Just ran my first half marathon

Options
ES110791
ES110791 Posts: 43 Member
I used to absolutely hate any kind of exercise. I wasn't overweight but I was incredibly unfit for basically my whole life.

I had thought for ages 'I want to be a runner,' but never got around to it, and then one day I just stuck with it. I remember I was so proud when I first ran for 3 minutes without stopping

Today I did my first race, 21.1km easily done. I had an awesome run. Smashed all my training times. Can't wait for next time. I absolutely love running. It's my main hobby, but it's still surreal to think that I actually got fit.

Replies

• LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Wow, go you. Are you going to train for a full marathon now.
  • ES110791
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Na, i'm going to concentrate on getting faster for now. Want to improve my 10k and 5k times, then hopefully do another, faster HM in April or May next year. I don't want to do a full until I can do it in a reasonable time!
  • Pezkin85
    Pezkin85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Your post really called to me as I am in the same position, just not nearly at the half marathon level yet. But I started running a few months ago, and like you, was so freaking happy when I managed that first 3 minute stint! This weekend I managed 8 miles and nearly an hour of running. My aim is a half marathon next year too.

BIG WELL DONE to you! I was the same, never thought I could get fit. I hope to be in the same position as you very soon :) Keep going! Good luck and have fun!
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! Your first HM is a big accomplishment.

I've done quite a few halls and one full.

You are wise to take on some other running challenges before trying to tackle a full. Building your base miles and gaining race experience will pay off if you decide to do a full marathon.

I'm thankful that I was able to accomplish a full once in my life, but it really wore me out on running for a while. The half distance is definitely long enough to feel a great sense of accomplishment, but when I finish one, I'm not so worn out that I feel like taking months off.

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on finishing the half! Like you, I want to be a runner and I just decided a couple of weeks ago that I am going to participate in a five mile race around Christmas. I am sure that I will be walking a chunk of it, but I am determined to run some of it. Your post gives me inspiration that I can make this happen! Thank you! :)
  • sunshinecicadas
    sunshinecicadas Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I know what dedication that takes and it's something to be very proud of. Good on you!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am looking forward to my first half marathon November 15th. I never thought I would be a runner either. But I am LOVING IT!!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Keep up the improvements and keep stretching yourself!
  • ES110791
    Options
    Thanks everyone! And goodluck to you all too. Working towards something then achieving it is so rewarding, especially when it turns into something you genuinely love.

And yeah, a full is definitely on the bucket list but it won'e be happening soon
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!