How often do you buy clothes as you're losing?

Options

Replies

• Frequently_Fabulous
    Frequently_Fabulous Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    One word: Goodwill. Shirts are $3.50. Pants are $4.50 (usually). $6 if you're feeling fancy. I can buy three new pairs or pants and three tops for the cost of one pair of jeans from Walmart or even a consignment shop (where I thought I was getting a deal for $8 pants and $8 tops). I've been slowly increasing my wardrobe as I downsize. Congrats!
  • lesleychev
    lesleychev Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I think I buy at least an article of clothing every week. But I have a slight shopping addiction. This week I bought silk shorts and a shirt, last week Paige black skinny jeans and shirt. It's not good.
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    GenesiaElizabeth Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've had to buy new clothes quite often, prolly every 10lbs or so. It's been very frustrating but I wouldn't have it any other way right now, lol. I wear a lot of stretchy stuff still because it's comfy so that helps...

73722255.png
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Here's what I did WRONG:

I'm a teacher and I lost 40 pounds b/w April and August. In August I had to ditch every piece of professional clothing I owned. I figured I could just buy a new wardrobe for the winter and then buy a new summer wardrobe. I shopped smart: clearance and Goodwill, getting 5 pants and 10 tops. By the time I needed those new long sleeved shirts, 2 were baggy and looked dumb on me - they went into the Goodwill pile never worn! Now 2 of the pants are really starting to sag (and it's a long time till spring, baby!).

So, my NEW plan is to maintain 3 outfits that fit really well. I can mix and match with my baggier clothes for 'every day teaching'; because really, do high school students care about anyone other than themselves??? hahaha! .... and when I want to look... well-put together, I can.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When they get too big, I take them to a local seamstress who can take them in one size and have them look good on me. After one size, they need to be given away.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    skirts are key for me. they seem to be a lot more forgiving with weight loss than are pants. (and easier to take in, if you're up for the task).
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I didn't buy new clothes until even the belts were too big.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    trousers I had to buy as most changes in my bottom half at first, and I bought a couple of new tops in a sale and a good belt! I used supermarket and sales during my loss, then I got some better stuff when I thought I had reached my target - big mistake as I carried on losing another 20lbs so that was all too big! My body continued to change right to the end, and my boobs were the last to shrink! Charity shops and sales are still my home, but I love that now I have so much more choice!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I had to buy new pants when I gained weight, and a couple pairs when I lost 20 lbs, but I can still wear the size 18s, they are just really baggy. I'm now in a 14. I kept all my old smaller clothes, though, so once I get into 12s and below, I will have plenty to wear!
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd had this problem, but so far no dice. I'm 18lb down, but so far although things are a bit roomier, they fit fine. I'm guessing I won't HAVE to change my wardrobe until about 40lb down... Then I should be 2 sizes down and in need of smartening up!
  • lecounth
    lecounth Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I realized that I looked bigger wearing bigger clothes so when something looks like it's hanging on me, I get rid of it. I have been shopping consignment stores and Goodwill. Have been able to get 3 pairs of pants and 6 or 7 shirts for about $70. One shirt was the right size but didn't fit well so I spent $10 to have it tailored and now it looks great. I did invest in one nice black pair of pants for work/church but also had them tailored so they fit right. I have gotten more comments now that I am wearing clothes that fit!
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    After the first 20 or 30 pounds, I started visiting Goodwill every weekend, looking for work shirts. At first I just looked in the section of clothes that fit, but soon I started to buy sizes down, if I could find brands I want. Now I have enough banana republic shirts to wear for a week, all for $5 a piece :)
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    One word: Goodwill. Shirts are $3.50. Pants are $4.50 (usually). $6 if you're feeling fancy. I can buy three new pairs or pants and three tops for the cost of one pair of jeans from Walmart or even a consignment shop (where I thought I was getting a deal for $8 pants and $8 tops). I've been slowly increasing my wardrobe as I downsize. Congrats!

I wish our Goodwill prices were that low. Around here Walmart prices can be close to Goodwill prices. In fact a used Faded Glory t-shirt at our Goodwill stores will often be priced higher than it was originally in Walmart. Last week I got jeans on clearance at Walmart for $7, at our Goodwill stores the heavily used jeans start at 5.99. If there is a really good sale/clearance at Kohls and I have coupons, I can even beat Goodwill prices there sometimes. For my daughter, we regularly get better deals at Forever 21, Wet Seal and Target in either their clearance sections or by using coupons.
  • MystifiedFluff
    MystifiedFluff Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm not planning to buy new clothes until I'm at my goal weight. The main reason is I have all my pre-pregnancy clothes waiting for me to fit back into them. Once I start to find them too baggy, then I'll reward myself with a shopping spree.
  • cranberrytape
    cranberrytape Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't buy clothes anymore because I know they won't fit, and I don't know when I'll buy clothes again. Maybe when I'm down 30 lbs, but I can't bring myself to spend money on something I won't be able to wear.
  • lesleychev
    lesleychev Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I dug out some trousers today from the back of my wardrobe and two sizes smaller than I've been wearing and they fitted snugly lol. Hopefully there are a few more pairs where they came from so hopefully I won't have to go back to the larger size. The larger ones will be heading for the charity shop at the weekend so I can't be tempted :D
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    funny you should post this,
    Had a work program interview today,

I am still wearing trousers that was once tight, but now I think are going to end up too big to wear.

Went to wear my black shirt, looked at it in the mirrow, and am sure i could of slipped a baby inside and hid them lol, thought mmmm, nope, so looks like i may be forced to buy a new shirt soon.

I didn't actually realise I had lost so many inches.

But I try not buy new clothes until ones I have just look way too out of place to wear anymore.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    When "have to" and "I can afford it" line up. Tops I can go longer without buying smaller. But pants seems to be about every two months that they are just too big to keep up and looking decent. I tend to buy at Target and Kohls, so I can get new stuff that is not too expensive
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I actually refuse to buy new clothes until I reach a certain weight loss. I have a lot of clothes from my teens up until now that are in great condition, so when I lose weight I can pull them out and wear those. I actually have a dress that I bought 10+ years ago that I had a hard time fitting in then that I want to fit into.