How to make plain coffee taste better?

I'm a college student, and lately I've been having longer days on campus, which can get pretty tiring, meaning that I always end up having to stop at Starbucks. I don't like a lot of the lower calorie options (such as regular coffee), so I usually end up getting something higher in calories like a frappuccino or a white mocha.

Anyone who has a sweet tooth like me know of any low calorie coffee drinks to make from home? Preferably iced?

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    I have a Keurig machine, so I can buy K-cups in flavored varieties (IDK, 5 calories a pod or something--Mmm caramel hazelnut, or mocha swirl). Two tablespoons (30ml) of full fat half and half is only 40 calories, plus a dash of no calorie sweetener of choice (Stevia or Splenda are my favorites). Bam--a big mug of delicious for around 50 calories. I don't drink cold coffee, but I'm sure this would be equally delicious on ice.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited October 2014
    Couple teaspoons of sugar.

Oh, and creamer (or milk).
  • Sphyk1
    Sphyk1 Posts: 85 Member
    I like a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    I add a packet of Swiss Miss (no sugar added) to my coffee. We call it a ghetto mocha at our house. :smile:

81dkPoQ%2B5oL._SX425SX425_SY546_CR,0,0,425,546_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_SX425_SY546_CR,0,0,425,546_SH20_.jpg
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    I add a packet of Swiss Miss (no sugar added) to my coffee. We call it a ghetto mocha at our house. :smile:

81dkPoQ%2B5oL._SX425SX425_SY546_CR,0,0,425,546_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_SX425_SY546_CR,0,0,425,546_SH20_.jpg

Oh, yes I second this! That is good, too! I did that a lot before the Keurig.

• Maybe diet hot coco? I forget the brand....
    Yea that is so good! Only like 30ish cals
    Mm and plain black coffee that has that pumkin spice flavor in it?
    Oh my goooooooodddddd so good
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Homemade Skinny Caramel Macchiatto (sp?)
    1 cup skim milk (90 calories)
    2 oz espresso (get the instant kind if you don't have an espresso machine)
    1 oz sugar vanilla syrup (0 calories)
    2 tsps caramel sauce (40 cals)
    Ice
    Add Ice to your cup pour cold milk over. Add vanilla syrup. Add cold espresso. Drizzle caramel sauce over the top and drink. Total cals= 130 cals
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    paj315 wrote: »
    Homemade Skinny Caramel Macchiatto (sp?)
    1 cup skim milk (90 calories)
    2 oz espresso (get the instant kind if you don't have an espresso machine)
    1 oz sugar vanilla syrup (0 calories)
    2 tsps caramel sauce (40 cals)
    Ice
    Add Ice to your cup pour cold milk over. Add vanilla syrup. Add cold espresso. Drizzle caramel sauce over the top and drink. Total cals= 130 cals

This sounds amazing! Trying it!

• DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Not really low-cal but very tasty and full of protein:

6 oz milk (I use 2% but whatever fits for you)
    Double espresso or strong coffee
    One scoop ON 100% whey French Vanilla protein powder (110 cal, 24g protein)
    Shake and pour over ice

Seriously as good as an iced vanilla latte from Starbucks.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Maybe try a sugar free latte with an extra shot? I think a tall skim latte with sugar free caramel or hazelnut is 130 calories. And it has protein!
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Should get decent ground filtered coffee, much nicer taste than instant.
  • ropelews
    ropelews Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2014
    Try 1/2 liquid protein shake in a 12-16oz cup of coffee. Cheap enough to try a few flavors and in my opinion, easier to deal with when out than powdered protein.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited October 2014
    You could try some better coffee and have it black. After getting really good coffee, it tasted great just black. There should be a good local roaster in a college town. Some Whole Foods roast their own an have a large variety.

This article at Serious Eats has 4 ways to make the perfect iced coffee

Starbucks is not the only game in town. Personal preference - I do not like any of the Starbucks coffees.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member

Oh, yes I second this! That is good, too! I did that a lot before the Keurig.

Im going to try this instead of creamer this week. It sounds good and low cal.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Buy better coffee. It won't need as much dressing up. If you can't have a coffee pot, French presses make awesome coffee. If you still want something added (which I prefer too) try normal cream or half and half, sugar, or even spices like cinnamon.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited October 2014
    Small Ovaltine Mocha: 4 oz. of medium espresso + 1 scoop of Rich Chocolate Ovaltine + dollop of fat-free Reddi-wip = 45 calories & vitamins :smiley:

Medium Iced Latte: 4 oz. strong espresso + 4-6 oz. Hood Simply Smart Fat Free Milk + 2-3 pumps Sugar-Free Torani Syrup (e.g., Sugar-Free Brown Sugar Cinnamon) + Enough Ice to Fill your Medium-Sized Cup = 45-65 calories, depending on milk ratio (experiment and adjust to meet your flavor preferences)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,810 Member
    You like sugar and things that don't actually taste like coffee.....try hot chocolate.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    ukaryote wrote: »
    You could try some better coffee and have it black. After getting really good coffee, it tasted great just black. There should be a good local roaster in a college town. Some Whole Foods roast their own an have a large variety.

This article at Serious Eats has 4 ways to make the perfect iced coffee

Starbucks is not the only game in town. Personal preference - I do not like any of the Starbucks coffees.

This.

Even when I was in college I though sweetening coffee was odd, but back then I mixed the not so great dining hall coffee with skim milk. I still think milk is a reasonable addition for the calories, after all it adds some protein, although I now prefer it black.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    try a cold brew....takes hours to make but can be stored in the fridge and does not have the bitterness of hot brewed coffee. Or you can just drink it until you acquire a taste for it.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I buy sugarfree syrups (Da Vinci to be exact) that I use to make iced coffees. 5 pumps, 8oz coffee, 6 ice cubes, 8oz unsweetened almond milk. Voila, 16 oz delicious 30-40 cal coffee :D