Heart rate monitor ?'s

Options
4aces61
4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
edited October 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
Who's using them, chest strap or wrist type model. Is one better/more accurate then the other. Brands, ease of use? I had one about 20 years ago and really liked it. Can't find it but I'm sure technology is much better now. I don't need anything special. Just one to track heart rate and calories burned. I should have also said I want one for tracking calories/heart rate while lifting weights if that makes a difference.
I'm pretty sure the cardio machines in the gym are not that accurate.
TIA.

Replies

• Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing responses on this one, as I have the same question, except I'm also curious about those with "bellls and whistles".
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I used to use a Polar f7 heart rate monitor and it was accurate, but a pain to always put the chest strap one. Now I have a Jawbone UP wrist activity tracker. It takes the place of everyone and tracks my sleep as well. You have to remember to add the activities because otherwise it just counts steps, but once you do it is addictive. It works with my iPhone and bluetooth.

I'll probably switch to the Apple watch next year when it comes out.
  • Fozmeister
    Fozmeister Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi - I have used one for about 12 years now in pro sport and for leisure. I have EVERY workout/training session/match that I have been involved in and is a very good guide as to calorific outgoings - I've even measured how many calories I've used whilst mowing the lawn ! You'll be surprised !
    Graphs are plotted and certain sports / activities have specific max Heart Rates.
    I now have one that I use for running that has GPS and is very useful.
    So, the answer is YES - very useful - the chest strap kind ( I use a POLAR - others are available!)
    Good luck
    Foz
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I use the Timex Ironman Road Trainer Heart Rate Monitor. I'm on my third one in 12 years (can change the battery in the chest strap but not the watch). Nothing too fancy, but it does the job for me. Costs well under $100, too.

Thought about getting a fancier one, but the watches are just so big and bulky. In general I am running at the gym or planned routes so I know my overall mileage. For longer ad hoc bike rides we use Map My Ride and the cell phone to track distance and splits.
  • crookback
    crookback Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin chest strap that connects to my bike computer (Garmin Edge) and watch (Garmin Fenix). It works fine for cycling/running.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have one, though don't use it anymore. I only run and cycle on pretty flat surfaces and you can get an accurate guesstimate of calories burned from a simple formula which is extremely close to what mine would read when I did wear it. You have to be careful which one you by, I know the PolarF4 gives you the "gross" calories burned, not "net". So you have to manually subtract the calories you burn just from existing.

If you are using one its only for "steady state of cardio". Which is NOT lifting weights, walking, or mowing the lawn. It will give you a inaccurate reading if you do.