100 lbs to loose!

Options
Hey there! I'm Madi. I'm 19 and a full time college student at NWACC. I've been overweight most of my life. I reached my peak two years ago at around 245.8 lbs. I tried dieting and exercising from time to time, but it was always about my appearance more than my health and I never committed to it. I come from a long family history of heart related issues mainly due to obesity, and it recently clicked that I need to change my lifestyle completely if I want to stay healthy. Over the last two years I have managed to loose 21.4 lbs, but I'm really struggling with the change. I could use some friendly advice from people who have over 100 lbs to loose, as I do! :)

Replies

• hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There's lots of people on this board that have 100 pounds to lose and we have lots of success stories on those that have done it.

I had 25 pounds to lose and just hit goal weight. Your motivation is you're young, and you really don't want to carry this kind of weight around with you. Eventually as you get older this is going to take a toll on your joints, your heart and vascular system. Type 2 diabetes is a real risk.

Weight loss is basic math. Calories in versus calories out, and MFP makes it so simple to track the calories you're consuming with over a million food database, including fast food. You can also add in your exercise on here, but you don't need to exercise to lose weight. You don't need to eliminate your favorite foods, you simply eat less, meaning portion control. If you do start an exercise routine start out slowly two to three days a week, and when comfortable, and or if you want to you can move up in frequency and intensity. Find exercise that you enjoy doing this insures you'll stick with it. It can be sports, a dance aerobics class, spinning, swimming, jogging and walking. They all burn calories. Never eat back more than 1/2 of calories burned, MFP and other electronic devices, treadmills, elliptical's have a history of overestimating calories burned, and people end up overeating their workouts and wonder why they're not losing weight, and or why they're gaining weight.

Be realistic with your goals, make mini goals at 10 to 20 lbs. Be faithful about logging in everything you're eating and drinking everyday. You'll have some bad days, just make certain that the majority of your days are good. Be patient you'll get frustrated with the scale, you'll hit plateaus along the way, just keep going and one day you'll be there.

Welcome, you can do this!
  • corofinlass
    corofinlass Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi Madi,

Firstly congrats on shifting 21lbs and keeping it off. That is success right there!

I also have 100lbs to loose. I know this will be a challenge but the way I see it is, better to stick with this and commit and live the rest of our lives normally, without worrying about impending health problems and the rest of the drawbacks of being overweight.

For me carbs is a major problem. Logging my food this past week has shown where I can make further small changes. Small changes over time can give great results.

Get selfish. Put you first. Set realistic goals and don't give up.

Imagine by next Christmas you will be looking and feeling more fabulous than ever before!

• cavmj
    cavmj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice from hearthwood and corofinlass. I also have over a 100 lbs to loose. I am new to MFP but I have been using another good program called fatsecret.com. Since I got serious about loosing weight especially since I am 54 with type-2 diabetes, I have lost 31 lbs over the last 4 months.

Again its basic calories in verse calories out. One of the biggest changes for me was to stop eating all refined sugars which includes deserts, breakfast cereals with high sugar and limit and or reframe from consuming carbs in flour products including breads, pasta and rice. When I get a sweet tooth I eat fruit. Also NO sodas or fruit juices since they are nothing but sugar. Sugar is an enemy to us. The biggest challenge to overcome is when you see those sugary products is to leave them alone. Even though they look so good.

Exercise of all types is always good. It is a balance of cardio and weight training. Don't be afraid of weight training just be smart about it meaning high rep workouts with minimum rest between sets. Muscle burns fat faster and increases metabolic consumption of calories and weight training helps prevent our weight loss in muscle and losing weight is targeted to fat loss.
  • VENHORST414
    Options
    Hello I am newish (tired this before and gave up due to being lazy) but I am 23 and I have about 80 pounds to lose. I understand the worry that you have. My mother had a heart attack a few years ago due to weight and my father had diabetes. I don't want my life to come to that. Welcome and good luck!!!
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would love to encourage you in your journey. Feel free to add me!
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I've made some great friends on here that are supportive and helpful. I hope you can find the same to help keep you on track.
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! Feel free to add me
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    hearthwood wrote: »
    There's lots of people on this board that have 100 pounds to lose and we have lots of success stories on those that have done it.

I had 25 pounds to lose and just hit goal weight. Your motivation is you're young, and you really don't want to carry this kind of weight around with you. Eventually as you get older this is going to take a toll on your joints, your heart and vascular system. Type 2 diabetes is a real risk.

Weight loss is basic math. Calories in versus calories out, and MFP makes it so simple to track the calories you're consuming with over a million food database, including fast food. You can also add in your exercise on here, but you don't need to exercise to lose weight. You don't need to eliminate your favorite foods, you simply eat less, meaning portion control. If you do start an exercise routine start out slowly two to three days a week, and when comfortable, and or if you want to you can move up in frequency and intensity. Find exercise that you enjoy doing this insures you'll stick with it. It can be sports, a dance aerobics class, spinning, swimming, jogging and walking. They all burn calories. Never eat back more than 1/2 of calories burned, MFP and other electronic devices, treadmills, elliptical's have a history of overestimating calories burned, and people end up overeating their workouts and wonder why they're not losing weight, and or why they're gaining weight.

Be realistic with your goals, make mini goals at 10 to 20 lbs. Be faithful about logging in everything you're eating and drinking everyday. You'll have some bad days, just make certain that the majority of your days are good. Be patient you'll get frustrated with the scale, you'll hit plateaus along the way, just keep going and one day you'll be there.

Welcome, you can do this!

Great advice~

• Madilyn95
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone! It is comforting that there are other that are in the same boat as me (though I would never wish it on anyone)! And great advice, hearthwood!
  • AshleySDJ
    AshleySDJ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You can do it Madi!! I am on ther same path trying to lose 100 plus! Keep you chin up and you can do it!
  • ccmzone2013
    ccmzone2013 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You CAN & WILL DO THIS! If I can loose 180LBS in 18 months ...You can too! No gimmicks! Never give up!!!
  • CurviiRunnr42
    Options
    I have a 100 I'd like to lose also. Anyone in the same boat may add me :)