different types of protein

Options
Hi,
I was wondering if there are different types of protein and whether some are better than others ? For example if I get half of my protein from protein bars / shakes is that ok ?
Thanks

Replies

• AlanaTedmon
    AlanaTedmon Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I was wondering if there are different types of protein and whether some are better than others ? For example if I get half of my protein from protein bars / shakes is that ok ?
    Thanks

Protein shakes and bars are a great way to supplement if you are trying to hit a set goal. I've noticed for myself personally that I prefer getting my protein from meats, eggs and cheeses because they tend to have less sugar in them than the bars, plus they are less pricey.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    So as I understand it, shakes and bars:
    1. are more expensive
    2. will not fill me up as much
    3. add other things that need to fit within my macros (eg sugar).

*but* nutritionally provide the same thing to my body as any other source.

Is that right ?
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Whole food protein will keep you full longer if you have a caloric deficit goal. If you're looking to supplement go with isolate or hydrolyzed and avoid concentrate.
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Eating more whole food will speed up metabolism because of the energy required to digest it. Protein powder is convenient and fast but overall i wouldn't consume more than a couple of scoops a day and try to focus mostly on whole food protein.