Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    If you like carbs, keep carbs in your diet
    Just lower your over all calories.

So far the wisest thing said so far :) My problem are Carbs, but I am as well reducing... not ecluding, but tightning the dimension of the proportion per meal. For example, instead of 2 potatoes.. i eat 1 .. I put only too soup spoons of rice... changed for brown rice/pasta
    and compensate the absence of carbs to curb the apetite with... veggies :)

It's helping me to get good results
    Sounds like you're reducing carbs and also calories.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You tell me

I'm not the one who made the assertion, but I'd say....less than 10LBS?

Probably.

• LolBroScience
    edited October 2014
    Options
    derp - double post.
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Adding to what gmstarr1 said above....check out some diabetic sites, too. No matter what you decide to do, if you go extreme for a while in one direction (example very low carb) and then suddenly eat all the carbs you want again, you will regain. So, if you don't make a lifetime change, then gradually make adjustments as you reintroduce carbs again. Make sense? I haven't been very consistent for the last several months due to injuries, too. But have lost most of my weight being carb free or low carb for a long time...not quite ketogenic, but have been in and out of that at times.
  • ilse72
    ilse72 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and, when losing weight, needs to find what works for them. Low carb was the only thing that worked for me and, to lose, that was less than 30g a day in my case. To maintain, I can't exceed 50g a day because anything over 50g and I gain. I am extremely carb sensitive. It is different for everyone so, if you go low carb, you have to figure out how many g of carbs allow you to lose and then how many to maintain.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're reducing carbs and also calories.

Generally a good idea, I see no sense in reducing intake of protein which always scores well as a factor in weight loss, and the fat you eat isn't going to interfere with the fat you're taking from storage, so a 500 calorie deficit is IMHO best as a 125g of carbs deficit.

Perhaps I should give it a name and write a book.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Low carb is great. Just remember to make up the rest of your calories with fat. That's why most people call it a Low Carb High Fat diet.
    You're cutting your carbs to somewhere around 50-100 grams a day, limiting your protein to between a half and a gram per pound of lean body mass (based on your exercise levels), so the only thing left to meet the rest of your required calories is fat.

My current target ratios are 10% carbs, 15% protein, and 75% fat. Yours may vary based on your body and goals, but you get the idea. You'll find that the more fat you eat, the more the body fat drops off as long as you stay within your daily calorie target with a calorie deficit.
  • tdhdee
    tdhdee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can offer you is my own personal experience with low carb. I tried Atkins years ago with keeping to 20 carbs per day. After a month, I quit. I just couldn't stand to look at one more egg or piece of meat to save my life but I did lose weight. Low carb will never work for me as a life long plan because I am such a picky eater. Earlier this year I tried again but this time I stayed around 75-100 carbs per day. Much better, lost weight but again, got bored with my food choices after just 3 weeks and quit. I can't live that way. Now I just watch my calories. I'm losing exactly the same amount per week as on low carb (after the initial jump of a nice week or two of good loss on low carb) it all evens out on most plans to be around 1-2 lbs per week anyway. I decided eating the foods I enjoy is more important to me to sustain my loss. I know I'm in this for life, not just until I hit goal weight. The one thing about low carb that I loved was the energy level and not craving sweets. But now when I crave sweets, I'm reaching for a fruit vs a candy bar. It's all about making better choices for myself. I also get a nice energy boost when I work out. I wish there was a quick fix or magic pill. I'd be the first one in line. Until then, I have to live and choose to live eating the foods I like in moderation and watching my calories. It's working. I'm losing and I don't feel left out or hungry. I've tried just about every plan out there. I'm better off counting calories and how easy is that! No special calculator, no monthly bill, no deducting this from that. I love it. Good luck with whatever decision you choose!
  • Nixygirl
    Nixygirl Posts: 35 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I've been doing low carb now for about 6 weeks, I've lost almost 20 kilo in that time...which is a huge amount, but I have a huge amount to lose. Ive found it very easy, and I have lots of energy. I've also cut down my cal intake to between 1200-1500 a day, 60 gms carbs.

But I went from eating primarily carbs. I've been fat my whole life...but I've always eaten mostly carbs...it's never that I ate a huge amount. MFP tells me to eat 3200 cals a day (to lose weight)...I never ate that much BEFORE changing my eating, like...rarely! But it was always like 400gms of carbs.

So it's working for me :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    gmstarr1 wrote: »
    I've lost almost 40 pounds on low carb since the beginning of February. I've been trying to lose weight for a decade, and it has never worked. Moderation didn't work for me. I tried it for 10 years. Sometimes it's a challenge for me to stay low carb, but it's been a lot easier than just a moderation diet. I get around 10% of my calories from carbs which is around 33 grams. Basically I do keto. 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs.

When I decided to do low carb, I did a lot of research. There's a lot of books out there and websites that will point you in the right direction. Also if you search for 'keto' and 'low carb' in the groups, you'll find a lot more help on one of those boards than on the general boards which generally look down on low carb diets.

Good luck!

congratulations you learned you to create a deficit…

15% protein…really?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    gmstarr1 wrote: »
    I've lost almost 40 pounds on low carb since the beginning of February. I've been trying to lose weight for a decade, and it has never worked. Moderation didn't work for me. I tried it for 10 years. Sometimes it's a challenge for me to stay low carb, but it's been a lot easier than just a moderation diet. I get around 10% of my calories from carbs which is around 33 grams. Basically I do keto. 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs.

When I decided to do low carb, I did a lot of research. There's a lot of books out there and websites that will point you in the right direction. Also if you search for 'keto' and 'low carb' in the groups, you'll find a lot more help on one of those boards than on the general boards which generally look down on low carb diets.

Good luck!

congratulations you learned you to create a deficit…

15% protein…really?

Please do not make me whip out Captain Obvious...I haven't used him in awhile and he's getting restless.

It is all about finding what works for you and sticking with it long-term. Or using multiple strategies. Nothing wrong with that.

Mine has married calorie deficit with keto. Later, it will be calorie deficit and foods on the low end of the glycemic index to maintain.

Find what works for you and work it.

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    Atkins, South Beach and many others have successful weight loss plans.

SoBe isn't "low carb".

You're really down in the weeds when you're trying to argue the distinction between "low" and "lower" carb. These are relative measures, not hard and fast classifications. South Beach is lower than a traditional diet but higher than a ketogenic diet when it comes to carbohydrate consumption, and it's probably comparable to Atkins during the later stages.
  • erinb419
    Options
    I would consider 27g of carbs a day to be "low carb".
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »

SoBe isn't "low carb".

You're really down in the weeds when you're trying to argue the distinction between "low" and "lower" carb. These are relative measures, not hard and fast classifications. South Beach is lower than a traditional diet but higher than a ketogenic diet when it comes to carbohydrate consumption, and it's probably comparable to Atkins during the later stages.

My thoughts as well, but I'm not getting into a nonsense argument over it. Low carb diets... well they are all different. Low-carb is a blanket term for a carb-restrictive diet. It ranges from 150g to <10g depending on which one you are talking about. Though I've heard some people, granted only a few, say they are low-carb at 200g. I wouldn't go that far myself. Compared to the SAD, which often greatly exceeds 400g daily... SoBe is not as low as the lowest low-carb, but not nearly that far off from the highest low-carb either.

While SoBe doesn't count carbs, it DOES restrict certain types, reducing overall carb consumption by default. But whatever. Semantics like these are beside the point, IMO. And if it's all about CICO anyway, who the heck cares?

It doesn't matter to me the degree of low-carb. If it works for you, super.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I have recently started thinking about working out and dieting again after I tore my ACL and lost all motivation.

I was thinking about doing low carb diet as I read that you can lose weight quickly and that would help with my motivation to stick with the healthy lifestyle.

How many grams of carbs would be considered low carb and what percentage of my calorie intake should be fats & protein?

Also any meal ideas would be appreciated! :)

Thanks

Thomas, I suggest you look into the Keto or Low Carb groups on MFP and do some deeper research outside of MFP as well. This main forum is not always receptive or helpful when it comes to a specific eating plans.

Any restrictive change in your eating habits will create an initial weight loss. Maintaining a deficit (in calories and/or carbs) takes commitment and patience. Each person's threshold for "low carb" is unique. Do you currently log your food, that would give you a good idea of how many carbs you are currently eating and based on your research, you can choose to cut them down low immediately, or with moderated changes. If you go from eating 300+ carbs a day (which many, many people do regularly) to under 100, you will feel the difference and if you go really low, you will get the "keto flu" that so many people rag on.

As far as starting to work out and going low carb simultaneously, I would again say to do some further researcher. Each body is different. For me, I find it hard to work out while restricting carbs. I find when I work out a lot (mostly running), I need to eat a lot more carbs, even more so than I need additional calories.

There are some great websites with low carb or paleo recipes, I know pinterest has a ton, but you will also found many sites just by googling "low carb recipes". Again, people have different ideas of what low carb means, so just pay attention to the nutrition breakdowns of the recipes so you know exactly what your getting and whether it will fit with your plan.

I wish you the best of luck! Learning new eating habits is hard, so don't get discouraged or lose patience with yourself.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited October 2014
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »

SoBe isn't "low carb".

I don't think it's in the weeds at all. It's lower than a SAD, which is a HIGH carb diet.
    And it's higher, probably than atkins in ANY phase.

It doesn't limit how many, nor ask you to count. It asks you to consider which ones. Eating bread every day, having fruit every day...

I think the comparisons are silly as well, but I still don't think it's low carb.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Sweetalot wrote: »
    Yes, you can lose weight quickly cutting out carbs but you'll gain the weight back just as fast once you reintroduce them to your meal plans like everyone I know who went this route experienced. You're better off customizing a daily meal plan that takes all food groups into consideration and monitoring your portion sizes. I don't know what your current fitness ability is post-ACL but hopefully you'll be able to do walk around or cycle around for means of exercise if you can't at this point.

As for your intake, what MFP suggests for you once you've entered your information is a good starting point; you can adjust from there.

Why would the OP gain weight when reintroducing carbs? Doesn't weight gain come from a calorie surplus??

As for weight re-gain, MOST people regain regardless of the approach used to diet (yes, even on MFP). "Everyone you know" failed to have a plan for after weight loss.

Glycogen, water retention.

I lost 33lb eating low carb, will I regain all of this again in water weight if I re-introduce high carbs?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight quickly cutting out carbs but you'll gain the weight back just as fast once you reintroduce them to your meal plans like everyone I know who went this route experienced. You're better off customizing a daily meal plan that takes all food groups into consideration and monitoring your portion sizes. I don't know what your current fitness ability is post-ACL but hopefully you'll be able to do walk around or cycle around for means of exercise if you can't at this point.

As for your intake, what MFP suggests for you once you've entered your information is a good starting point; you can adjust from there.

Why would the OP gain weight when reintroducing carbs? Doesn't weight gain come from a calorie surplus??

As for weight re-gain, MOST people regain regardless of the approach used to diet (yes, even on MFP). "Everyone you know" failed to have a plan for after weight loss.

So if someone loses 150 pounds on a low carb diet, they'll GAIN 150 pounds of water when they start eating carbs? :D umm, no.

Apparently!
  • LolBroScience
    edited October 2014
    Options

I lost 33lb eating low carb, will I regain all of this again in water weight if I re-introduce high carbs?

Welcome back.

No, read above. Some, not all.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Welcome back.

No, read above. Some, not all.

Some, limited, number on a scale.