Weight training - where do I start?

Options
jdt242
jdt242 Posts: 106 Member
edited October 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I have lost half a stone and am now ready to start definining - I mean, I have another 25lbs to go, but I understand weight training will help that loss along and make me smaller, right?

What sort of weights should I be doing and how many reps in order to get long, defined muscle? I naturally bulk up (former gymnast body) and want a softer look.

I was thinking of doing a weights circuit every other day, heavy weights, 12 reps x 3. Is that a good place to start or should I be doing lighter weight era, more repetitions? I would do cardio on non weight days (3 of each, one rest day).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Definitely high weight, low reps. That is really going to increase your strength and give you a rockin bod.

Do you have access to a gym? Stronglifts 5x5 (just google it) is heavily recommended. There is also an all-woman's Stronglifts group here on MFP with a very friendly community.
  • jdt242
    jdt242 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I do have access. Thanks for the info re 5x5. Looks good!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    All kinds of programming out there.

Try a newbie one and stick to it. Consistency is all that matters.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Almost anything will do, it really doesn't matter. It only makes a difference in a nuanced way, and you're new to lifting, you can't be expected to make an informed enough decision yet.

So just start lifting. Look up beginner routines, pick one that you think you might be comfortable with, and go. Don't think about it too much, just do it.

Be prepared to make changes. You're gonna find out its not quite right, you'll want to try different things, you'll want to adjust when you learn something else. Always be researching and always be learning. Don't ever stop doing that and you'll be fine. There's so much to learn with resistance training that you could be an expert of 10 years and still not know it all. So don't worry about the details, just start doing it.

And any one of them will give you the look you want. If you want a lean look then eat less calories, if you want a bulkier look eat more calories. It's pretty much that simple, but do your research on diet too.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Lower reps are usually done for strenght, higher reps will give you more definition. But if you haven't used weights in a while whatever you do will build you some muscle. I have known people who can lift 3x heavier than I can and look skinny, no definition at all. So I stick with my higher reps, 'cause I want them muscles to show :p
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i think to start, it is definitely wise to just get comfortable with the weights and the gym, etc. i do low reps, high weight, FWIW :) i don't have a photo, but my hubby says i look hot LOL
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    get proper advice from staff at your gym.
    they will be able to guide you far better on targeted goals.
    i just had a 90 min instruction session with the trainer using all pieces of equipment and then me doing same.really informative.
    good idea to combine cardio/ strength early on in weight loss journey,and advised to do strength immediately after cardio in same session.
    i lost 44 lbs thru cardio/ diet only, but weakened myself too much by doing so.
    i still swim 1 hour daily to finish.
    g luck.
  • LilyOfTheValley008
    LilyOfTheValley008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar position, I've lost 25 pounds from cycling/other cardio and although I'm basically hit my weight goal I feel and look weak due to minimal weight training.
    I agree with the above suggestion about having a session with a personal trainer, usually you can get some sort of introductory deal I think. I'm planning to do the same :)