Exercising in the winter

Options
My exercise is usually just to go hiking. Problem is that the weather is turning and that is no longer an option and I don't know what to do instead. I'm not interested in joining a gym, I was thinking of taking up pilates or something else I can do in my apartment without bothering my neighbours. Do anyone have other ideas or plans to get through the winter months?

Replies

• StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Hiking poles, yak traks for my shoes, cross country skiing. There are some nice sunny winter days, and if you dress for the weather no reason not to go outside. When the weather is bad, I plan to do a DVD workout or ride my bike indoors on the trainer. And there is always snow shoveling! I am determined to continue making progress no matter what the weather.
  • HollyB1223
    HollyB1223 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's more fun to get outdoors, but crazy winters here make me choose indoor workouts instead. I've been burning up treadmills for years, in the winter. Walking and reading or watching movies works for me.
  • DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Compression cold gear (not an advertisement; I can just attest to the benefit). I have joint issues from arthritis and MMA, so the cold can cause issues to flare up for me; therefore, I wear compression gear (either dual - i.e. summer or winter thread blend; or cold gear - thread blend specifically made to trap heat in while still wicking away sweat, allowing skin to breath and full range of movement).

I'm in Texas so, our Winter's only range around sub-50's, low to mid-40's etc and I hate wearing layers of cloths in general, so I find that this type of clothing allows me to do my MMA training as if it's Summer (I seldom train in doors).

Under Armor or the European merchandiser, Sub, have decent compression cold gear. I wore Sub (long sleeve shirt and full leggings) for this morning's MMA training (outdoors) and it was 52 degrees with a -6 degree wind chill, but I was warm as a bun in the oven.

I said all this to say this, get some gear to adapt to the weather if hiking is your go to training choice, rather than CHANGING your training choice....

You asked for suggestions on how other's get through the winter months and adapting (not changing) is how I get through them!
  • TitikiOoh
    TitikiOoh Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Compression cold gear (not an advertisement; I can just attest to the benefit). I have joint issues from arthritis and MMA, so the cold can cause issues to flare up for me; therefore, I wear compression gear (either dual - i.e. summer or winter thread blend; or cold gear - thread blend specifically made to trap heat in while still wicking away sweat, allowing skin to breath and full range of movement).

I'm in Texas so, our Winter's only range around sub-50's, low to mid-40's etc and I hate wearing layers of cloths in general, so I find that this type of clothing allows me to do my MMA training as if it's Summer (I seldom train in doors).

Under Armor or the European merchandiser, Sub, have decent compression cold gear. I wore Sub (long sleeve shirt and full leggings) for this morning's MMA training (outdoors) and it was 52 degrees with a -6 degree wind chill, but I was warm as a bun in the oven.

I said all this to say this, get some gear to adapt to the weather if hiking is your go to training choice, rather than CHANGING your training choice....

You asked for suggestions on how other's get through the winter months and adapting (not changing) is how I get through them!

Oh, I've been using compression cold gear for 2 weeks already, and it's great for fall, but dead of winter where I live is regularly -20*C (-4*F) or worse, with 1-2 meter of snow. So while there will be skiing I really need something to do inside in front of a fireplace.

• TitikiOoh
    Options
    HJMBaird wrote: »
    It's more fun to get outdoors, but crazy winters here make me choose indoor workouts instead. I've been burning up treadmills for years, in the winter. Walking and reading or watching movies works for me.

Next week the temperature is dropping from around 10*C to just above 0*C and with the rain and getting dark earlier and earlier, I'm close to done with rough terrain outdoor.

I've bought new batteries for my Nintendo Wii, and I'm planning on doing pilates and Wii fit.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have an exercise bike in my apartment, the trouble is my bum starts to hurt long before my legs do! Maybe try a second hand treadmill? :blush:
  • TitikiOoh
    Options
    I have an exercise bike in my apartment, the trouble is my bum starts to hurt long before my legs do! Maybe try a second hand treadmill? :blush:

I'm on the lookout for one. :D
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am also scared of becoming sedentary during winter - we have pretty rough ones in the Midwest and I don't want to drop 100's on gear (though I'd LOVE to try snowshoeing). I am hoping on milder/sunny days I can go for walks if our sidewalks are shoveled, but that's about it.

I like the Wii for low impact exercise - 30 mins Free Step on the fastest setting really wears me out! And I can switch it to the TV and watch what I want, so it's not boring. We have one of those Wii Fit stands since we're on carpet, it definitely makes stepping more of a workout, and it wasn't that expensive (and it has a drawer in it to stash games and the remote).

I would like to get more into the Yoga on the Wii Fit too. My balance was terrible and I was embarrassed at first, so I kind of stayed away.

I'm also going to use the cold weather as an excuse to do some bodyweight exercises I've been putting off. There's the 100 squat challenge and the 100 pushup challenge that I'll be working on, on the days I don't want to trek to the gym. There are plans online that will automatically calculate it for you, based on how many you can currently do.

Also, do you have dumbbells? We have a 35lb pair that I can't lift right now, and a 10lb pair that's almost becoming too easy for most proper strength exercises, but I'm gonna find some use for them! I know Jillian Michael's DVDs have the girls holding 5lb weights, so I might try one of those with 10's and see if I survive lol. Or I can hold them while doing my steps or the Wii Fit jogging.

So I'm glad you're working out a plan - the hardest part will be to stay motivated, as I consider my home a relaxing comfortable place, not a working-out place!
  • TitikiOoh
    Options
    So I'm glad you're working out a plan - the hardest part will be to stay motivated, as I consider my home a relaxing comfortable place, not a working-out place!

That's my fear as well. I mean, working out with my couch and right there isn't the easiest thing.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    with different boots, hiking in the winter is a lot more fun than during the summer.

I do the bulk of my hiking once there's a good snow base. :)