Always craving chocolate!!

Options
I'm starting my weightloss journey I eat pretty healthy, however i'm always craving CHOCOLATE around the clock!! How do I stray away from it? It's my biggest weakness, I used to eat 2 blocks a day :| now I have 1 block a week as a treat but I can't stop craving it :c Please help and please don't judge :K

Replies

• michaelahurstt
    Options
    okay thankyou I will try it's just so hard cause I used to eat so much crap and now that i've been trying to eat better it's all i crave :s
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my weightloss journey I eat pretty healthy, however i'm always craving CHOCOLATE around the clock!! How do I stray away from it? It's my biggest weakness, I used to eat 2 blocks a day :| now I have 1 block a week as a treat but I can't stop craving it :c Please help and please don't judge :K

I want some chocolate right now.
  • AlanaTedmon
    AlanaTedmon Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is pretty delicious and addictive! I think it's just a type of sugar craving for you. One way to ward those off is to turn to fruit. I've also heard that peppermint can deter sugar cravings also, interestingly enough, so brushing your teeth or chewing on gum can help.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    If it's truly a chocolate craving, you may have low blood sugar issues or a chemical imbalance in your neurotransmitters. Our bodies release dopamine when we eat delicious things, which is the same thing that is released when we take opiates and other drugs. If you had a heavy chocolate eating habit, and are now cutting it significantly, you could literally be going through withdrawal.

If it's a sugar issue, it's clinically proven that eating something like an apple when you are craving chocolate can remove the craving.

At the same time, there is a reason why metered diet plans usually include dessert options and planned sweets. There are a lot of natural, healthy sources that will provide the chocolate taste with an ample dosing of protein and fiber. Even simple chocolate is not something you have to stop eating just because. You just have to plan for it.

If you're worried about letting yourself have more because you think it'll get out of control, the reality is, sometimes our trigger foods should just simply not be part of our diets until we have a better handle on things. In any event, buying chocolate is a choice, and you can make that choice.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Hi Melbourne from another Aussie.. QLD :) You didn't say what type of chocolate. If it's milk or white choc please try to adjust to dark chocolate instead. I promise you you will eat less since it satisfies more quickly than the others. If you don't like dark try some that have other things added to it, makes it easier to adjust.
  • angrygriffin
    angrygriffin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have your problem, but...
    I have found a way to eat "chocolate" on a daily basis!

Morning Mug Cake:
    1Egg (or egg white)
    2 T Dutched Cocoa
    2 packets stevia/truvia
    2 t coconut oil (or butter or olive oil or whatever)
    1 T coconut flour (that's cause I tend to avoid grains but I think you could use oat flour or whole wheat flour)
    Pinch of baking powder
    1T water

A pinch of salt and drop of vanilla really bring it home! I have had to play around with proportions to get it to taste the best. There are probably some better recipes out there; that's just what I use.

Cocoa is a fantastic antioxidant: it's very freeing to find recipes that incorporate that chocolate-y richness without the sugar.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have chocolate flavored everything. PB w/ chocolate, chocolate protein shake, chocolate protein bars, chocolate ice cream and off course chocolate. Moderation is key, if it helps you have one hershey's kiss after breakfast, lunch and dinner, that's 67 calories total.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,993 Member
    Options
    Are those city blocks?
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,866 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I had the very same problem. I substituted chocolate for a low calorie hot chocolate drink. It took the edge off things. I now find that although I still want chocolate from time to time I can now go and stand in front of it but my arms will not reach out to take it off the shelf. This sounds really weird I know, but I just cannot bring myself to buy it any more. I try to exercise my willpower now by standing and looking at it. Willpower needs to be used or we lose that too. Say no to chocolate enough times and it becomes a habit.

buhttp://www.gettingfit4life.com/about-me/ url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]25436425.png[/url]
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If it is an addition, go cold turkey. After a while, you will be able to be grateful for three pieces.
    I used to crave it but now I am fine.

Similar things I like:
    - cacao nibs
    - Pineapple (same satisfaction in my brain)
    - Cacao tea.

If it is bad enough that you eat a million other things to avoid chocolate tjen buy the most expensive dark chocolate you find and eat three pieces. (Like, make a rule that you can only have that brand, and that you can only buy 1 bar per shopping trip, but pick a store where you don't go every day. Tell yourself you CAN have chocolate but you have to play by the rules...)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    have a look at a website called radiant recovery. there is stuff for sale which i wouldn't bother with but there is also a large amount of information about sugar craving which may or may not fit you. I would seriously look into it though. People who are sensitive to sugar are not like those who are not - and the advice for one group is invalid for the other. I would check it out and find out what is best for you
  • EvelineUK
    Options
    If you could restrict yourself to 2 blocks a day, you can do that again. Just make sure it fits in your daily diet. As they day, a little bit of what you fancy does you good. It's better to have a bit of what you like than dealing with cravings all day and eating all the chocolate in the world when you do treat yourself.
  • EvelineUK
    Options
    Oh wait, there may have been a translation error here. I thought you meant two squares of a bar of chocolate, not two bars.... Still think it's OK to allow yourself a treat you crave if it fits your diet.
  • urgley
    urgley Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Like 2essie, I indulge in options hot chocolate after dinner, it's working for me. I think that if you allow yourself a small indulgence everyday, you are more likely to stick to your new way of eating. Good luck!
  • kerenelly
    kerenelly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You can buy a thing called cacao powder from most heath food stores.. (google it!) If i'm getting a real chocolate craving I make a hot drink with some cacao powder, almond milk and 1/2 tsp of honey or sugar. Sure, it still has a bit of sugar in it but it's a hell of a lot less than chocolate! And it really does taste chocolatey too, always kicks my cravings!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    1 chocolate protein shake for gym.
    2 choc dipped oat bar.
    3 moser + roth dark choc from aldi/lidl.1 large bar contains 5 individually wrapped portion controlled bars of utter deliciousness.140 cals.
    + if you can trust yourself!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Eat it.
    I have a Dove dark chocolate caramel with sea salt Promise (40 calories) every evening. My reward for staying within my calorie amount for the day. I look forward to this and have been rewarding myself with this small treat everyday since July of 2012. Works for me.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You are going through withdrawal it always happens when you eat that much chocolate and if you have any candida yeast in your body they live off sugar so any time you eat a chocolate it makes you crave more and intense.

I understand I am not condemning you. I went through it too. You fight through the cravings and they will go away. If you must must have it go get some 75 percent cocoa chocolates this is healthier less sweet and satisfies the palate of tge smooth chocolate. Also unsweetened cocoa by Hershey or dark chocolate cocoa unsweetened you can add to water or milk and it gives that taste of chocolate which helped me to be able to smell and taste without the sugar I add stevia 1 packet also I ate chocolate full bars these helped the bad craving I don't know why.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Oh and try to switch your sweet tooth to fruit or nut butters its healthier habit to get yourself into.
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I personally love chocolate & mint. There are chocolate mints that are called Andes, depending on the package, one small piece is 25-35 calories. Every night before bed, I have one or two pieces if I have the calories left. I believe this is why I have been as successful as I have been. It still gives me my chocolate BUT it doesn't blow my daily allowances.