no time excuse

Options
Hello all! I am a single mom, working a full time job as well as teaching two classes at the local community college. Time is precious and, unfortunately, I have been using this as an excuse to eat unhealthy foods. This has thrust me into a terrible cycle of bloating, weight gain, and lethargy. What's worse is I have a 6-year old daughter. currently, she is healthy and fit, but I don't want to teach her these bad habits.

This week I have decided to prepare my meals for the week today so that I can no longer use lack of time as an excuse. I am thinking that spending this time cooking together will make for some good bonding time for my daughter and me.

I would like to use this forum not only for a bit of motivation and support, but also accountability. For the sake of my daughter's and my health and happiness, we need to stick to this plan.

Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Good for you! And your daughter! Cooking from scratch can be both fun and rewarding. Takes some time for planning and preparation, but it makes some of the most critical moments, when you're hungry, a lot easier to handle.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    So glad that you've decided to take steps to overcome your time struggle. I know it's harder to come up with a healthy meal last minute, especially when the kids want to eat NOW, so having things prepared in advance and ready to heat can really help!

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Teaching your daughter to cook is an awesome idea. There are some many posts here from young adults who eat nothing but fast food or pre-packaged/prepared foods because they don't know how to cook. Cheers to you!
  • kashadilla
    kashadilla Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great job recognizing it as an excuse and doing something about it! I've played this game with myself pretty often too, and I have been trying to find small ways to overcome it.

I make say, 6 chicken breasts with dinner instead of 2 so I can chop up the leftovers for salads. Or taking a few hours one afternoon to pre-assemble some meats and sauces in ziplock bags so they can be thrown into the crock pot easily one day. I also love making a huge pot of soup (usually veggie or bean & ham) and freezing the leftovers in a muffin tin. Makes perfect little portions that I can grab for lunch. Making overnight oatmeal so breakfast is ready in the morning. Those steam bags of frozen veggies you can just throw in the microwave are my life saver, my 'default' meal is a bag of frozen veggies and baked chicken breasts or fish fillets. Takes me 5 minutes to season the meat, stick it in the oven, and nuke a bag of veggies.

You can do it, good luck! :)
  • jp0202
    jp0202 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good on you blugrsmonkey!
    As they say not preparing is preparing to fail, so it's a great idea to prepare all your weekly meals today.
  • blugrsmonkey
    Options
    Thanks for the support and ideas to keep up the good work! FYI, so far we have had no fast food this week and have been eating our pre-portioned meals. The only exception was I was extremely hungry after my salad yesterday and grabbed a croissant from the cafe at my work, which I shared with my co-worker. I know it is just a few days, but it is already much better than what we have been doing!