Calling all Vegetarians and Vegans!!

Options
heatherisaacs33
heatherisaacs33 Posts: 12 Member
What are some meals that you all make for breakfast/dinner without eggs or tofu? Also what are some good on the go snacks...I usually take nuts and fruit. I need to change things up. I also know I'm not getting enough protein. Thanks~

Replies

• curiouscreaturee
    curiouscreaturee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite vegan breakfast is chia pudding I make an apple cinnamon one, there are tons of recipes all around the internet for different kinds! Sometimes I just have a protein bar for breakfast because I also tend not to get enough protein so I try and start my day out right. (I really like Clif protein bars). Oatmeal is always a good option too. The last thing I'll suggest to you is smoothies, those have endless possibilities. Since it's fall time I made this one the other day and it was delicious! http://86lemons.com/pumpkin-pie-smoothie/ it's gluten free and Vegan!

Hope this has given you some inspiration!!!
  • fit_crow
    fit_crow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Curiouscreaturee covered a lot of the breakfast bases! If you're looking for more protein and don't mind fake-meat products, I really enjoy most of the vegetarian sausage out there. English muffin breakfast sandwiches are nice if you want something more savory than most other egg-free breakfast options. The sausage might be a problem if you can't have soy, but I'm sure soy-free options are out there.

As for snacks, carrots are good if you don't mind something noisy. If you like them, seaweed snacks are great (but can be a little messy at least for me). Healthy popcorn flavors are another convenient snack that I recently discovered I liked. If you can find one with just olive oil and salt, maybe some herbs or something, that's my favorite variety. As for protein again, other than nuts an options might be roasted chickpeas? If you like chickpeas, that is really easy to make and delicious. You can find some good recipes for it online.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My go to breakfast is oatmeal, any version. Steel cut oats, whole oat groats, etc. I like raisins and apple in mine. Today I deviated and had steal cut oats with banana and raisins.

My fave snacks are fruit, pasta salad, any variation of mixed green salad, risotto, baked yams and chili, lentils or roasted veggies.

Leafy greens are a great sources of protein and calcium.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats w/ blueberries or raspberries
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Quorn products are fab
  • TitikiOoh
    TitikiOoh Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat some fruit on the bus to work. If I've got time I'll eat oatmeal with berries or greek yoghurt with honey and nuts.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Every morning before yoga I have a smoothie...3 tablespoons nutiva 15 gram protein hemp powder, 2.5 tablespoons raw cacao powder, 1 banana, and a cup of almond milk (sometimes I add almonds or PB too.)

Oatmeal with cut up fruit (apples, persimmon, or mango is my fave) + walnuts + cinnamon is really good too.

I like half of a good old pb and jelly (flax/chia bread + org pb and an org all fruit type jelly) for a snack on the go (easy to chuck in the backpack for a hike, etc.)
  • miadelb
    miadelb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For more protein try quinoa
  • corofinlass
    corofinlass Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Quorn products are fab
    They are my savour when it comes to getting protein.
  • pleasepleaseno
    pleasepleaseno Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Dinnertime favorite is sauteeing a bit of onion and garlic on a pan, then adding cumin, curry powder, and chili powder. Then after those things have mingled for a bit I add chickpeas and crushed tomato. Serve over a bed of rice & add a side salad.
  • carlcopley
    Options
    Vegetable stir fry or kebobs!
  • KTRXS
    KTRXS Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I really like peanut butter (not too much ;)) and apple wraps.
  • ladyofthelakeontario
    Options
    I love white quinoa with blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, cashews and a lil bit of coconut oil for breakfast.
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    i like to mix greek yogurt, fruit, and oatmeal and let it sit overnight and have it for breakfast. it's so delicious. My go-to was oats, vanilla yogurt, blueberries, and PB2.
    Someone already mentioned quorn products, but they're super tastey and have a good amount of protein. Their chik'n cutlets are my favorite because they're so low cal and they are so easy to put in different recipes that call for chicken.
    I also really like Texturized Vegetable Protein- high in protein and low in calories!
    I LOVE lentils. I make a lot of lentil tacos. They're also pretty high in protein and I think they taste better than quinoa.
    As for snack, I snack on protein bars. My favorite are pure protein. 20 grams in a bar!
    I think my diary is open, and I aim for 120-130 grams of protein a day if you want to check it out. Granted, some of it comes from eggs, but still, feel free!

Good luck!

edit: typo :(
  • nsalley99
    Options
    http://www.thugkitchen.com/

They have just released a cookbook and it's AMAZING.
    Note, a lot of comical swearing.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    pescatarian here, not sure of the vegan limits, but my every day breakfast is oatmeal with peanut butter, dried cranberries, chia seeds and five semi sweet chocolate chips :)
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Here are some sites I use

www.ohsheglows.com
    Www.theppk.com
    Spice up the curry
  • heatherisaacs33
    Options
    nsalley99 wrote: »
    http://www.thugkitchen.com/

They have just released a cookbook and it's AMAZING.
    Note, a lot of comical swearing.

I love thug kitchen!!
  • heatherisaacs33
    Options
    you all are amazing! Thank you very much!
  • heatherisaacs33
    Options
    Quorn products are fab
    They are my savour when it comes to getting protein.

im not sure what quorn is....