Losing weight but getting fat - Tips?

Options
I've been dropping pounds but been struggling to get into my skinny jeans. I haven't exercised over the summer so that may be a factor. Is it just because my muscle mass decreased? What's going on? I would like to jump start my diet/exercise regimen again. Is there anything I should be doing?

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If your losing pounds its most likely fat. If you arent fitting into your skinny jeans it cold be from mild bloating due to your change in diet, give it some more time and you should be alright
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you lost and over what period.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I've been dropping pounds but been struggling to get into my skinny jeans. I haven't exercised over the summer so that may be a factor. Is it just because my muscle mass decreased? What's going on? I would like to jump start my diet/exercise regimen again. Is there anything I should be doing?

I doubt you're getting "fat" if you're eating at a deficit.
    Most likely initial pounds were water weight. Fat also leaves the body wherever and whenever it chooses, so if your jeans still aren't fitting, most likely the pounds (actual pounds, not water weight pounds) have not left in that area.

• DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've been dropping pounds but been struggling to get into my skinny jeans.

I doubt you're getting "fat" if you're eating at a deficit.
    Fat also leaves the body wherever and whenever it chooses, so if your jeans still aren't fitting, most likely the pounds (actual pounds, not water weight pounds) have not left in that area.

Came in to post this, leaving thread fully satisfied

/thread

• amberying725
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! You've been helpful. I understand that fat loss happens wherever and whenever. However, it's not that my jeans STILL don't fit. They've STARTED not to fit. I've noticed this in the past month, when I gain a few pounds from the month before. Weight loss always has been slow for me but suddenly not having clothes fit is weird.

But it sounds like I should just keep on eating at a deficit and start exercising regularly again anyway.
  • EvaStrange
    EvaStrange Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Last time I gained weight it was because of a loss of muscle mass. I could watch myself grow larger and out of my clothes while the number on the scales stayed the same. I'd say it's entirely possible that you are expanding while losing on the scales, because the loss doesn't yet cancel out the expansion, so to say. It should stop at some point though, sometime soon. It's quite a while ago that you stopped exercising, isn't it?
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    Depending on what action you are taking to prevent it I.e. Weight training, protein supplementation etc it is likely that you have lost muscle , up to 40% of your weight loss. However the jeans issue I agree with others you're not guaranteed to lose it off your bum . The bum and thighs are the go to site for fat storage in women so most likely to be the most resistant to fat loss
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    EvaStrange wrote: »
    Last time I gained weight it was because of a loss of muscle mass. I could watch myself grow larger and out of my clothes while the number on the scales stayed the same. I'd say it's entirely possible that you are expanding while losing on the scales, because the loss doesn't yet cancel out the expansion, so to say. It should stop at some point though, sometime soon. It's quite a while ago that you stopped exercising, isn't it?

What? Loss of muscle would mean loss of weight not a gain... :\
  • EvaStrange
    EvaStrange Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I meant "I got fatter". Bad choice of words, yes, but I think the next sentence clarifies what I meant. Did you read that far?
  • SezxyStef
    edited October 2014
    Options

I meant "I got fatter". Bad choice of words, yes, but I think the next sentence clarifies what I meant. Did you read that far?

Yes into the part where you said the scales stayed the same which doesn't compute...muscle loss will cause the scale to move just as much as fat loss...

expanding while losing? Yes if you are retaining water...
    loss doesn't yet cancel the expansion?

• Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Exercise (cardio and especially weight training) will cause ur body to tighten up. Worked for me.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Yes into the part where you said the scales stayed the same which doesn't compute...muscle loss will cause the scale to move just as much as fat loss...

But if you're losing muscle, and at the same time gaining fat, I can see how your scales could stay the same but your overall mass would expand. Lose a 1-pound bit of muscle and replace it with a 1-pound blob of fat and clearly what you're left with will be larger in relative size.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    And this is why we always recommend strength training. All of this could have been avoided.

Right. You have to get some weights going girl. Like, today.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »

But if you're losing muscle, and at the same time gaining fat, I can see how your scales could stay the same but your overall mass would expand. Lose a 1-pound bit of muscle and replace it with a 1-pound blob of fat and clearly what you're left with will be larger in relative size.

that's fine but what I responded to was this...
    I'd say it's entirely possible that you are expanding while losing on the scales, because the loss doesn't yet cancel out the expansion, so to say

If you are losing weight on the scale but getting bigger....???? that does not compute.