How long are your workouts/how many cals do you aim to burn?

Options
And, what do you do at said workouts?

I've discovered stationary biking is awesome for my heart (doesn't give me heart palpitations and trigger my tachycardia), so I've started incorporating that into my workouts this past weekend, and plan to make it a regular thing. It also is a great burn! I try to aim for 45 minutes or less, and to burn 150-250 calories a workout.

How about you?

Replies

• victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I love the use of an exercise bike. usually on that I can go an hour. The most calories I have burnt on the exercise bike is 264. Pretty good. I like the treadmill, hate the elliptical. Usually I can go 30 to 40 minutes on the treadmill, but I have got behind on it(haven't done that many minutes since I was a teen).
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I do lots of different exercise. I have personal training sessions and burn around 300 calories...lots of weights/squats/lunges/kettlebells then intervals on the treadmill/bike/elliptical/rower.
    Spinning burns around 350 calories in 45 minutes.
    Aerobics burns around 300 for an hour.
    Step aerobics burns around 350 calories in an hour.
    Core stability burns around 250 calories for an hour, as it's a lot of weights and abs things, but not much cardio.
    My own gym sessions usually burn around 400 calories as I spend a lot of time on the cardio machines.
    Zumba burns about 250 calories in 45 mins...it's more fun than a workout.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I do a parkrun each Saturday - 5km run in under 30 mins. That'll be a 300 cal burn. I also do a long 10k run on Sunday, which is about 600 cals. During the rest of the week, dance classes, dog walks, etc. I may not log each of these.
  • spideywebb77
    spideywebb77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I workout anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour a day 5 or 6 days a week. When on the treadmill for an hour yesterday I burned 882 calories.

(As measured by my HRM)
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My workouts are similar to a circuit training. It is the beginner basics of tkd, they last anywhere from 20-30 minutes on a lower cal side I burn 355 cal and on the high side up to 416 cal. I plan to wear a HRM to get a more accurate reading. I think it is pretty spot on though.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Three days a week I do weight lifting and strength training after a few stretching exercises and a quick HIIT on the Stairmaster. Two days a week I do about 45 minutes of circuit training at a pretty quick pace and then swim for 30 minutes. I generally burn between 300 and 450 calories for each. Two days I take a break for recovery.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    sometimes i'm happy to be a heavy guy...i burn double the calories when i exercise lol
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Lately I've REALLY been slacking. After midterms I'm getting a Gold's membership so I expect my routine to change, but for now I do heavy cardio (zumba) 2-3 times a week for 45-60 minutes, sometimes more, depending on the class, and I can shoot for a burn of anywhere between 550 and 750, depending on how hard I work. I need to work more lifting and resistance in there soon.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    About an hour. push day pull day leg day four times a week. About 180 calories or so burned.
  • HealthySideofLife
    HealthySideofLife Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love love love the stationary bike. I get a really good burn and sweat from it. I try to do cardio for at least an hour, which right now is the treadmill and the bike. Then I do weight machines at the gym as long as I want.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I run 3-4 miles about 3 times a week (about 360 cals per run). Takes between 35-45 mins depending on the distance. I bike around 12-15miles at the weekends (about 600 cals) - takes about 1-1.25 hours.
  • EvelineUK
    Options
    It depends on how long the tv-show is that I'm watching while on my stationary bike. ;)

I try about 30-45 min. on the bike and then do some restistance bands and squats, making the total work out about an hour.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I like walking/jogging on the treadmill. I usually do a hill interval program when walking. I've been aiming to burn 1,000 calories 3-4 times a week.

I'm now beginning to use the recumbent elliptical because my feet bother me while walking/jogging on the treadmill, outside at the track, and at the park.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Speedwalking for 30 minutes usually burns me about 200 cals. If I'm at the gym I usually do the elliptical because joint/back probs. I'll burn anywhere from 500 to 700 cals an hour on the elliptical depending on how much I put into it. I also wear a HRM with chest strap.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'll work a lifting session between one and two hours. My goal is to burn 1 calorie per hour.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I exercise for about an hour each time, and burn between 750 - 1200 calories depending on what I am doing.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Short runs of 5-6 miles will take me less than an hour, and burn in the order of 600 calories. That tends to be midweek. Weekends are for long runs of up to 15 miles at the moment, so generally 1100-1500 cals over 2-3 hours.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I don't aim for a particular time unless I'm going for a longer run/more miles...I'd say average is burning 600-800 calories...varied exercise (pole dance, Pilates, running)...duration is usually at least 1 hour unless I'm in a rush.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I do workouts for the cardiovascular health. Any calories burned is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I usually burn between 3-5 hundred calories per workout/ five times a week. I am now doing a bit more strength training w/ machines and free weights rather than being a cardio *kitten*. I feel tighter already. Ha. B)