Stressed out, overweight, busy university student!

Options
Its so hard to take a full course load, maintain a 3.5 GPA and stay healthy. Heres to giving it a shot though! :)

Replies

• rachsoderberg
    rachsoderberg Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It just takes getting into a good routine, and sometimes it's easier to double healthy recipes if you know you'll be busy the next day (then no need to cook and no temptation to eat out!)
    Also getting your workout set to a schedule is good, just like you schedule your classes and wouldn't skip them. Find a time that works each week and stick to it like it's an appointment.

You can totally pull it off!
  • lee134
    lee134 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You can do this
  • gkim210
    gkim210 Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm in your exact shoes right now. I just recently returned to school (to get my Masters) it wasn't until I got here I realized how grossly overweight I was compared to my classmates, and how much I had let myself go. As tough as it is making that transition, I decided to stick to a weekly agenda of the healthy amount of calories I allot myself to eat daily, and at least 30-40 minutes of some sort of exercise no matter how busy I am. Being in grad school really swamps your schedule what with classes, a graduate assistantship, a writing job, etc. but if you stick with your goal of eating right, not binge-drinking on the weekends to de-stress, and walking around campus and making time for a bit of exercise (even a little is better than none!) you'll be fine. I did just that and I already lost 11 lbs. since I moved here a little over a month ago. It wasn't easy and it was a really slow, slow progress but as you've heard since we were young: "slow and steady wins the race!" don't give up! Stick with a routine and you'll notice results soon enough! I used to eat out all the time at home with friends but now, on a tight budget, I shop for all my groceries and make all my meals every single day, and make sure to bring snacks on the days I'm on campus for 8 hours, like a piece of whole fruit and my secret "trail mix" that contains Blue Diamond brand raw almonds tossed with Whole Foods raw goji berries. Make sure to eat, but avoid instant/microwaveable foods, which I know are tempting when you're really tired after a long day of school and cooking is the LAST thing you want to do! Eating cleaner will also help your brain function a lot better, and leave you less chances to crash, which is so important for studying! :)
  • Chaidell
    Chaidell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat :)
  • englandbody
    englandbody Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! We can do it though...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you wnat to be in the best state to study then your physical and mental health are essential to look after. Nobody sensible is too busy to ignore these aspects. Make time.
  • JSE81
    JSE81 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Haha welcome to the real world. Some of us also work and raise families. It's all about priorities now.
  • LilyOfTheValley008
    LilyOfTheValley008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yep I feel you! Apart from the stress factor I find it's also difficult to be part of the "uni lifestyle" when friends want to go out drinking or take-out all the time.
    Stay strong though just take it a step at a time, we can do this :)