Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Getting more toned

Hi all,

So this question has probably been asked multiple times, but I'd like to know if it's possible to get toned in two months and if so, how?

I'm already fairly toned. I weigh 63 kg now and am 1,75 cm tall. (That makes me 139 lbs and 5.7 ft... If I'm not mistaken?). I don't have any excess fat, and I run on average, about 30 km a week.
I would just like to 'tighten' my stomach a bit and I'm not sure how to. I don't want to lose too much weight in the process, and all blogs I seem to find, involve me having to change my diet. I'd just like to know if you guys know of any cool (and fun) exercise routines, and/or what gym equipment is best to be used?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Yeah, lose weight.

Find your BF%, and reduce that. You can't spot "tone". Whatever tone means.

Now, if you really want an "effort" based thing... take up rock climbing or at least bouldering. Lifting your legs up constantly will do a lot for you.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Why two months?
  • dbmata
    because timing.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    If you will get toned in two months depends in so many factors I’m not even going to try to go there. Totally possible though.

You have to pick a strength program, if you have no idea where to start you can google it and you will probably find “stronglifts”, “5x5”…. Basically all consist of doing compound exercises.

The most important thing about a strength program is progression and understanding how to do it. Bodybuilding.com is a good website that has both programs that you can follow and exercise videos so you know good form. I think it’s a great place to find information when you are just starting. If you are happy with your weight there is no need for a calorie deficit. You might actually have to increase calories a bit to have more energy and support muscle growth.

Good luck
  • Why two months- like dbmata said, timing. I've decided to set that as my goal :) I can't really afford cutting calories too much and losing weight, because last year I was severely underweight and was sitting in clinics, trying to recover from an eating disorder :s But I'll most definitely check out Bodybuilding.com !!
  • dbmata
    Funny, the important info that always gets left out.

So you have an issue, eating disorder. Which means, you should really not be asking internet randoms, and you should be discussing with your treatment team.

If you don't have one, get one. What you see might not be what the world sees, and you might not be capable of understanding that. Get pro assistance.
  • That's the thing, my eating disorder is long behind me and all I'm asking for is what exercises people do. That doesn't mean I'm going to go do everything people tell me to do, it just means that I want to know what options are out there.
    Please get it into your head that I have no intentions of losing and looking skinny, I just want to be healthy, and strong(even if that means gaining another 10 kg).
    Why is it always a crime to ask for other peoples opinions and ask what their exercise routines might be like?
    I'm just asking around in hope to find some fun routines, not to fall into this thing you call 'an issue'.
  • dbmata
    Hire a professional who has experience working with people who are ED risks.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Stronglifts 5x5 + eating at a very slight overage will build you some great muscle.
  • dbmata
    Starting Strength is a good program too.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    threnjen wrote: »
    Stronglifts 5x5 + eating at a very slight overage will build you some great muscle.
    dbmata wrote: »
    Starting Strength is a good program too.

Also Nia Shanks, Strong Curves and AllPro. Just pick the one that sounds the most appealing to you and make sure to progress.
  • I'd suggest trying some weight training, compound exercises like squats, lunges, rows and presses Keep it simple but look to progress over time. Send me a message if you would like to talk about weight training
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Hi all,

So this question has probably been asked multiple times, but I'd like to know if it's possible to get toned in two months and if so, how?

I'm already fairly toned. I weigh 63 kg now and am 1,75 cm tall. (That makes me 139 lbs and 5.7 ft... If I'm not mistaken?). I don't have any excess fat, and I run on average, about 30 km a week.
    I would just like to 'tighten' my stomach a bit and I'm not sure how to. I don't want to lose too much weight in the process, and all blogs I seem to find, involve me having to change my diet. I'd just like to know if you guys know of any cool (and fun) exercise routines, and/or what gym equipment is best to be used?

There is no such thing as "toned", a word that was overused in the early 80's giving the people an idea that you can gain muscle through exercise while losing fat. You either eat at a deficit and lose weight(fat and minimal muscle) or you eat at a surplus(gain muscle and some fat). Reality is that when you eat at a deficit, it begins to show what muscle exists under the layer of fat in the process of losing said fat.

You want to "tighten", eat at a deficit and lose more fat with minimum muscle, eat .8-1.0 of your LBM. Preferably lift free heavy weights in the 4-6 rep range to keep your strength. Any exercise you do will be for health benefits and if you just want to eat more daily assuming you eat back you calories.

If you want to gain muscle, eat a surplus to gain muscle with minimum fat, eat up in around the range .9-1.2 of your LBM, Preferably lift medium-heavier free weights in the 10-12 rep range to add mass.