Healthy sauces for bitter vegetables

Options
Hi I'm person that hates vegetables especially the green ones. I have roast chicken with boiled vegetables but the veggies taste bitter and I need a healthy sauce to get rid of the bitter taste. Any suggestions?

Replies

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    i buy frozen packets of cauliflower/ broccoli cheese ready made.170 cals per serve.
    alternatively,i cook veg then put in oven for 10 mins with. 1 slice 30% less fat mature cheese melted on top.extra 81 cals.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice counteracts bitter.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    Try selecting vegetables that's aren't bitter.....they do exist. Also roasting is a delicious alternative to boiling. Butter is my go to flavour enhancer.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    when i boil vegetables i put a little bit of water in the pot/pan and add seasonings like pepper, garlic, basil or cilantro, lemon pepper or parsley, just whatever pairs well with the vegetable you're cooking, and i cook it on high until it starts to boil and then turn the heat down and let it simmer to practically boil/steam out all the water and it absorbs the seasonings better imo. that's how i get mine to taste not so bland. or i add salsa i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee salsa and salsa is pretty healthy
  • KiryuuChan
    KiryuuChan Posts: 2
    edited October 2014
    Options
    hmm salsa veggies with roast chicken? weird combo meal :open_mouth:
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    not sure what you consider healthy but I quite often add mint sauce to my veggies. 30ml is 45 calories
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I second the roasting (or grilling veggies). A little EVOO and spices and/or herbs. Delicious!

I find it helpful not to eat things I don't like. I don't like bitter either and avoid veggies that are bitter to my palate. There are plenty of veggies I love raw also.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Try roasting your veggies. I don't like most of them boiled but I love them roasted. They come out sweeter. Toss with a little olive oil, turn your oven up kinda hot (like 425-450) spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    omg i eat salsa with everything haha it's not weird to me, but i love salsa o:)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    What veg are you talking about? That would help with ide as. The bitters or spicy ones I know are cabbage (raw or juiced) dandelion greens, endive, and collard greens that one spiky looking lettuce I cant think of the name. Every thing else not bad. Make your own sauces or vinaigrette or seasoning or mrs dash adds a good flavor. My faves to add are green onion garlic and shitake mushrooms mushrooms add a subtle smoky flavor.
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You might be overboiling them as that can cause a bitter flavour - try steaming until just tender for things like broccoli.

I find literally just adding salt really improves green vegetables (kale, cabbage, broccoli, green beans) a lot.

Other veg (butternut squash, courgette, etc.) are nicer roasted.

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    KiryuuChan wrote: »
    Hi I'm person that hates vegetables especially the green ones. I have roast chicken with boiled vegetables but the veggies taste bitter and I need a healthy sauce to get rid of the bitter taste. Any suggestions?

If they're fresh, you really don't need a sauce-ROAST THEM :smiley:
    Seriously! 3 cups brussels sprouts (halved), toss with 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Throw on a sheet pan (foil covered to save dishes), season with salt and pepper (I like coarse salt) and roast in a 400 degree oven for 12 minutes. Stir. Roast for another 10 minutes.
    You can do this with cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, asparagus (shorter time for the aspargus or it will look very sad :neutral_face: )...ALL kinds of veggies-then you don't need to have the extra work of making a sauce.

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    KiryuuChan wrote: »

If they're fresh, you really don't need a sauce-ROAST THEM :smiley:
    Seriously! 3 cups brussels sprouts (halved), toss with 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Throw on a sheet pan (foil covered to save dishes), season with salt and pepper (I like coarse salt) and roast in a 400 degree oven for 12 minutes. Stir. Roast for another 10 minutes.
    You can do this with cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, asparagus (shorter time for the aspargus or it will look very sad :neutral_face: )...ALL kinds of veggies-then you don't need to have the extra work of making a sauce.

Sorry-had to add...roasted veggies are like crack. I've often made a whole meal of the roasted brussels sprouts and some hard boiled eggs. Nom.
  • thinkpositive92
    thinkpositive92 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I started making my own mint yogurt sauce out of fresh mint leaves, low fat plain yogurt, black pepper, onions and some lime juice. Combine then blitz (I blend them in my smoothie maker, super easy!). Goes really well with lamb too!
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and spices. Don't over do it with sauces. Sometimes people get carried away and add too much "extra" to their food w/o even really knowing it.
  • parasshelawala
    parasshelawala Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A lot of bitterness comes from overcooking. If you are boiling your veggies, try experimenting with shorter cook times and then flashing them into a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. Steaming is better nutritionally and you can keep testing the food for doneness as you go. Roasting is my favorite. It is slower but it makes veggies sweeter and crunchier.