Anybody want to be bicycle buddies?

Options
Looking for someone to keep up with and chat about fitness. Add me if this sounds like you!

About me: I'm a 26 year old guy from New Jersey who is half-way to accomplishing his fitness goal weight of 200 lbs. (I'm 6'3" and have about 24 lbs. to go). Anything else, just ask. I look forward to getting to know you.

-John

Replies

• worldtraveller321
    worldtraveller321 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi do you ride bike?
  • mossbacher
    Options
    Yes, I ride at least 25 miles a week on open roads with an elevation gain/loss of 1,000 feet per 20 mile ride, which is relatively flat. I live on the coast.
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    evening from UK i'm a very keen cyclist did a 26 mile ride today my not get out much do to weather here but in the summer do many more. in september cycled 103 mile from a part of italy to france. fantastic feeling.
    George
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I have been riding about 300 miles per month, but I'm sure I won't be able to keep that up with the weather getting cold/rainy. Have been at this since January, have 17 pounds left to lose. Sending you a request!
  • mossbacher
    mossbacher Posts: 7
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hello George7527 and Straubrey. Nice to meet you. I can imagine France and Italy to be astonishing for a cyclist. I'm jealous!

Got it, Straubrey. Yes, I'm preparing for the winter as well. Planning to get the appropriate type of clothing to stay warm but still be comfortable on the bike. Marshalls has a lot of stuff in that category for reasonable prices. I've never done a winter before, aside from the occasional grocery store visit. Over the summer, I've probably done about 800 miles or so but that is just a guess. 100 in a week has been my max but that is uncommon.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I just got myself some insulated bike tights. Am hoping to keep riding into December if the weather cooperates. If it doesn't I have a trainer set up in the basement. It's boring but better than nothing!
  • mossbacher
    Options
    Exactly. I don't have any room for an indoor bike or workout area_ other than my dumbbells. I need to gear up if I want to keep my momentum going. Maybe I'll turn to the internet in search of some good discount wear.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I love riding my bike outside. I cycle between 7 and 12 miles at a time. I used to spin (which is a great cardio workout), but I no longer belong to a gym with classes. I really need a new bike, but I am holding out until spring, because I figure I won't ride past the end of November. I also run (1.5 to 3.5 miles at a time - mostly 1.5), lift weights, and when I can, catch a zumba or kickboxing class with a friend. I try to get outside to exercise and I love to hike in the fall. The elliptical in the winter saves me from being a slug. :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I ride 50-150 miles a week* depending on the season and how much running, rowing, and hiking I've been doing. Request sent!

* Occasionally more, when I'm on a bike tour or when I have a big event like D2R2 or a century.
  • mossbacher
    Options
    Have you ever tried biking with others in a group? I was just contemplating forming some sort of small weekly get together with people in my area, through Craigslist I suppose. I still haven't figured out how I'm going to survive the winter and keep my cardio up. I've been looking into yoga so that might be an answer for me- someone who is limited in space. This community-driven web site is something I'm just getting familiar with and I'm glad to see people responding to my post. I think having the ability to discuss these things is crucial to staying focused. Although, I do thoroughly enjoy the solitude that accompanies this personalized journey to a better life. :smile:
  • Trignon
    Trignon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The best thing for riding motivation has been social websites like strava.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I've done some group rides with my local cycling club. Most cycling clubs have three groups: A, B, and C. Usually the A group averages over 20 mph on rides, the B group around 17-20 mph, and the C group 14-17 mph. In Massachusetts, the season begins in May and ends in September, and rides get faster as the season goes on. Group rides are good ways to learn bike handling skills, meet new people, and stay motivated. But for most beginners, even a C ride is too fast.

There are clubs that have social rides. And you can use meetup.com to look for, or create, groups. (If you create one, stress that it is not an organized ride, just a suggestion for people to get together and ride, without a leader. If you are the leader of an organized ride, you might be legally liable for any injuries. My cycling club has liability insurance for its group rides.)

I see that you're not too far from Fort Dix. You might find a cycling club there.

Generally I prefer riding alone, but a group ride isn't bad from time to time. You can also look for organized events near you.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I ride about 600 per month in the warmer months. Feel free to add me if you'd like.