I have to go to a relatives house for a spaghetti dinner

Options
Hello MFP Community,

Have any of you been in a situation where you have to go to a friends or relatives house for dinner? My family and i had to go to a relatives hour for a spaghetti dinner. Since i have been counting calories and eating better it makes it kind of difficult when I am trying to avoid processed carbs (white Pasta). Also, I try to only make my own meals so I can control what I am eating and to properly count the calories, which you can't do when someone else cooked a meal. How do you handle these situations without being offensive or isolating yourself from every gathering? Have any of you experienced this?

Thanks,

Anthony

Replies

• BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    You'll live.......
  • jeedsjds13
    jeedsjds13 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    1. You don't stress
    2. You enjoy the company
    3. You make a best guess for counting (better than not inputting anything by the sounds of you)
    4. You move on and keep on trucking, living everyday.

Trust me, it won't be the end of the world (bariatric patient here, my eating will never be like anyone else's ever again).
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I just eat. I control my portions, but I let myself live a little and not stress out over a little lack of control. You get back on track the next day, you won't ruin your progress in one meal. Enjoy the food and enjoy the company, it will be ok!
  • MarissaPalm
    MarissaPalm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You'll live.......

Exactly.

One time won't hurt, so just enjoy it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You do this:tumblr_mb555ods8Y1r1amgeo3_250.gif
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    just try to eat small portions. Part of making a lifestyle change involves learning to deal with these types of situations.
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Eat lightly during the day. Take a reasonable portion, eat sloooowly. Maybe there will be salad with dressing on the side. Or steamed veggies. Make lots of conversation and enjoy yourself. Dinner with friends is part of life. It won't derail you.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Basically when I started, I gave up eating out eating with friends, and only eat clean. Now I just sit at home with my food scale and measuring cups and whole foods. I am lonely but in control.
  • GoingSlightlyMad
    GoingSlightlyMad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    A lifestyle change includes occasional treats and social situations like this. Don't worry and enjoy it!
  • GoingSlightlyMad
    GoingSlightlyMad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Basically when I started, I gave up eating out eating with friends, and only eat clean. Now I just sit at home with my food scale and measuring cups and whole foods. I am lonely but in control.

^^^^ This
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Have a good time. Try to eat moderate portions.

I am going to my mother-in-law's tonight and will try to do that, too
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

^^^^ This

I just threw an Adventure Time birthday party for my daughter. That is the most relevant thing I can add to this post.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I usually save myself a few more calories for dinner than normal, eat a reasonable portion, and try to estimate something from the database to log. Even if it's not exact, one day is not a big deal. Moreover, you need to figure out how you will keep the weight off long term. This includes holidays and special events.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Take a small portion of pasta and extra salad. Skip the bread. Log the calories using your best guess.

Like others have said, this won't be the last time. It's good the have a game plan going in.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Eat the food, thank them, say 'wow, this is delicious - is it ground beef or italian sausage?' and 'how did you get the pasta so amazing, do you add butter?'

And then log at LEAST 8oz of 70/30 meat, 8oz of 'white pasta', a few pieces of those bakery style garlic breads that you bake at home, and whatever equivalent of what else you ate. Then add 2tbls oil and 2 tbls butter for cooking with.

Then get your butt to the gym!

P.S. This is one of my main reasons for not cutting out ANY types of food. I have learned to eyeball and eat 'normal' amounts of all kinds of foods that I like, and family dinners don't make me anxious! I eat until I'm full, drink plenty of water, and my weight loss efforts haven't stalled.

Good luck!

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat lightly during the day. Eat small portions of the pasta.. Ask if you can bring a side dish of steamed vegetables.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Just break up.

Okay in all seriousness...

Are you going to avoid eating at friends/relatives houses the rest of your life? Or are you just going to avoid it until you reach goal?

When losing weight it needs to be a lifestyle change, and it needs to be sustainable. Here's the thing though…you also still need to live your life and enjoy your time with friends and family.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Eat a double portion of salad and drink some water before you touch the spaghetti. You'll be fine though. :)
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You can call your relative and see if they would like you to bring a dish, and bring something that you can eat, while still having smaller portions of the pasta!
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Eat the food. Log the food. Move your body. Enjoy your life.