Any 'Shine' users???

Options
Hi guys! I have been using the Misfit Shine for the past few months and just recently joined MFP. I have my activity level set at sedentary but when the shine info syncs with MFP I feel like the calories burned are high. Do any of you feel that same? Also, where do you all like to wear your shine for the most accurate read out?

PS. If any of you are looking for new MFP buddies add me up :)

Replies

• Tucker20009
    Options
    I just got my Shine today, and my calorie count is way higher than the MFP estimate. It's adjusted my calorie burned by +795 calories, which is huge (MFP estimated 1635 kcal/day, Misfit Shine estimated 2430). I haven't done any particular exercise today, just went about my daily business and ended up walking 5.3 miles or 13,560 steps. I'm 5'1.5" and 140 lbs. Obviously, this is a huge difference in estimated calories burned. Any advice on whether it's possible I really did burn 2,430 calories today?
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Do you guys love the shine? I'm looking into ordering the Flash, their new product being released later this month. It's half the price of the shine. I've been using BodyMedia Fit, but I've had it for over 3 years and am ready for something a bit more "fashionable." Very interested in your experiences. A few days ago, MFP did NOT synch with Misfit, now apparently it does, but I'm not seeing it on the app page. How did you find it to get it to synch? TYIA for the info! :happy:
  • beckywc212
    Options
    Do you guys love the shine? I'm looking into ordering the Flash, their new product being released later this month. It's half the price of the shine. I've been using BodyMedia Fit, but I've had it for over 3 years and am ready for something a bit more "fashionable." Very interested in your experiences. A few days ago, MFP did NOT synch with Misfit, now apparently it does, but I'm not seeing it on the app page. How did you find it to get it to synch? TYIA for the info! :happy:

I got the Flash over the weekend. I pre-ordered from Best Buy. It seems to work ok, though I have had to "reset" it a few times. Basically remove the battery cover and cover it back up. I think this happened when I give my girl her bath so it might have something to do with that.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm a Shine user. I do think the calorie burns are a little high -- it's given me a couple of hundred today and all I've done is potter around the kitchen making lunch. So, well. But in general I love the fire-and-forget nature of it (I just leave it on all the time now); the syncing is completely automatic.

If you're resetting regularly it might be because water's getting in and that's not good -- there's stuff on the website about how to make sure the case is properly snapped shut.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The Flash looks interesting. I didn't get the Shine because you had to touch it to your phone to sync, which I didn't want to do if I chose to wear it on my bra. Is the Flash using a more normal bluetooth sync, where it can sync to your phone from a distance?
  • Jen_Travels
    Options
    The Flash looks interesting. I didn't get the Shine because you had to touch it to your phone to sync, which I didn't want to do if I chose to wear it on my bra. Is the Flash using a more normal bluetooth sync, where it can sync to your phone from a distance?

You only need to touch it to your phone every few weeks...mine is constantly synced and only every so often does my phone (Android) tell me I need to resync...and even then, it's tracked everything from whenever it logged itself out...

I've had no issues...
  • Jen_Travels
    Options
    In response to OP...you're probably not sedentary...calculations are based on BMR, and sedentary BMR is way lower than lightly and moderately active...so when you're moving...you're burning a heck of a lot more calories...sedentary would be someone who's more or less completely inactive...I think of my grandmother in the home as sedentary (love her to pieces). However, if you're walking a couple miles or more...you are least moderately active.

I would go a level up in activity...if not two and see if that helps...

Just because you don't go to the gym 3-5 times a week, doesn't make you sedentary, LOL :smiley:
  • susanj52
    susanj52 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have has the shine a few months now, and I'm very happy with it. When I first started using it I thought the burns were quite high too compared to what my bodymedia had been giving me. But then I discovered I had been tracking as a MALE!!! In settings your gender is the one that is shaded grey, I thought it should have been the other way round. Once I changed that, burns went down by around 200 cals a day. Might be worth checking that if you think yours is too high :)