Beginning of a huge battle

Options
Hello, I am for the most part new to this site, and very very new to message boards or any form of online discussions. I joined the site hoping to change a very impact-full part of my life. My weight. I am 280 lbs at 6'1". i am 30 years of age. Through lose of family, depression, quitting cigarettes, alcohol, and marijuana I have put on a very large amount of weight. I am very active at my job, I try to stay active at location of living but weight lose is something that has not come to me in over 8 months. I have no local or long distance support, this is something I have to attempt on my own. I understand a lot of what i need to do, measure food intake burn proportionate amount of calories. Drink plenty of water daily. 10,000 steps plus a day and 3-4 days of work outs of mixed cardio and interval training a week. 8 months and i have gained weight. The fatter i feel the more i hate and get depressed, the more those feelings win the less i try and am less liked but what few people are around me. I understand there are hundreds of people in my position and worse, but i do not believe due to life experience that i will find anyone willing to help. So alone is what i am accustomed too. Advice is what i am seeking along with some motivation.

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Make some friends who are looking to lose the same amount and keep in touch with them, log your food accurately (buy a food scale if you can), and keep moving. If you eat a deficit you should be losing weight. Good luck to you and hope that you find success.
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    OK - you quit cigarettes, alcohol and marijuana? Clearly you have will power! Can you join a gym?
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Here a link to get you started. You have to want it bad enough, for me it's 100% metal.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • chezwhat
    chezwhat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you stick with it I think you'll find MyFitnessPal to be a really good tool in your weight-loss effort. I use it every day, and especially at first logged every single (measured) mouthful of food I consumed. Right away I learned I had a couple of hidden bad habits. MFP works for me because of the flexibility, and because of the option to 'earn' more calories with exercise.

Many of us here can relate to feeling discouraged; it's painful, especially when you're battling depression as well. I think the poster above who recommended that you search for friends within the MFP community with similar goals and in your age group hit it on the nose. I use an iPad, and the 'Community' feature isn't supported on the app; to search for friends I think you need to go online.

I also suffer from depression, so I know that it can make you want to give up before you've started. If you CAN, try to keep the negativity out of this effort. Hang in there, follow the dietary guidlines, and let the program work. Allow yourself some credit for meeting your goals, and forgive yourself when you don't. You can DO this!