My HRM is acting Wacky!???

Options
The past several workouts my HRM has taken about 10 minutes to "get going" properly. It usually doesn't pick up a heartbeat until I play with it for about 10 minutes of starting and stopping it over and over again. Today once it got going it actually shot up to 212 while I was running (clearly NOT that hard) :-) I have only had it since February and this is my first one, so I was just wondering if anyone else out there has had trouble with thiers? It's a Polar FT4. Could it be battery related or is it just clunking out on me!!?? Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I've been using Polar for the past few years and have run into this numerous times. Two things could be happening:

The first is that the contacts in your Wearlink are starting to corrode on the inside. Have you been washing the strap? I've found that when I throw it in the laundry, it won't take long before I start to get flakey readings like that. Now instead of throwing the strap in the washing machine, I handwash it. I rinse the elastic fabric with soap, and then I also rinse the side of the strap that goes against my skin, taking care not to get the metal contacts (the two metal buttons) wet.

The other possible thing that's happening depends a lot on what you're wearing. I've found that there's some fabric that interferes with the signal for a short bit. I have a rain-proof windbreaker that cause erratic signals for the first ten minutes or so. Other fabric will have some static electricity that can also interfere with the signal.

Right now, my best guess is option #1. You might need a new Wearlink real soon. Or, you can also send it back if it's still under warranty.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Prob the batteries. But it could be the connections, have you washed the strap like you're supposed to? I read that the snaps for the transmitter can get corroded if not washed regularly.
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Do you always wet the sensors?? Sometimes it will do that if I put the transmitter on upside down.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and if it's too wet it won't work well for me.

Also, I have to have the body belt a certain way (clasp on the left) and it'll work correctly for me.

It's wierd, too, because I'll just start my watch and it'll say I'm at 220 bpm. ODD! I might have gotten the belt too hot in the water.
  • jennvaughn5366
    jennvaughn5366 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You have one that goes around your chest right? If so, try to put a little water on the sensors before you put it on. Mine doesn't really start working until I am sweating. I teach PE and we have about 60 of them and the Polar rep told me this trick and it works really well. Hope this helps.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Mine has done that when it is having a hard time keeping the chest strap contacts connected to me. Usually that means I either have to wet the contacts better or I need to tighten the strap. I don't have a polar though, but when it can't get that contact I find the readings will sometimes jump really high for no apparent reason.
  • Therapist_mama
    Therapist_mama Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40 and I have been experiencing something similar. Mine will not always read my heart rate even though I have put the water on the sensors to the strap. I have had to restart it several time to get it to read on an occasion. I am not quite sure the calorie burn is accurate either as I have been using the Elliptical at the Rec Center and the calorie expenditure is usually 100 + more than the reading on my HRM.

After reading this post now I wonder if the Polar FT40 is not as good a HRM as I was led to believe.

Hmmmm......I may just have to return it.....it was the most expensive one on the shelves at the sporting good store too!:grumble:
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I doubt it's FT4 in general - they just get too many good reviews to be a dodgy product although I guess an occasional lemon is always possible.

Are you taking normal care of the chest strap. ie.
    only attach transmitter during workouts - it saves the battery
    rinse after each workout - maybe taking care to avoid nibs as above
    wash the strap once a week or fortnight
    always use a little water on the sensors for your workouts

If corrosion of the nibs (contacts where the transmitter attaches to the chest strap) is a suspect try a drop of silicon spray/oil (or WD40 or similar) on each nib before considering getting a whole new strap.
  • momof3babes
    momof3babes Posts: 103
    Options
    Mine is an FT4. I do make sure to wet the sensors well before each workout. Maybe I will play around with how I am wearing the strap and see if that affects anything. I haven't noticed any corrosion and I think I am taking proper care of it. I just hand wash it rather than in the washing machine. If I do try new batteries, where can I get them??
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    You can get new batteries at electronics stores like Office Depot or Best Buy. If it's the standard Wearlink, it should take a CR2025 battery. You can remove the battery cover with a coin and check just to be sure.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    only attach transmitter during workouts - it saves the battery

This is what I was going to say...my running partner has to replace her batteries every two weeks because she never removes the transmitter from her strap. I've never had to replace mine because I separate them after every run. Good luck!
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    THANKS for that tip about the potential effect of different clothing materials
    I have the FT7 and have seen very few blips -- just once very briefly but suspiciously high on a run possibly due to the above
    and once from being on upside down, loose and not properly set when I was working out at home.

According to POLAR's instructions I always separate the transmitter from the strap immediately after the run - handwash the strap and only put it in laundry (in a mesh bag) every several weeks...

Because I went and got the NIKE+ compatible WearLink Transmitter and strap.. I actually have two sets. Good thing too because it's only been a few months, so far...I hope they don't wear out >too< quickly!