Terrified!

Options
nicoleagafitness
nicoleagafitness Posts: 100 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
My back is killing me and I'm terrified it's going to hinder my weight loss. I cannot move. I am going to go to the dr tomorrow but I am NOT paying for an ER visit. lol. So I am afraid I have a bulging disc. I've had sciatica before and it's not that kind of pain. All I want to do right now is work out. Yesterday was my rest day and I was only at the gym 30 minutes Friday! Ugh!!!! I'm already getting frustrated. I really hope it's just a random pain and goes away by the end of the day.

Sorry, forgot my questions, my kids walked in. Has anyone dealt with this during a program?

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    My back is killing me and I'm terrified it's going to hinder my weight loss. I cannot move. I am going to go to the dr tomorrow but I am NOT paying for an ER visit. lol. So I am afraid I have a bulging disc. I've had sciatica before and it's not that kind of pain. All I want to do right now is work out. Yesterday was my rest day and I was only at the gym 30 minutes Friday! Ugh!!!! I'm already getting frustrated. I really hope it's just a random pain and goes away by the end of the day.

What about an urgent care center? Should cost less than an ER visit
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I completely get your frustration. I have palindromic rheumatism which causes excruciating pain and immobility in parts of my body. I never know when it's going to strike, but what I have learned is I have to listen to my pain and rest. I am on medication too, but they still happen.

Listen to your body, even if it's frustrating and you might need to rest and tend to it for a while. One of the most important things I've ever learned about getting healthier, losing weight, and moving more is I have to listen to my healthier self; she knows what the deal is :) There is a natural intuition in all of us I think, and nothing is ever over. You will be able to exercise again, and you will do great! I hope you feel better.
  • nicoleagafitness
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

What about an urgent care center? Should cost less than an ER visit

It's not much cheaper for my copay so I'm just waiting till tomorrow with heat on my back. I'm too cheap. Lol.
  • nicoleagafitness
    Options
    I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I completely get your frustration. I have palindromic rheumatism which causes excruciating pain and immobility in parts of my body. I never know when it's going to strike, but what I have learned is I have to listen to my pain and rest. I am on medication too, but they still happen.

Listen to your body, even if it's frustrating and you might need to rest and tend to it for a while. One of the most important things I've ever learned about getting healthier, losing weight, and moving more is I have to listen to my healthier self; she knows what the deal is :) There is a natural intuition in all of us I think, and nothing is ever over. You will be able to exercise again, and you will do great! I hope you feel better.

So frustrating. I'm sorry you have to deal with pain!! Ugh i just want to get through it and hopefully get some relief soon. I will definitely listen to my body.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Wait until you get a real diagnosis then do whatever type of exercises they approve for you to do. If they recommend physical therapy then do it. You don't need to exercise to lose weight. Most important thing is that you don't do anything dumb now just because you want to lose weight and end up injuring yourself forever. Look at the bigger picture.

This...
  • nicoleagafitness
    Options
    Wait until you get a real diagnosis then do whatever type of exercises they approve for you to do. If they recommend physical therapy then do it. You don't need to exercise to lose weight. Most important thing is that you don't do anything dumb now just because you want to lose weight and end up injuring yourself forever. Look at the bigger picture.

I'm not planning on doing anything stupid, for sure. If I did anything today, before the dr, it would be a few seconds a couple times of cobra. No more. My goal isn't only to lose weight though, but to lose fat and tone. That's why it's frustrating. I'll have to be even stricter on calories with no exercise. I just hope I'm overreacting lol it hurts like a B though.
  • nicoleagafitness
    Options

I'm not planning on doing anything stupid, for sure. If I did anything today, before the dr, it would be a few seconds a couple times of cobra. And that would be to stretch it out, not exercise. No more though. My goal isn't only to lose weight though, but to lose fat and tone. That's why it's frustrating. I'll have to be even stricter on calories with no exercise. I just hope I'm overreacting lol it hurts like a B though.

• onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Definitely rest! Alternate hot and cold - heat will relax the muscles, cold will reduce any inflammation. Gentle walking is okay as long as it doesn't hurt, but you should be in bed for the most part!

This is based on what the triage nurse told us when my hubby called up with intense back pain. She said if you lose feeling in your legs, feet, or lose bowel/bladder control, to definitely go to the ER. Otherwise waiting for an appointment is fine.

Your weight loss will be fine in the long run - try to focus on not gaining, or just eating at a small deficit for now. Maintaining is better than losing everything you've worked for so far!
  • nicoleagafitness
    Options

I'm not planning on doing anything stupid, for sure. If I did anything today, before the dr, it would be a few seconds a couple times of cobra. No more. My goal isn't only to lose weight though, but to lose fat and tone. That's why it's frustrating. I'll have to be even stricter on calories with no exercise. I just hope I'm overreacting lol it hurts like a B though.

Being very honest with you, it's a psychological battle that you have to overcome. You say it hurts like a B today and that your appointment is tomorrow yet you are planning on doing some cobras. Weight the positives and the negatives. What benefit do you get out of doing cobras today, 1 day, basically none. Negatives, you twist, move, breath wrong and you tweek something. It's not worth it really.

If there was relief is the only way I'd do it. I tried to edit it and accidentally quoted so I gave up on editing it. I probably won't though. It would only be to stretch though to not be so sore. Honestly I probably won't. It's the only thing I would think of doing though.
  • nicoleagafitness
    Options
    Definitely rest! Alternate hot and cold - heat will relax the muscles, cold will reduce any inflammation. Gentle walking is okay as long as it doesn't hurt, but you should be in bed for the most part!

This is based on what the triage nurse told us when my hubby called up with intense back pain. She said if you lose feeling in your legs, feet, or lose bowel/bladder control, to definitely go to the ER. Otherwise waiting for an appointment is fine.

Your weight loss will be fine in the long run - try to focus on not gaining, or just eating at a small deficit for now. Maintaining is better than losing everything you've worked for so far!
    Thanks!! I wasn't sure if I should use ice or not. I am laying on the couch watching tv and playing card games with the kids. I used to be a couch potato and enjoy this but I can't stand being inactive anymore. I just have to remember to control it whether I want to or not.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're in pain. BTDT, got the flexoril.
    Use the antiinflamatories, use the pain meds, ditto what 141 said about heat & cold, and ditto what they've all said about "don't push yourself! rest!!".

But to answer your question, as long as you're eating less than your body burns, you will lose weight.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html