Anyone with Type 2 Diabetes who controlled it and/or lost weight?

Hello, I wasn't sure whether to put this in Success Stories or Motivation and Support, because this isn't for me, it's for my dad. He has uncontrolled Type 2 Diabetes, and refuses to go to the doctor or even talk about it. I know that it will be hard to convince him to at least attempt to adapt a healthier lifestyle because he won't make any lasting changes until he truly wants to get better for himself, and I believe that he has given up. I was hoping that if he saw that other people could get better, than he could too. Are there any success stories that you guys could share with me? I would really like for my dad to live to see his children get married, and watch his grandchildren grow up, and it is killing us to watch him do this to himself. Any stories and advice are much appreciated.

Replies

• Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    I am Type 2. I've lost 40 pounds since diagnosis, I test daily and have non-daibetic numbers. I exercise 5 days a week. The biggest thing I remember each day is diabetes never takes a day off.

I'm sorry to hear your father is reluctant to change his life around. Unfortunately, when that happens, things spiral out of control such as kidney failure, loss of eyesight, and possible amputation of limbs.

Honestly, not sure if you've done this or not, but tell him how much you want him to live to see his grandchildren grow up. Maybe he needs to hear that again?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Do whatever you can to get him to to doctor (do not focus on the food for now.) Once he calms his anxiety by seeing the doctor, he will be able to see that the doc has a reasonable plan for him.
    (Sometimes the not-knowing part is much worse than the knowing.)
  • chunkyhoney78
    chunkyhoney78 Posts: 37 Member
    I have type 2 diabetes. When I found out my A1C was 10 last month and now its at 6.6 I only have to get it to 6.4 to be out of the diabetic range. I workout and limit my carb intake. I have lost 47lbs to date but since finding out I have lost 16lbs. I cut out bread, white rice, pasta, breaded food, soda, sweet tea, sweets of any kind even fruit. Im not big on sweets but have always had a weakness for chips and pasta. Try to get him to drink more water and walk after each meal even if its only for 10 mins some walking is better than no walking if that's to much for him youtube has some great workouts for those who might be chair/wheelchair bound. I know it took me a long time to break down and see the dr I was scared but im glad I finally did. get him a meter the best time to test his blood sugar is 2 hrs after he ate. Try to talk him into going to the dr. good luck hope he takes action.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    My A1C was 7.7 when I started a few years ago. Even though I was nearly 500 lbs for most of my 20's, it was the diagnosis from the doctor of my type II diabetes that got me to change. I took 6 different meds to not only control the diabetes but also get my high blood pressure down. Following my doctors orders I lowered my carb intake, avoided white rice, fruit juice, quit soda pop cold turkey and began moving more. I was pretty sedentary in the past from a bad back injury so it really sucked at first. I started with just walking and 1 mile took a little over 1 hr to complete with the numerous breaks I needed to take to rest. It got better with consistency and time. After a little over 1 year I lost 100 lbs. and was no longer diabetic. A1C was 5.4 and have been med free since 2011. Though I am more relaxed on my carb intake now, I still avoid soda pop. I don't miss it anyways.

I have a friend who is very obese. 400+ lbs. Has family history of type II diabetes and was even hospitalized a couple years ago for a blood clot that was nearing his heart. On top of being sedentary, potential of developing blood clots and the weight, it's just not good at all. I've tried to get him to join me at the gym, use the MFP app to track his calories and he just is full of excuses. "It's too hard. I forget, to do it, etc etc" It pisses me off so much that he just doesn't give 2 *kitten* so I finally stopped talking to him when it comes to his health. I know is a bit disheartening to read this but you can't force someone you care about to change unless they want to. I am done with trying to convince my friend to change. If he ever really wants to change and asks for help, I will help him how I can but I am no longer bringing it up myself.
  • RisingFromAshes
    RisingFromAshes Posts: 27 Member
    I was diagnosed with Type 2. Weighed 282 at the time. They started me on an oral dose of Metformin, I tested regularly and realized that if I wanted to live a healthy life and be a strong role model for my kids, I needed to take action. Between diet and exercise, I was able to wean off the oral meds. No longer take anything for the diabetes. Last A1C was 5.2%. I have lost weight and feel better than I have in years. Still have a long way to go but my overall health (blood pressure, LDL/HDL/ cholesterol, heart health, diabetes) have all improved.

It can be done. My dad did it as well. Tell your father it is hard work, but he will never regret it.
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 308 Member
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 5 years ago. I am 27. I will be honest in saying that for almost 5 years I didn't take the diagnosis seriously. I still ate what I wanted and thought that the Metformin would be my magic "fix," and that I didn't actually have to do anything to lower my numbers. Well in the past 2 weeks, I had a miscarriage. My OB/GYN did an A1C and it pegged my numbers around 10. Losing our first child was the worst pain (mentally and physically) that I have ever experienced. I had started keeping tabs on my medication and eating healthier about a week before I lost the baby. Now, I am eating healthier than I have in over 5 years. I take my medication daily and I watch my sugars, carb and fat intake. My blood pressure is very good, so that's always a good thing. My husband is amazingly supportive of me. He attends my doctor's appointments with me and helps me remember to take my medication if it's a busy morning or if we are out of town. I have an appointment with an Endocrinologist on Halloween, and we are going to find out if I need to be testing and what else we can do to keep my numbers low. I exercise daily as well.

Having a good support system has honestly been part of the battle. You cannot force someone to change, and unfortunately, it took the loss of our little one for me to get serious and to realize that I have to do this for myself before I can do this for anyone else.

Good luck to your Dad! I wish you both well!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I'm not exactly diabetic, but pretty close. I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I was only 2-3 points away from being considered officially a type 2 diabetic.

I have lost over 90 pounds so far. After losing a good chunk of weight, I started testing in the normal range. I was still keeping close watch for my carbs because messing up made my blood sugar go back to pre-diabetic range, but not as badly as it used to be.

Things are even better right now. I can officially say that my pre-diabetes is well under control without too much effort. I can handle more carbs than I ever could and my blood sugar stays in the normal range. I basically can eat whatever I want! It's such a relief to be at the stage where I make better choices because I want to, not because I have to. It's liberating!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!