45lb girl child for about 6 of those miles.

I have gained so much of my strength back in the last 6 weeks. Granted my legs are a little achy, but it's nothing compared to what I just did.

Go me.

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I love hiking.
  • Myrmilt
    Options

Thank you dmpizza.
    Hiking is one of my favorite activities. It makes every day issues seem so small. I am so glad that my efforts were so rewarded today.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I enjoy hiking too, but unfortunately it has rained here almost every day this week and I haven't been able to hit the trails. Great job on the NSV!
  • Myrmilt
    Options
    It snowed at the higher elevation and was awesome, and sprinkled a little at the lower. I actually love to hike in rain and snow so long as there is no lightning and it isn't a deluge.

Unfortunately we had to turn back before the lake we were trying to reach. The terrain was too dangerous packing a child. She wiggles a lot and can throw the balance of the pack. Snow and mud are a bad mix packing her.
  • debubbie
    Options
    It has been a deluge here, possible tornadoes in some areas.

A little wiggly one would definitely make it more difficult to hike technical terrain. Maybe you will get a chance to go again without the little one and you will be able to reach the lake.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    well done. keep it going :-)
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    wonderful! :smiley:
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Awesome NSV!! I've never hiked before, but it looks quite tough. Go you!!!
  • Myrmilt
    Options
    debubbie wrote: »

A little wiggly one would definitely make it more difficult to hike technical terrain. Maybe you will get a chance to go again without the little one and you will be able to reach the lake.

Tornadoes are bad news.

I have made the lake before, it's pretty enough and hits above tree line, but I had forgotten the last bit.

Trying to retrain for the elevations above 11.5, for doing some 14k's next summer.
  • Myrmilt
    Options
    Awesome NSV!! I've never hiked before, but it looks quite tough. Go you!!!

Thank you, it's not too bad once you get into it and remember safety.
  • debubbie
    Options
    Myrmilt wrote: »
    debubbie wrote: »

Tornadoes are bad news.

I have made the lake before, it's pretty enough and hits above tree line, but I had forgotten the last bit.

Trying to retrain for the elevations above 11.5, for doing some 14k's next summer.

I am sure that you will make your goal of completing some 14k's next summer. I love the beauty of the terrain and the final destination from a good hike.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Myrmilt wrote:
    I hiked 10.5 miles, 2.5k elevation gain, and packed 45lb girl child for about 6 of those miles.
    Yes, that is quite a success!! Yay you!! :sweat_smile::sunglasses:

A couple weeks ago I decided I'd walk to & from my doctor's appointment, which is about 6.5 miles one way. I think I ended up walking about 4.5 to get there (took a campus shuttle part of the way), then the county bus to get home (which took almost as long!). I was a little too ambitious. If I could get my bicycle into running condition, I think I could do that.
  • RisingFromAshes
    RisingFromAshes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What a fabulous accomplishment! huge Congrats!!!
  • babol23
    babol23 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congrats nice accomplishment, I just got back into hiking last spring, great way to stay in shape. A great way to clear your head of a weeks worth of stress.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Great NSV and wow - carrying the 45 pound child for 6 miles - INCREDIBLE!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!