New to MFP, 97Lb weight loss goal

Options
Hi, I'm a 36yr old , father of two young boys. I'm currently 309lbs (started at 317lbs almost 3 weeks ago) with a goal weight of 220lbs.

I started on my own 3 weeks ago, going to the gym 5-6 day per week. I did a complete change to my diet including cutting out all high fat foods, and soda. I've been drking nothing but water and starting my day with homemade protein shakes. Kale and spinach have been my two best friends lately, along with eating smaller meals and healthy snacks throughout the day to keep my motabolism going.

I joined MFP 8 days ago, and I have to say I love how easy tracking calories is here. Simply seeing how you are progressing throughout the day seems to give motivation to keep the calories down and adjsuting meals/snacks based on the nutrients I am gaining or missing throughout the day.

I never really have understood how calories, carbs, protein etc affect a diet and more specifically fat loss, but through some research over the last few weeks and MFP I've learned a lot in a short time.

Last week saw me lose only 1lb while spending more time at the gym and eating much healthier. So I'm at my first plateau, only 2 weeks in....

Looking to meet some positive friends for encouragement and advice along the way, and looking to give back what I learn also.

Replies

• CurviiRunnr42
    Options
    You can add me :smile: I'm new here & have just under 100 to lose
  • thinkpositive92
    thinkpositive92 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hello I've got 97lbs to lose too! And one thing I've noticed on my weight loss journey is water weight! So if you've been eating correctly, exercising and sticking to your goals then I'm sure you'll see a greater loss in a couple of days :) Keep it up! And friend request sent!
  • CopperB73
    CopperB73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I admire your attack!

If you're exercising a lot as well as changing your diet, it will become important to "eat your exercise calories": you need to take on enough protein and other nutrients to build the muscles and bones you're strengthening by being more active. But those nutrient have calories. Which is a bit confusing:'eat some protein after a workout and most likely it will be used for body repair, so that although that steak has calories, it is not going to turn to fat in you! So Don't be tempted to burn a lot of calories in exercise & them not replace at least some of them with nourishing foods. (Search "eat exercise calories" on this site for a Lott more info!)

And remember it will be a marathon, not a Sprint: losing a lot of weight takes time to do safely, but do it that way, & you're more likely to keep it off.

Keep going and best of luck!
  • IamMike78
    IamMike78 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Tanks for the motivation!

Today is Canadian Thanksgiving and I was able to stay under my colorie goal. It took getting up at 5am to go to the gym, then pre planning my dinner cooking by using MFP suggestions/info, a loooooong walk before dinner followed by a brisk walk after dinner......but I'm almost ready for bed and I have over 700 calories to spare!!!

Getting up early again tomorrow to hit the gym!
  • IamMike78
    IamMike78 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP! After an 8 month hiatus due to a battle with pneumonia which caused some lung issues that kept me away from working out... I'm back and hoping to find some more/new MFP friends for motivation!

Pretty much starting over slightly higher then my original weigh in last year, but motivated to have even better results this time!

So please send me a friend request and let's get going!!!!