water intake

Options
Do you think black coffee or unsweet tea count towards the daily water intake? I drink a lot of water but also like cofee and tea/green tea.

Replies

• CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    coffee counts as coffee and tea counts at tea. I have about 3 cups of coffee in the morning and then I try to drink 6-7 cups of water throughout the day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Nope! Water is water. Coffee is coffee and juice is juice.

If you ordered a coffee and the waitress brought you water, you'd be thinking, "It's not the same thing." :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yes, but does coffee/tea count toward your daily quota of fluid? Say I aim for 10 cups of water/fluid a day, do I also include my 4 cups of tea?
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a diuretic so if you are ingesting caffeine you need to drink and extra cup of water to make up for what you will shed. I drink a coffee every morning but I also drink a minimum of 10-12 glasses of water to compensate for the caffeine and my activity level.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I drink tea, and I do not adjust the amount of water I drink. I consider it as part of my daily intake goal. Then again, I do not really keep consistent with liquid intake, as it doesn't affect fat loss.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cups of coffee in the morning and count it as water. Additionally, I usually drink about 10- 15 cups of water a day. That's all I usually ever drink so to me its all fluid.
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    no.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness. Yes, they do count. Water does not cease to be water if you add tea, coffee, Mio or Crystal Light to it. It also does not matter if there is caffeine in it. Although caffeine has a slight diuretic effect, that is more than compensated by all the water it's floating in. Just drink enough fluid to make sure that your urine is clear to pale yellow. That's sufficient.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Oh goodness. Yes, they do count. Water does not cease to be water if you add tea, coffee, Mio or Crystal Light to it. It also does not matter if there is caffeine in it. Although caffeine has a slight diuretic effect, that is more than compensated by all the water it's floating in. Just drink enough fluid to make sure that your urine is clear to pale yellow. That's sufficient.
    The guy who originally came up with the figure of 8 glasses a day is appalled at everyone thinking that other drinks and even fruit and soup do not count. He even later said he may have been a bit high with the 8 glasses figure.
    anyway here, read this
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/11/20/3633741.htm
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I don't really fuss too much over water intake. Your body will generally let you know if you require fluids. There seems to be a lot of mythology around this whole 8 + glasses of water idea. Drink enough that your urine is pale yellow and you will be fine, whether that be water, tea, soda, coffee or cordial.