Finished my first 5K!! with my 12 year old daughter:-)

Options
I started running about 2 months ago and recently signed up for my first 5k with my 12 year old daughter!
Today was the day and we were both so nervous!

I finished in 33 minutes and was about 10th overall. . I placed 2nd in the female 30-39 division! My daughter finished in 45 minutes and placed 3rd in the under 19 female division!

The reason this is such a big deal to me is one year ago I weighed 264 pounds and couldn't run period! Now I weigh 150 (lost 114 pounds) and am in the best shape of my life (I heavy lift also)!!

I can't wait for the next one in December!!

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Congrats to both of you!! Great times - you both should be very proud. Also congrats on your weight loss, wow! I run 5Ks with my daughter (of course she kills me every time LOL), but it's a great thing to do together. :star:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Well done, both of you should be proud of yourselves (I feel it's only fair to warn you.....5Ks are a gateway race, it's not uncommon for people to get crazy ideas about running 10Ks, then half-marathons etc....there's no end to the madness!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the awesome weight loss, but more importantly on getting healthier and including your daughter in your fit lifestyle. You both did a great job today and should be very proud!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Hooray! Next up, 10K annnnddd....GO! :wink:
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! :)
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!!!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Good work and it's a great thing to pass on to your daughter.
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll! And there will definitely be more races in my future:-)
  • TimTimTimma
    Options
    Congratulations on the 5k, and the loss! Way to go!
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Congratulations & Nice times both of you! Love that you did this WITH your daughter! My girls run with me & leave me in the dust much of the time. Running is great time outdoors together.
  • southernbuttercup
    southernbuttercup Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You did so well! Congrats on the loss and run. I bet your girl is proud of her Mama.
  • EmilyStopFlying
    EmilyStopFlying Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that's so good to have finished it with someone as well. My first one ever is coming up, and I'll be running with my older brother :smile:
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Emily you will love it!!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Well done, both of you should be proud of yourselves (I feel it's only fair to warn you.....5Ks are a gateway race, it's not uncommon for people to get crazy ideas about running 10Ks, then half-marathons etc....there's no end to the madness!

Yup, it's a gateway race (11 half marathons here). Yikes! More time spent with your daughter, more time being a great role model, more time improving your health, challenging yourself, reaching your goals, and realizing that there's nothing you can't do. Just terrible. Might wan't to get out while you still can. :D

My heartiest congrats to you and your daughter!