Resistance newbie to weights

Options
I'm off for a gym induction today and would really like to do some free weights, not machines, with a view to lifting heavier, having read some articles about it. Is it ok to just start on free weights, as a newbie, or should I start on machines first, just to get used to it?
I think I know the answer (i.e. just do it!), but thought I'd canvas opinion first, to support my decision with the trainer.

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Aside from cabled machines, you want barbell training. Machines tend to work isolations as well as forcing you into a single plane of motion, neither of which will build stabilizers with the effectiveness of compound barbell movements.
    Given you're a beginner, I highly recommend either Starting Strength or Stronglifts.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    See my comment here from a few days ago:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/21768646/#Comment_21768646

I count as "freeweights" anything that doesn't have a fixed path of movement.. including cable machines, dumbbells, sandbags, car tires, etc. I disagree that you must include barbells.. unless you want to compete in powerlifting.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Freeweights, for sure.
  • Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    machines and free weights.......some of the machines are awesome.....some are not. For example I have 24 hr. access to my gym. If its 2 in the morning and I am benching by myself the smith machine is great. Way safer.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the replies and links. I was keeping an open mind, and the PT was very good. He introduced me to kettlebells and some of the basic machines, and suggested a re-assessment in a few weeks. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks again.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    kettlebells, nice. Those look fun.