Eating 1200 calories is making me gain weight not lose

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    If you are not eating enough, your body is telling you basically that, fine, if you're not giving me enough fuel, I'll go into starvation mode and store everything you give me as fat. Also, you should NEVER eat less than 1200 calories!

No. This is a myth, except I agree that 1200 calories is too low for most people in order to properly fuel your body.

Ammonium, if you were truly eating 1200 calories you would be losing weight, unless you have some medical issue that needs attention. Chances are you are underestimating calories in and, if you exercise and eat your calories back, overestimating calories burned. The MFP data base is notoriously inaccurate as to both.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    You're eating way too little. You should at least get in 1500 cals for your body to function properly. You won't lose any fat on 1200 calories because your metabolism will slow down and your body will burn calories as slowly as possible to conserve its energy stores. Eat some more and you'll probably lose more weight:)

No. Just no.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    renovagirl wrote: »
    I need to eat under 1200 calories to lose weight based on my height, activity level, age and weight.

I have found this calculator to be fairly accurate in determining how many calories I need to eat to lose and maintain.

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=20&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=6&cpound=0&cheightmeter=180&ckg=60&cactivity=1.2&printit=0&x=61&y=4

1200 is a guideline, not an absolute

You have your weight entered as 0 pounds, and that's why it's telling you that. How much do you weigh?

Those are not my specific stats. I copied the link as an example

Each person needs to enter THEIR OWN INFORMATION

Hi OP. I'm 3lbs lighter than you and 1 inch taller than you. Not sure your age, but I'm 24. I would recommend using the Scooby calculator, as this one looks like it doesn't factor in eating back exercise calories..or healthy intake at all.

Mine told me to eat 800 calories a day to lose 2lbs a week. That will happen...via water weight and losing lean muscle weight over time.

The Scooby calculator is much more accurate and also factors in your exercise so you can have a safe and accurate number to go by.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Could be sodium or a period coming that is causing water retention. Have you popped in the last few days? If you haven't, that can account for some, too.

If you aren't weighing and measuring, you may be eating more than you think.

Don't forget about whooshes, either. Some people lose nothing, then nothing and nothing and then lose like four pounds in a week. The Nothing's suck, but the whooshes are great!

You could also have a medical issue. If you haven't had your weight loss journey overseen by a doctor, make an appointment. For the longest time, nobody believed me about what I was eating - not even my lazy doctor or the dopey dietician. Then I got diagnosed, treated and started losing weight...and everyone believed me.

If you KNOW you're doing everything right, keep trying new doctors until you find one who believes you and treats you.

Good luck!

^^^^^^^ this

And for me, I also gained weight at 1200 calories but after a time period I would have a big drop and then go through the same thing again, and again and again. If you look at my profile pic you will see the pattern. Maybe you are the same. I try to stay away from a lot of salt and all pop and I try to drink at least 6 cups of water a day (I used to drink none, so I'm getting much better). Take care ;)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I need to eat under 1200 calories to lose weight based on my height, activity level, age and weight.

I have found this calculator to be fairly accurate in determining how many calories I need to eat to lose and maintain.

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=20&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=6&cpound=0&cheightmeter=180&ckg=60&cactivity=1.2&printit=0&x=61&y=4

1200 is a guideline, not an absolute

You have your weight entered as 0 pounds, and that's why it's telling you that. How much do you weigh?

Those are not my specific stats. I copied the link as an example

Each person needs to enter THEIR OWN INFORMATION

Well, it seems pretty inaccurate for my stats. And no, you're not going to find support here for telling people to eat so low. It's against the Community Guidelines to do so.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    OP- see if you can find a place to get your BMR tested. I recently did and found that mine is only 995 cals. (which is much lower than even the "low end" of the BMR chart). It is possible that you don't need as much as 1.200 depending on you lifestyle, body, and exercise plan. However the only way to determine that is to go and see a professional.

Good luck.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yes let's all go doctor shopping until we find one that diagnoses us with the disease we want.

I got slow thyroids
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    If you are not eating enough, your body is telling you basically that, fine, if you're not giving me enough fuel, I'll go into starvation mode and store everything you give me as fat. Also, you should NEVER eat less than 1200 calories!

No.

Your body cannot create mass out of that high of a deficit. Just no

Science ftw
  • xmarliessss
    xmarliessss Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    You're eating way too little. You should at least get in 1500 cals for your body to function properly. You won't lose any fat on 1200 calories because your metabolism will slow down and your body will burn calories as slowly as possible to conserve its energy stores. Eat some more and you'll probably lose more weight:)

No. Just no.

Yes I know, you'll lose weight anyway when contuining eating 1200 cals. But that will take unnecessary time and it's not healthy for your body at all. Think about hair loss, feeling cold all the time etc.. But that's just my opinion!
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

No. Just no.

Yes I know, you'll lose weight anyway when contuining eating 1200 cals. But that will take unnecessary time and it's not healthy for your body at all. Think about hair loss, feeling cold all the time etc.. But that's just my opinion!

No as to this part:
    You won't lose any fat on 1200 calories because your metabolism will slow down and your body will burn calories as slowly as possible to conserve its energy stores. Eat some more and you'll probably lose more weight:)

Really eat 1200 and you will lose weight, unless you have some medical condition that does not allow this or you are a special snowflake. :smile: :wink:

1500 just might be maintenance for some smaller folks, so that's not the correct answer either. Eating more generally leads to weight gain, because realistically for the average person who is not losing at 1200, 1500 will most likely lead to weight gain. Why? Because that person is most likely eating more than they realize. It's a common error.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's....it's... STARVATION MODE
    U71Ms.gif