Rookie exercise question

Options
Does strength training cause a slower weight loss? I've been doing quite a bit of Body Pump and light weight lifting in order to build some muscle, and much less cardio (although most of it feels like cardio) and I've noticed weight loss slow to a crawl. Is this normal when starting a strength routine? Do I just have to be patient until the muscle begins to develop and burn more calories in the process? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't slow anything down, in fact since you're burning calories it should speed it up slightly. It should also increase the SIZE loss as well since muscle is more dense than fat. Are you still keeping close track of your calories?
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Yes, it did for me, apparently due to the amount of water your body hangs on to in the muscles. Strength exercises will help you protect your muscles, so that when you lose weight a lesser proportion is muscle loss (and actually fat loss).
  • Annie120484
    Annie120484 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm keeping close track of calories but I don't eat my exercise calories back every time I work out. Sometimes if I'm especially hungry that day I'll eat a little extra but I really think MPF overestimates calories burned so I don't really chance it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It can cause you to retain a bit of water which will mask loss to some extent. How long has it been? Have you taken any measurements recently?
  • Annie120484
    Options
    Measurements is a good idea, I haven't done that yet. My clothes don't feel any different. It's been about three weeks. Too soon maybe?
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Body pump is cardio but would burn less than the more running about sweaty activities at the gym.. I like body pump for toning but will usually do body attack then body pump afterwards.. If you have dropped the amount of high intensity classes in favour for body pump your weight loss has probably slowed because you are burning less, still do body pump for toning but mix it up abit..
    My weekly classes..
    Monday.. Attack then pump
    Tuesday.. Pump
    Wednesday.. Spin
    Thursday.. Attack then pump
    Friday.. Pump and spin
  • Annie120484
    Options
    steff274 wrote: »
    Body pump is cardio but would burn less than the more running about sweaty activities at the gym.. I like body pump for toning but will usually do body attack then body pump afterwards.. If you have dropped the amount of high intensity classes in favour for body pump your weight loss has probably slowed because you are burning less, still do body pump for toning but mix it up abit..
    My weekly classes..
    Tuesday.. Pump
    Wednesday.. Spin
    Friday.. Pump and spin

By attack do you mean intense cardio?
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yer Les Mills body attack is a class gets you very sweaty ;)
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    steff274 wrote: »
    My weekly classes..
    Tuesday.. Pump
    Wednesday.. Spin
    Friday.. Pump and spin

By attack do you mean intense cardio?

Body attack is another Les Mills workout but it does not involve weights, it's high energy cardio type.

When you say stalled, how much weight have you been losing per week? and how much do you want to lose? what are your stats
  • Annie120484
    Options
    Lost three lbs first week and a half or so then bumped up exercise and weight loss stalled entirely... would like to lose ten more (ideally, fifteen more.)
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well to answer your question, weight training does retain water especially at first during muscle repair and breakdown and the fact is is something new.
    Honestly though, with that little to lose, it takes a while. It is completely normal to lose 0.5-1 lbs a week when you don't have much to lose.
    Definitely take measurements, even if the scale moves slow, you'll see visual difference within 6 weeks usually
  • Annie120484
    Options
    Yeah I'm sure you're right. Why are smaller amounts of weight so difficult to lose?? I guess I'm just impatient :) Thanks!
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Why are smaller amounts of weight so difficult to lose??

Because you can't create as big of a deficit as a morbidly obese person.

Other than some newbie gains, you can't really build muscle on a deficit, btw, but you can keep as much as possible. And while the strength training and cardio aren't strictly separated, the exercise you mentioned seems to lean much more towards cardio than strength training. If you're looking to build muscle after losing the fat, you might wanna look into heavy lifting.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    You have to clarify weight loss or fat loss? Weight training could increase muscle mass which would slow weight loss..but this is a good thing... Weight training is excellent for fat loss for this very reason. Your weight loss could be slowing because your calorie deficit is not high enough remember you have to recalculate your macros every few weeks but ideally you need to measure your body fat too
  • tracylbrown839
    tracylbrown839 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Lost three lbs first week and a half or so then bumped up exercise and weight loss stalled entirely... would like to lose ten more (ideally, fifteen more.)

Okay, so let's be realistic here. It sounds like you have just started recently with your weight loss and exercise goals.

You say that you lost 3 lbs the first week and then "things stalled". Be aware that you did not lose 3 pounds of fat from your body in a week - especially when you are only looking to lose 13 pounds total.

Your body, for starters, is comprised of about 65% water. So, scales go up and down, and especially with women's cycles, within a day, within a week, and within a month. These are completely normal weight fluctuations and are just changes in water.

So, if you happened to start your program and you were at "your heaviest weight of the month", and you don't weigh yourself regularly, normally, that 3 pound loss in the first week might have occurred even if you hadn't reduced calories, nor increased activity. It could just be a "normal weight fluctuation". Most women of normal weight will have about a 3-4 normal weight fluctuation over the course of a month when their weight is, in fact, perfectly stable.

It actually takes about 3 months of solid, daily data to determine what your personal and normal weight fluctuations are.

Secondly, if you have just recently started your exercise program, sore and inflamed muscles easily make scales go "up"! It is not uncommon for someone to start a program at a gym and find that six weeks later they weigh more than when they started.

So, long story short. Time and patience is required to genuinely change your body for the better, and most day to day upticks and downticks are actually just "noise".

If you are doing everything right - meaning that you are more active, watching your calories, staying on budget etc. etc. Take your physical measurements, stick with your program, note your weight but don't flip out if you see upticks and downticks, and then over a 3 month period of time, see if a "downward trend" is created.

Assess your progress after three months, then "tweak" your program a bit, if necessary.

The weight training and the cardio are both great for you!

Hope this helps.

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I've heard to stay away from the scale when you're strength training. As stated above, your body will retain more water when doing so.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Does strength training cause a slower weight loss?
    Yes.
    I've been doing quite a bit of Body Pump and light weight lifting in order to build some muscle, and much less cardio (although most of it feels like cardio) and I've noticed weight loss slow to a crawl. Is this normal when starting a strength routine?
    Initially you might build a little strength in the beginning, but Body Pump is more a muscle endurance/cardio type program than a muscle building program. The "crawl" is due to more water and glycogen retention from just working out.
    Do I just have to be patient until the muscle begins to develop and burn more calories in the process? Thanks in advance.
    You'd have to be VERY patient if you're going to rely on Body Pump to build muscle.
    Building actual lean tissue means adding mass. To add mass like this you need a couple of things: more calories (can't add mass out of nowhere) and progressive OVERLOAD training (which isn't done in Body Pump).
    Now you can "reveal" more muscle by losing body fat, but that has more to do with your intake/expenditure than how you're actually exercising.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Measurements is a good idea, I haven't done that yet. My clothes don't feel any different. It's been about three weeks. Too soon maybe?
    Yes. Don't rely on what TV commercials and testimonials say about losing weight fast.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png