When you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to go off plan

Options
OK - I know the obvious responses might be, "Stay strong, remember why you're doing this, you can do it, etc." But I have, for the last few days (and possibly hormonally encouraged) really been aching to have one big fat meal - a cheat meal. I know some people do allow themselves a cheat meal, but they allow for those calories, either during the day, or the week. I've been craving something naughty for almost a week and I'm just so wanting to give in. Is it ever OK to go off plan... even if it's not "counted" or calories are horribly exceeded, for just one meal?

Yeah... I just re-read it. I know - I'm looking for someone to tell me it's OK, when maybe it's just not. Oh well.

Feedback welcome. :smile:

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Of course it's okay if it's a one-time thing, but definitely count it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    It's ok. For sanity's sake just have what you want, log it, then get back on track the next day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If that's what you really want to do, of course it's okay. It's your life. It's your diet. You're a grown up. If you want to eat some food, just eat it.
  • FeelinTheLove
    Options
    I love all 3 of you! ^ :) Thank you.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Of course it's okay if it's a one-time thing, but definitely count it.

This, especially the bolded
  • ebbiewilliams9
    ebbiewilliams9 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think it's necessary to be naughty. Be honest about it to yourself and cut yourself some slack. If you are really concerned then just exercise more that day.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It's only ok if your total calories is less than 2,000 calories in one day
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Pretend above comment is invisible.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is about learning a new lifestyle by making better choices and learning moderation. It is NOT about NOT living. Part of the enjoyment in life to me is good food, therefore it IS. If I want something special, I'm going to have it. Hopefully I have room in my calories that day, but if not, you log it and move on.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

What? My calories today were 1970, and that was a normal day just barely going over.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    When I reach a point like this I try to plan for it to "minimize" the damage, but that doesn't always happen! Last Friday for example, I had a couple pieces of peanut butter fudge, three slices of pizza, oatmeal with protein for breakfast, pepperoni roll for lunch, part of a slushie, fish tacos, chips with cheese dip, and part of a brownie - oreo - cookie dough ice cream sundae. I basically ate everything that wasn't nailed down that day! I knew I was eating out with friends that night and had been working hard all week to have a big calorie deficit for that day. I still was grossly over for the day, but I still lost a little weight for last week. I went back to working hard again on Saturday and haven't really been craving anything this week. I think sometimes for your sanity you need to allow yourself some things that you enjoy. I have also noticed that sometimes when I eat the big greasy meal that I usually feel so sick afterwards that I don't get a craving for it for a LONG time!
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    What I do is marathon exercise that day and then just go for it. But I still count everything. I managed to have lasagna, sausage, meatballs, and cheesecake at my uncle's birthday but I ran 4 miles and did an hour of circuit training before I indulged.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    of course it is okay. Just don't make it a habit. This is a lifestyle change,not a diet.Everything is done in moderation and if you need an "excessive" day go ahead with no guilt and come back to your program the next day.This is a long term commitment and you must think long term and not worry about 1 day.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight while eating crap all you want. Weight loss = calorie deficit. If you look through my diary, you will see that I regularly eat "bad" food. I've also lost 20lbs doing so.

I do not subscribe to the notion of having a cheat meal/day because in my opinion, no food should be viewed as being "bad." Because no food is bad, all food can be eaten whenever, as long as it's within your macros/calories.

So... go ahead and eat your junk food, either keep it within your calories or make it a maintenance diet break. But to label it as a cheat day is just making you view food in black and white, negative terms.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    As I have gone along, I have started reminding myself on weeks that I have more cheat meals that I care to note that this process is not something temporary, it is forever. If I do not make a certain weight loss goal for my week I am not going to beat myself up for it because I am still better than what I was. As long as I am not gaining and have loss, I will be more successful then if I try to take away everything I enjoy. As long as that cheat meal does not lead to a total derailment, enjoy yourself and try to make up for it if you can throughout the week. If not, start fresh the next day. Just do not lose your overall focus. Life is going to happen and I could not imagine never enjoying certain foods again.
  • Yourkindagirl
    Yourkindagirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is necessary. This is a life time journey. Just don't get stuck off course. Be willing to accept the consequences. Enjoy it, and then get back on plan.
  • FeelinTheLove
    Options
    Truly awesome feedback, from everyone! Thanks so much! I indulged... it was yummy, but not entirely cracked up to what I was remembering (so that was good). Back on plan today, though - as scheduled. Thanks for all your support, MFP peeps! :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    A good plan will have strategies for going on and off.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    But to label it as a cheat day is just making you view food in black and white, negative terms.

Okay, I know this thread is basically done, but I think this is REALLY important. When you start assigning moral judgments to food choices, you're wandering into really dangerous territory. You're not good for eating 4oz of chicken breast and you're not bad for eating a bowl of alfredo. You're neither good nor bad, you're a person. And your choices are the same way. Some choices will get you to your goal faster, some choices will make you happy, but that's where their power begins and ends. When you get to a place where you require external validation and someone to tell you it's okay to eat what you want to eat, to absolve yourself of the guilt of putting food in your body, I mean. That's not good. That's a whole lot more unhealthy being a few pounds overweight.

I just think our relationship with food and with ourselves should be paramount when chasing down a healthy lifestyle. You know?
  • katnewk
    katnewk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Anne092114 wrote: »
    I love all 3 of you! ^ :) Thank you.