Too much protein?

Options
what happens if you go over in protein?
I've had two protein shakes today and I wanted to have chicken for dinner....should I hold off on the chicken and find something else?

Replies

• adkmountainguy
    adkmountainguy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Nothing happens. Feel free to load up on protein, it's the best thing you can go over on.
  • larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    no eat your chicken honey! i have about 150+grams a day...if you are doing any kind of weight treining you should really take in about 75% of your body weight....eat it! enjoy
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    You should be eating a gram of protien for every pound you weigh. MFP is very low for protien
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Dont forget that you will get more nutrients is you have exercise calories to log.. I always forget about that!!
  • Corivk
    Corivk Posts: 5
    Options
    I go over on protein quite often and don't worry about that.......I am more cautious about going over on fat and carbs!
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I Agree -- MFP is a bit low on protein.
    Also, I would make your pre-bed snack something like cottage cheese as it has a slow digestion rate (8hrs) due to casein (protein) --- unlike whey which is quickly digested.

Make sure you are fed for your longest fast of the day -- sleep!
  • mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    I hav been wondering the same thing. Thanks for clearing it up guys
  • Juliey10013
    Options
    I'm glad you asked that, I go over daily because I'm doing a soy based diet and I'm a vegetarian to boot. Good feedback all, thanks for asking the question.
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I too have been wondering this! Glad I'm not the only one. :happy:
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1200 calories a day, there is no way you could eat enough protein to the point you would harm your kidneys. 10 grams of protein has 40 calories. So, if ALL of your calories were from protein, that would be 300grams a day. You can safely eat up to about 1g per pound of body weight without causing kidney damage. That is even difficult to acheive. I have a hard time getting to 150g of protein a day with out protein shakes and bars.
  • kristie778
    Options
    You really just need 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight (kilograms = pounds divided by 2.2). So if you weight 150 then 150/2.2 = 68 kg x 0.8 g = 55 grams of protein needed per day. This is how it is probably calculated by MFP, which is why everyone seems to think this is "low" but it is adequate. It just seems low because most people eat WAY more than they actually need. But a little extra won't hurt you, unless you have kidney issues.
  • nirsky
    nirsky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Per LL cool J's Platinum 360 Diet and Life style you need 1gr protein per 1lb of body weight.
    He recommend to spread it across the day, so 35gr protein X 5 time a day.
    Nirsky
  • CenlaCoach
    Options
    I agree with the 1 gram to 1 pound of body weight if your workout. I recently read an article on this and will need to see if I can find it to post a link but they recommended between .75 to 1 gram per pound if your working out. They also stated that your body can usually only use 40 grams at each meal to help rebuild muscle the rest is burned for fuel. Protein is harder for the body to digest and it doesnt use protein as efficiently as carbs for energy which I think helps you burn more fat. I have been using these principles for the past year and lost 116 pounds.... and still going.

Patrick